Venice Hotels-- HELP!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Kim

Venice Hotels-- HELP!

I have been trying to book a reasonably priced hotel in Venice for our early-mid October honeymoon. Pensione La Calcina is fully booked, I cannot get through to the Hotel Riva, and the Hotel Galleria only has a double room without bath (but with a view of the Accademia Bridge) for two nights (we wanted 3). The owners of the Hotel Galleria told me they have just opened up a new hotel, Locanda San Travoso. They say it is in a 15th century Venetian house overlooking a canal in the same area as the Galleria. Has anyone heard of this place? I have done a search and cannot find it. Are there any other charming, reasonably priced hotels in Venice? Please help. Thank you!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 01:29 PM
sally

Kim: My husband and I stayed at the Pensione Seguso 2 falls ago and had a nice room w/ bath (had to specify that) and the price of approx 150/night included breakfast and either lunch or dinner. I liked it very much; great helpful staff, lovely setting in a 16th century palazzo, and good food. I just saw a review of a newly restored hotel in Venice called Locando San Barnaba--13 rooms, interior courtyard, and it is right on a canal. See www.locando-san-barnaba.com or e-mail me for phone and fax. Can also give you the information on Seguso also via e-mail. The article on Locando is in Aug 2000 Gourmet magazine; says it's $115/night.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 01:36 PM
sally

Kim: gave you wrong web site; should be
www.locanda-sanbarnaba.com (note spelling of locanda with a not o). Sorry. Also go to www.karenbrown.com and check out website; there's info on the Seguso under Italy hotels. Let me know if you need further info.; you might also want to look at her book in a
bookstore as it gives more info. than the web does.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 04:57 PM
Bob

Venice hotel: Al Gambero. Nice place, remodeled rooms and baths. Good location. Midway between Rialto and St Marks on Calle dei Fabbri street. You exit the vaparetto at Rialto to go to the hotel. We paid 210000L per night double with breakfast in Oct 99. Phone is 39 041 5224384 Fax 39 041 5200431. The place used to be run down so not too many people are aware that all the rooms have been redone and are small, but nice. Try them. We discovered it on Fodors and were pleased with the recommendation once we arrived.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 05:40 PM
Bob

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Ala a number of years ago, on our honeymoon. When we stayed it was in the process of being renovated and we had a renovated room that was really nice. The room was on a canal and had windows that opened to a small balcony. We only paid around $150 per night (maybe less). The hotel was very close to St. Marks Square. Their web site: http://www.hotelala.it/

In addition, check out this site. We are going to Rome in November and this was very helpful. http://www.italyhotel.com/venezia/index.html.en

My best and congrats.
Bob

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 08:15 AM
kim

Thank you for all your suggestions. We heard back from Locanda Gambrero and I have a tentative reservation with them. I also could get a reservation at Locanda Sturion, and I'm waiting to hear back from Hotel American, Pensione Seguso, & the Santi Apostoli (probably out of our price range). I gave up on trying to get through to the Riva. We'll probably go with the Gambero. Thanks again!

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 10:46 AM
Curt

Loconda Sturion is super, great location right on Grand Canal, very nice rooms and good breakfast. Only drawback is the long flight of stairs from street level to hotel level, and I mean it is LONG. But, worth the climb. We stayed there for two nights and it is a place I would not hesitate to use again...however, pack light since those suitcases get very heavy when climbing those step.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:22 AM
topper