Search

Venice in July?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Statia

Venice in July?

I've researched this topic on the forum, but had read such conflicting opinions, so please enlighten me some more.<BR><BR>My husband and I are planning to go to Florence and Venice for his birthday and our very special ten year wedding anniversary, both of which fall the first two weeks of July. Is this really a miserable time to go to these two cities; as far as heat, humidity and crowds? I'm starting to have second thoughts after much planning and anticipation.<BR><BR>Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Eye Spy

Statia: The weather is going to be hot and sunny everyday! And I mean hot! Make sure your hotel as A/C. But you would never hear me reconsidering a trip to Italy on any occasion. Each place will be overrun with tourists, more so than at almost any other time of year. That is when Americans go especially. If you are worried about crowds, you could be in Florence during the day and stay in Fiesole, for example, which is lovely and easily accessible to Florence by the local bus, at night. Conversely, hotel rooms are probably going to be cheaper since the weather is so warm, it's not 'optimal' sightseeing weather. You will go and have a great time anyway. Sure you could rent a car and stay out of the city or in a smaller town, but you will have problems parking your car in Florence itself when you come into the city. And as for Venice, the problem of the car doesn't really present itself. You won't need one there and you don't want to go through the hassle of traffic jams leading to the Piazzale Roma. It's a nightmare. Just go! Consider quieter areas of town for Florence to say: like the Oltrarno.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Statia

Eye Spy:<BR><BR>Thanks for the input. Maybe we won't reconsider after all. We are from Texas, but now live in the West Indies, so we are used to heat, but not necessarily humidity anymore. Is the humidity that bad in Florence and Venice in July? Does anyone have any idea what the average daily temp is (or feels like) during July?<BR><BR>Anyone else have any input on the heat and crowds for this month? Thanks.<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Eye Spy

Venice is going to be more humid than Florence since Venice is on the sea. Out on Lido, the breezes can be wonderful. However, that Venetian humidity makes things unbearable when the temperature goes above 85 deg. F. Florence and Tuscany have that dry heat. Once you are in the shade, it's much nicer. Go anyway, have A/C in the hotel, buy a 2 litre bottle of water each to carry around. Florence can get above 90 deg. F for sure in July; so can Venice. The July/August crowds in Venice especially (and all those cruise ships) are overwhelming but that wouldn't stop me. No way.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Tess

Statia, let me throw in my two cents worth on the H&amp;H factor. I presently reside in Big D, so know what a summer day of 95-plus degrees feels like. And I also wouldn't reconsider a trip to Italy any time, BUT, if at all possible you may want to adjust your visit time. The actual temps in Florence &amp; Venice may not get as high as parts of Texas or your present locale in West Indies; yet when you add the humidity AND the human beings, it can get very oppressive. Both Florence &amp; Venice are attractive destinations for their ease in getting around --- cities are small and very walkable. Imagine strolling about for a couple hours, wending your way thru crowded streets on a balmy 88-degree day (that's the &quot;feel factor&quot; added to real temps).<BR><BR>But if those first two weeks of July are the only available time you have to go, then make sure you book hotels with A/C and get tix to see Uffizzi &amp; Accademia/David (both in Florence) ahead of time.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Statia

Thanks for the replies Eye Spy &amp; Tess. That gives me more to think about. We are definitely getting rooms/apartments with airconditioning, that's been planned for awhile.<BR><BR>We can actually go anytime, but his birthday and our anniversary are in July. My husband tried to talk me into going in another month, but it doesn't seem like it would be much of a celebration months before or after the fact, you know?<BR><BR>Guess we'll have to discuss it some more. I'm also open to other opinions out there.<BR><BR>