Venice in November?

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:31 PM
erica

Venice in November?

We're planning a trip to Italy in late November. We'd like to start in Venice for a few days. Will it be flooded? How bad will the weather be? Will everything be closed? Does anyone have any tips or observations about this time of year? I don't mind chilly weather and shorter hours (especially in exchange for fewer tourists). But will we see the magic of Venice that everyone talks about if we go in late November?

We want to end the trip with 4 or 5 days in Rome. That leaves us with a couple days in between. Can anyone recommend a great town (somewhere in between Venice and Rome, or not too far out of the way)? We'd love to go somewhere off the beaten path, maybe a farm, cooking school, resort, or just a small lazy town. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
Erica

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Julie

Erica, Except for once I have always visited Venice in November. Could it be flooded? Yes, considering that's aqua alte time. Can the weather be bad, sure. However, there can also be very crisp, golden autumn days and last year it was even in the 50/60's for the first few days of our trip. Eventually it turned a little grey and one day it was particularly blustery but even then the next day it gave over to a very mild autumn day. This year I'll be staying over Thanksgiving and into the first week of December and am looking forward to the potpouri (sp?) of weather. I've always felt that it's worth it considering there are fewer tourists and that it's considered low season for most of the hotels/pensiones (better rates). I can't imagine you would miss out on any magic - you'll just have to return in warmer months (once came in May - gorgeous) and decide for yourself!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:57 PM
ron

Erica, my wife and i were in Venice last Nov. 12-15. Thw tides wer high the day before we got there and then came down. It's definitely an expierience. They have these planks set up in the worse places. Don't let the tides scare you . It's part of Venice and shouldn't be missed I actually loved it. Our Hotel La calcina gave us free boots just in case but we diddn't use. Temperature was chilly around 40 at night and 50"S in daytime but no wind or rain. We loved Venice and would do Nov. again. Crowds are thinned out but I'm sure not like July. Don't expect empty streets but then again getting lost on those streets is amazing fun. In between Rome and Venice I recomment Luca for a day trip out of Florence(definitely stay here if u haven't yet) Also out of florence u can do a short trip to lovely Siena. Have fun

Apr 4th, 2002, 07:51 AM
erica

Thanks so much for the info. We'll be going the week of Thanksgiving also. The weather doesn't sound bad at all. We'll have a 12-year-old and a 70-year-old. If the streets/squares are flooded, will they have trouble getting around? They're both troopers, but I don't want them to have to slog through foot-deep water to get anywhere. How deep are the floods usually?

Since none of us have ever been to Italy, should we do the standard Venice-Florence-Rome trip? Florence and Siena sound wonderful, but I hate to do the typical American circuit. I suppose that is the typical circuit for a reason. Sorry I'm so indecisive.

Is Florence the best choice for our third city? Better than, say, Bologna or someplace else less visited? I hope to return to Italy someday, but I'm not sure my mom will ever get to see it again. That said, is Florence the obvious choice?

Apr 4th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Howard

We were in Venice over Thanksgiving in 1999 and had beautiful weather. Your chances of missing the flooding are excellent at that date. But, if you don't, you'll no doubt consider it an adventure that you'll long remember (and probably fondly, too). If there is flooding, there are risers and planks for you to walk on.
Just about everything was open when we were there. And, the tourists were not overwhelming the city!
And, yes, you will definitely see the magic of Venice that time of the year!
As for the third stop, since this may be your mother's only visit, I would definitely recommend Florence....A chance to see Michelangelo's David is reason enough to go there!

Apr 4th, 2002, 04:29 PM
ron

Erica, remember that the whole city of Venice doesn't flood. Only the low spots like San MArco. But the floods only last a few hours each day and the water goes down. Yes go to Florence and from there recommend day trip to Luca or Siena. If only time available for one do Siena. In florence you'll need three days to see the city. Seeing Siena by bus(about 90 min.)will also give you a glimpse of the Chianti region and all its beauty. IN Venice don't forget to feed the pigeons and have your camera ready. While venice,rome and florence seem like the tourist route , their all different and you will love them. For a view of Italy with more locals try the Luca one day trip by rail from florence. If you would want restuarants let me know by email. Ron

Apr 5th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Julie

Erica, You've been given some excellent advice/information from Ron & Howard (Ron, I actually had just left on Nov. 12th and had been staying at La Calcina!) I think the Florence/Siena suggestion is a fabulous one for what you're thinking of doing. As previously mentioned, even though you might feel this is the typical tourist route (Venice/Florence/Rome) if you have the time, why not do it? They're all very different in temperament and what they have to offer is beyond words - which is why they're so popular. I wouldn't worry so much about doing anything "typical", instead do what you've had your heart set on - you won't be dissapointed.

Apr 5th, 2002, 07:07 PM
jim

Go for it and don't worry about the weather/tides. Over 30 years ago I was in Venice with an early (rare) snowfall in November and returning from a concert through San Marco there was nothing but white and a solitary pair of footmarks diagonally across the square. I've never forgotten the scene. I also had to walk across the planks set up for the flooding but the experience of Venice is so awesome that, in my opinion, it doesn't matter when you go. Venice is delightful at any time. The 12-year old will regard it as an adventure and I'll bet the 70-year old will too. Enjoy it!