Venice Hotels-Where to Stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide between these hotels (or any others highly recommended).
I've narrowed my choices down to: Metropole, Hotel Bauer, Londra Palace, Luna Hotel Baglioni (if these are not too expensive!!) I'm willing to spend the loot if the hotel is really worth it and I can get a great canal view (side canal view is okay too!) and good breakfast Really looking for something kind of romantic. If these choices are way too expensive, was thinking about considering Pensione Accademia in Dorsodura.
Has anyone stayed here? Is the location good for walking to most attractions/restaurants?
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:56 AM
ira

Hi Gail,

Pensione Accademia is nowhere near the prices of those other hotels.

Do a text search "accademia and Venice" for lots of reports.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:38 AM

It is me again; we have the same taste in hotels! My boss has stayed at the Metropole and loved it. Right on the water but also consider the noise from the gondolas.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Hi
Yes, you have a range there in price and in amenities.
Some friends and family of mine stayed at the Bauer last year, each being fortunately quite used to the best of the hotels. Each felt that the Bauer was one of the best of the best.
Ask for a room in the Palazzo building.

For the Londra Palace and Accademia, both very popular here, do a search here for each, and also check the hotel Rants and Raves comments elsewhere here at fodors.com
Both hotels are always praised, esp the Accademia.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:46 AM

We stayed at the Luna and it was nice but I think that there are definitely better hotels around. We had the view of the roof. And the bathroom was pretty tiny.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Bauer Il Palazzo looks great, but the prices are a bit high. Probably will go with the Metropole. Thanks for your feedback....
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Just stayed for 3 nights at the pensione accademia in a junior suite. It was lovely with a nice bathroom and the Dorsodoro location is great! A quieter, but very convenient part of Venice, just around corner from the Accademia bridge.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Deblev- Thanks for your reply about the Pensione Accademia. It really does look like a nice place, and the prices are very good. Now I'm not sure if I'd rather stay here or the Metropole. The "Accademia" section of Venice looks fairly close to the action, but away from the maddening crowds. Did your room have a nice canal view? Thanks....
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 03:06 PM

We've stayed twice at the Metropole. First room (smallish)was right on lagoon with GORGEOUS view.... but noisy in the early morning when people were on their way to work. (Tho El Husband slept thru it all). Second room was huge... on canal side... again noisy in the morning with traffic, etc. But we love the quiet atmosphere and service of the Metropole.. so if we go back again I will try a garden view room. Friends haave stayed at the Accademia and speak highly of it.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Hi.
I loved the Bauer Grunwald ,very romantic, my husband proposed to me there. The Academia is another thing entirely but good - also alot less expensive.Check out packages on expedia and also CIT I have also stayed at the Hotel Flora - it was really cheap and they did a good breakfast, no canal veiw but close to San Marco Good luck and have fun
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:27 PM

OK, MrsG--where are you staying over your Thanksgiving trek with teens?
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:36 AM

our room did not have a canal view, just a lovely view of the courtyard garden. Actually, the only view of the canal is from the front courtyard where breakfast is served.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 09:02 AM

I stayed at the Luna and loved it. I will definitely stay there again. I had a side canal view. Breakfast was very good, and the location is wonderful.