Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice in May- how many days? Tentative itinerary

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the great information on Italy I've gotten from the board. I've been sucking up as much as I can for weeks, and I'm ready to ask for help!

My question is how much time is good for Venice? I've noticed that in past posts, people have suggested taking days away from Venice in favor of other cities. My hubby and I have 8 days in May next year, and we want to see as much as we can, without feeling like we need a vacation when we get home. We want to stick around in 1 general area, instead of doing a whirlwind tour of Italy. (We're hoping there will always be another trip...)

Our plan is to take 4-5 days in Venice, then split the rest among the smaller towns in the Veneto. (He's a big art and architecture freak and I'm along for the ride.) Does that sound like a good plan? Are there any places in the Veneto that warrant more than a 1 day stay?
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:30 AM

The average tourist thinks of Venice as Disneyland, 3 to 4 days tops. For any history buff who understands that at one time this amazing little place ruled the world, a lifetime of study wouldn't suffice. Good luck with your decision.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:38 AM
rex

Your money will go further if you limit your nights in Venice. I think that you can enjoy Venice just fine with no fewer than two nights - - ideally perhaps, with thre days, since you are planning to travel a short distance to get to, or move on from Venice.

Might even be worth your while to consider flying into (or out of, or both) one of the "lesser" airports such as Venice Treviso, Verona or Brescia. None has flights to/from another continent - - but chances are you would be connecting to Venice anyhow, via London, Paris, Milan, etc.

My own experiences in the area have all been very positive - - Garda, Sirmione, Verona, Padua, Bassano del Grappa and Trento. Each would be suitable for one, two- or three-night stays - - and visiting other destinations from any one of them as a "base".

It's a hard part of Europe to "do wrong".

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:39 AM
rex

Postscript - - while you might not think that the comments from NYC are helpful to you in making a decision - - I think they are very true.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:11 AM

8 days, 7 nights? Part of the decision depends on your arrival and departure airports. I suggest 3 ights in Venice. Then 4 nights in Verona. Verona is a travel hub--many train lines intersect here. You could stay in Verona and visit a number of places of artistic and architectural interest from there, Vicenza, Padova, Mantova to name a few.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far! We actually have 10 days: May 13-23. I was taking off 2 days for travel, so we would actually have 8 quality days there, with the time change, right?

NYC- I appreciate your take on Venice. We've been agonizing over it because we could spend forever there. We want to see and do everything. Sigh.

Rex- Thanks for the Veneto suggestions. Money, as always, is a factor in where we go, especially since Venice is so expensive. We were thinking of flying into and out of Milan and taking the train to Venice. I read it takes about 2 hours. Is that accurate? Would it be better to take a short flight to Venice?

Ellen- Thanks for the suggestion on Verona. We'd like to take the trains everywhere so one of us doesn't have to drive. Do the trains also go to towns further north? We were thinking of venturing up toward Switzerland a little as well.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:50 AM

Verona is an excellent train hub as train depart from there in all directions, west to Milan and Garda, south to Mantova or Bologna, east to Vicenza, Padova, and Venice, north to the Dolomites (Trento, Bassano del Grappa). Since you have more nights than I thought, you could easily relocate to someplace closer to Switzerand, especially if you anticipate a Milan departure. Most posters here would recommend for sanity's sake a two-night minimum for each hotel, avoiding numerous packing and unpacking.

The train from Milan to Venice is 2-3 hours, but that is from the center of Milan to Venice. If you fly into Malpensa, add the time to get out of the airport with your luggage, into Milan by train or bus, and connect with the train-probably two hours at least. You might be able to add on a cheap flight to Venice and avoid some of that wasted time, depending on the connections.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Ellen- would you recommend starting or finishing in Venice? We were thinking starting in Venice, because this would be our first trip to Italy (and my hubby's first trip out of the US). We're figuring they're VERY used to tourists!

