Smelly Venice

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Ellie

Smelly Venice

I am trying to plan a 10-12 day trip to Italy the last week of June into the first week of July. My plan is to visit Rome and Florence. I have not decided between then traveling to Venice or the Amalfi Coast. I was leaning more toward Venice, but a friend of mine who lives in Europe told me that she thinks the canals really stink during the summer months. What is everyone's opinion?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:47 PM
peter

the real summer bloom of algae that causes an odor problem is usually not untill later in julu or august. there are the usual salt water smells but i do not find these offensive.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Rhonda

What a stupid and offensive title to a post. Why not stay home in toledo you ignorant loser?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Ellie

I guess the title of the post caught your attention, didn't it? That was the whole purpose, to gain attention in an effort to get replies and useful information. The purpose was certainly not to offend anyone nor was it to receive derrogatory replies. Boy, I hope your day (and your attitude) gets better.
Thank you Peter for your informative and respecful reply.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Rhonda

So Ms. Ellie May could get attention she makes nasty comments about a place people call home? Would you like that title for your hometown? How arogant you are Ellie! Smelly Ellie!!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Nicole

Venice is amazing! I loved it there. I think that that is a lot of bunk about the smell. There was nothing that stunk there except for the high prices on meals but overall it was worth it.
The people were so nice and charming . I remember a very distinguished older gentlemen who came up to me and offered to light my cigarette. We spoke over 2 expressos each for what seemed like the better part of the afternoon.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Capo

Hi Ellie. I heard so much about how bad Venice smelled before my first visit there, in 1987 (mid-September), and it didn't smell bad to me at all.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Veronica

Nicole-I am sure the "gentlemen" you met paid for the meals in exchange for your "company." But you know the best things in life don't come cheap darling. And it is not polite to talk price anyway!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:53 PM
cowboy

Ellie, based on the response drom Rhonda, you can see that you torked off the travel PC police in Fodors.

If Venice does have a bad smell in the summer months, you must never point this out.

Yah see, the only thing that is open season in here is how trashy, how uncouth and how unsophisticated we silly Americans are.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:58 PM
xxxxx

A friend told me that Provence really stinks in the summer also -- she hates the smell of lavender. Guess I shouldn't bring that up either.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Uncle Sam

Right on Cowboy...Yuda man!

I've been to Venice in June and guess what folks.....the canals stunk!

Uncle Sam

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Foreigner

Hey, Rhonda, the only impoliteness allowed here is to complain about cigarettes odor on clothes one wears to be in an European night club, right? And bashing European smokers in a very rude fashion. As you just answered Ellie, calling her "ignorant loser".. I wonder who is the rude ignorant here...

Call it fairness...

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Rhonda

When someone defends a nasty attack on a beautiful European city it is "PC" but if someone were to do the same regarding an American city you would be the first to blast them! Hypocrate cowboy !!

Nothing smells as bad as Sam's breath and is as vile as his thought processes.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Bob

No sam that was your rotten arse you were smelling

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Rhonda

Foreigner--you don't know the difference between criticizing a disguting habit and bashing the name of a great city. I thought you were smarter than that..

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Uncle Sam

Rhonda,

No Darlin, American cities have their own set of problems and Uncle Sam will admit that.

However, it takes a real idiot to tell folks that the canals in Venice do not smell in the Summer.

Probably the same idiot that claims the French do not smell on the Metro in August!

Rhonda, perhaps you are that idiot?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Uncle Sam

Bob,

you should know!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Rhonda

are you not bright enough to know the difference betwen asking a question and entitling a thread "smelly venice." Man, you are ignorant! Would you like it if someone entitled a thread "Ass-smelling Atlanta" Even if it were true, you would reem them!

And I noticed you are obsesed with smells and yet admitted to bob your nasty ares stinks! You dont shower or wipe I guess. Typical southerner!!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Uncle Sam

Rhonda,

Nice mouth!

Surely you don't put food in that cess pool!

Uncle Sam

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:43 PM
cowboy

Rhonda, dontcha want to clarify your statment? Dontcha mean typical white southerner.

Since we mean ole nasty Southern people cause 80% of the world's problems, we know that you'd never be so politically incorrect to bash the black or asian people who claim to be Southern Americans.

Of course we know you meant only ole whitey!! ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -