Reload this Page >

Venice in December and info request

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 05:24 AM
Maria

I am going to Venice for one day in december with a friend who has never been there. We are going to attend Rigoletto at La Fenice. Does anyone know exactly how to get to this theater? and if there are night water buses that run back to the train station area after the opera is over?<BR> Also with the high tides will i really have a problem and need boots. If so, is there a suggestion of where i can get them, possilbly in Rome(where i will be for the rest of my trip).<BR> If there is high tides, will i need to avoid certain places and also do the water buses run as usual?<BR> Also in looking for train tickets i ran into to different train stations: Venezia and Venezia Mestre. Can anyone tell me the difference in location of the two of these train station, i've never taken the train from Venice so this is confusing for me.<BR> Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. <BR><BR>Cheers, maria

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 06:05 AM
Keith

Hello Maria! My wife and I just got back from Italy, stayed two nights in Venice. Weather was fantastic. I believe you are refering to Teatro La Fenice which is just a few blocks away from San Marco Square but before you cross over the Grande Canal by di Realto bridge. Their ticket office phone number is 041-521-161. The boats run all the time, but as there are several different kinds, marked by color and names, just ask your hotel and they will be glad to instruct you. Generally the Blue and Red lines travel through the Grand Canal from Stazione di S. Lucia (train terminal) in Venice to San Marco Square and all stops in between. However, if you're staying on the island of Venice, you could easily walk just about everywhere, it's safe and fun. We stayed at the hotel Campiello which was one block away from the Daneli hotel. Perfect location just 100 yards from San Marco square for only $120 per night, you can probably get it for less now. Very nice and quite., ask for room 316. There phone number is 0415239682, or e-mail them at [email protected] . Iin regards to flooding, it happens on occassion during the winter months, we were there November 12th and 13th during a full mood and there was no flooding. Generally it happens in and around San Marco Square, but they have these large longated tables ;they put together for pedestrian traffic to walk on, no problem. Have fun and enjoy. If you need any info on Rome, like the 'perfect' hotel to stay at, let me know. Bye!

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 06:32 AM
Jon

Isn't La Fenice still closed?

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 06:40 AM
Jenny

We stayed just around the corner from La Fenice when we were in Venice at Easter ... it was supposed to be reopening in October, I think....<BR><BR>I can let you have a map if you like - it's literally just over 5 minutes walk from St Mark's Square.<BR><BR>Hope that helps, but hotmail me if you want any further.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 06:48 AM
operalover

Check out<BR><BR>www.teatrolafenice.it<BR><BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 06:57 AM
Surlok

Maria,<BR><BR>I'm not sure if the vaporetti will be running by the time the opera is over, at least, not to San Marco. We went once for a day trip from Venice, and got back after midnight. At that time, the last vaporetto stop was Rialto, it didn't go further. So, make sure it is still running, or you will have to take a water taxi, or even walk to the train station. If the weather is bad, meaning raining or snowing, it won't be too pleasant, but anyway, feasible.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S<BR><BR>Regards, <BR><BR>Surlok

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 07:03 AM
Betsy

Hi Maria<BR><BR>To address the train station part of your question, I was confused by this too. Venezia Mestre is on the mainland and Venezia Santa Lucia is a few minutes away, in the city of Venice on the Grand Canal. Our train ticket said Mestre, but the clerk in the station where we bought it said that all the trains go on into Santa Lucia. <BR><BR>Heads up on your way out of Venice. Your ticket will probably indicate Mestre, but your train will leave from Santa Lucia, a few minutes EARLIER than indicated on your ticket. We had stopped to ask an unrelated question in the Santa Lucia station, when the clerk happened to mention this. We probably wouldn't have thought of it and may have missed our train as a result. It IS confusing!<BR><BR>Buona viaggio <BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 08:42 AM
Steve James

Hello Maria,<BR><BR>La Fenice itself is still closed as Jon said - their 'season' is actually taking place at:<BR> <BR>Teatro Malibran<BR>Calle del Teatro<BR>(near San Giovanni Crisostomo Church)<BR><BR>The nearest vaporetto stop is RIALTO.<BR>From the station (SANTA LUCIA) you can catch either No.1 or No.82 vaporetto to Rialto, from where it should be about 10 minutes walk. (No 82 is quicker).<BR><BR>(From Campo S. Bartolomeo near RIALTO, take Sal. Fontego Tedeschi to SAN GIOVANNI CRISOSTOMO, then Calle del Teatro behind the church to TEATRO MALIBRAN.<BR><BR>There is a night service from Rialto back to Santa Lucia Station, so you will have no problem getting back there.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR>

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 03:47 AM
jerilyn

Well, we were in Venice Nov. 12,13,14th--the "aqua alta" severly occured on two mornings. It was impossible to go or do anything without water boots. The vaporettos were on a "high water" schedule. Water was everywhere and not just St. Mark's Square. Our hotel wasn't even close to there and it was impossible to leave the hotel without boots! It lasted all morning! But we never let anything like that ruin a trip, we just stayed on a boat and went out to Murano (also flooded)and just stayed on the boat until the water was down. They do put up elevated walkways in some locations, but they're not from your hotel to where you want to go. So, do take boots or you can buy them there.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 02:39 PM
ricahrd j vicek

Good evening, Maria I would certainly<BR>make sure that your train if listed<BR>as Mestre really does go into Venice<BR>Santa Lucia Station. The placard on<BR>the side of your car will state Venice<BR>SL or if in doubt ask the conductor.<BR>Beleive at some time that some trains<BR>merely stopped at Mestre before continuing onto their final destinations. Then you would have to <BR>change and get on another train going<BR>into Venice SL. <BR>Also some hotels do have a supply of <BR>boots for guests in the event of high<BR>water. It really is an interesting experience.<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..<BR>

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Maria

Thanks for all the help. Also i checked and the show is at the Teatro Malibran. Does anyone know where this is, i'm having trouble locating it. Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>Cheers, maria

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Steve James

Maria - It's near the Rialto Bridge. For directions on how to get there, see my post above.<BR><BR>Steve

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 09:53 AM
huh?

So Keith was in Venice Nov 12 & 13 and there was no flooding...Jerilyn was in Venice Nov 12, 13 & 14 and there was heavy flooding...?????????!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:12 AM
jerilyn

I double checked our dates--the flooding was on the mornings of November 13th and 14th. It also made the CNN European news on those dates. Made great photos!!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Mary

We too were in Venice on those dates and there was flooding on the 13th (minor ) 14th (fairly major) & 15th (very minor). It only lasts for a couple of hours - but if you hear the sirens go off (they went of at about 10 past 7 am ) plan your sight-seeing carefully and check the maps on every vaporetto stop for the best routes. We got stuck in San Polo & had to wade out.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 03:39 PM
ron

We were inVenice for three nights on the 14,to 16th. Their were high tides but no problems. San Marco usually gets hardes hit with water about 10 inches deep . They do use planks and their fun.Boots can be purchased in venice. Also train stop is Venice S. Lucia not mistre enjoy its a special place. have dinner at madonna