We haven't purchased any tickets or made any reservations, so we have a lot of room to play around. Do you have any suggestions for a great town in the Dolomites as a home base up there?
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:55 AM

JBee,
If you have limited time then of course you'll have to split up your time in Venice........But I just returned from Venice & 10 days wasn't nearly enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:07 AM
rex

You spend an inordinate number of the first 24-48 hours in Europe in one of the following states: tired, sleepy, grumpy or asleep. Why pay the higher room rates of Venice to be there like that? Put it in the middle or at the end.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Rex- that's a great point. I didn't think about jet lag and I'm no fun when I'm grumpy. Where would you suggest starting?
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:13 AM

You really could just stay in Venice the whole time. Although Venice lodging is relatively expensive compared to other towns, it is an incredibly cool place, and well-served by a rail station that's very easy to get to and use, assuming you decide to take day trips (which you may not). Plus the longer you stay the less (per day) you'll spend on lodging. If you get an apartment you'll have the double benefit of saving some food on meals, and feeling more a part of the community while you're at it.

I spent a week in Venice this spring with my two school-age children, and we kept busy even without museums. The longer you spend in a single place the cooler it gets, in my opinion.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:17 AM

Most people think that Venice is only the Grand Canal and the sights in and immediately around P. San Marco. These will generally say you can see everything there is to see in Venice in from 1/2 a day to 2 days. Alas, they missed out on a lot.

We spent 4-1/2 days on our first trip to Venice and did not even have time for the Accademia, the Guggenheim, or any of the lagoon islands (Murano, Burano, Torcello, etc.).
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:26 AM

If flying from the US, stay up the first day until 9:30 PM without napping. This has ALWAYS worked for me. I get a great night's sleep and I'm completely energized the following morning. No jet lag. I've recently discovered that departing Europe later in the day and not sleeping on the flight home helps with the return. Coming home has always been more difficult than going. If you're grumpy in Venice, ever, then I suggest there's something wrong with you.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

NYC- Good point! I think my grumpiness would come between the airport and the first glimpse of Venice. Then again, I'll be so excited to be there, Mr. Jbee may escape the wrath of the grumpy wife.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips. I love the suggestion on how to avoid jet lag. We're coming from the Pacific Timezone, so we'll lose a whole day on the trip over! We'll do some more planning and I'll post our itinerary when it's more solid for additional advice.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 04:54 PM
rex

As I suggested in the earlier post - - maybe fly into Verona or Brescia. Ease into it.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:36 AM
ira

Hi jbee,

We all have our own opinions. Mine is to proceed with your original plan.

Fly into Venice, if possible, and spend all of your time there with day trips to towns in the vicinity.

My wife and I have spent over 17 days in the city and still have a list of things to see.

As far as cost goes: The US State Department publishes per diem rates for government travellers to foreign cities. They think that Venice is less expensive than Rome, Florence, Siena and Bologna.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:27 AM

I wonder where the government expects you to stay in Venice?? In a gondola?
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:56 AM

"The average tourist thinks that Venice is like Disneyland, 3 to 4 days tops."

Well, maybe 3 to 4 days in Disneyland is sufficient for you, NYC, you paysant, you bourgeoise, you. But for those of us who understand, who appreciate the duck of sailor jacket, us connaisseurs des souris avec les gants blancs, hardly.

jbee, I'm no authority on Venice but I have some claim to knowledge of cerebral filing cabinets. (Sorry, metaphors running amok today.) Anyway, if you file 'Venice' under flat, marshy, marine' maybe you'd like to spend a couple of days in Lake Garda, with a mountain backdrop. Or if you think of Venice as 'art and architecture' maybe you want to spend some time on some complete leisure activity - I dunno, biking out on the lido?
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:36 AM

"for those of us who understand, who appreciate the duck"

Did someone mention foie gras? Speaking of, where's Daffy Tuck?

"metaphors running amok"...that ain't all, sweetie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -