Search

Venice - hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 03:54 AM
Tricia

Venice - hotels

We're 50+ and looking for a medium priced hotel near St Mark's Square. Have been given a special offer on the Hotel Giorgione, Venice Island. Has anyone any comments or suggestions of other hotels?

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 10:20 AM
Holly

I've stayed at the Commercio & Pellegrino several times, and highly recommend it. It's a stone's throw from the San Zaccaria (sp?) vaporetto, and a 2 minute walk to San Marco. The website is http://www.commercioepellegrino.com/room.html

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 11:21 AM
Dona

Tricia, <BR> <BR>I haven't stayed at the Giorgione but stopped in to see it because it looked so nice. It's in an interesting part of Venice - more neighborhood - and not so near San Marco Square. But I like it anyway - and Venice is not so large that you can't walk everywhere. <BR> <BR>There have been a number of postings on the forum about the hotel - and they seem to be positive. I'd stay there - assuming that you don't mind not being so close to San marco... <BR> <BR>Dona

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 04:19 AM
x

You'll get more responses if you post this on the general Europe board. Fewer people read or respond on this one.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 01:07 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Tricia <BR>As far as medium priced hotels near the <BR>Pza S. Marco, I can suggest you check <BR>into www.veniceinfo.it/ This has <BR>a very good listing, plus map locations <BR>of Venice hotels. We have used the <BR>Hotels Saturnia, Do Pozzi, Ala and the <BR>La Fenice over the years and have been <BR>Satisified, Also have read good comments on the Kette, another is the <BR>San Marco. Recently a couple we know <BR>used the Bisanzio and enjoyed much. <BR>The Giorgione, SS Apostoli, 45887 is <BR>about 300 m north of the Rialto Bridge. <BR>this would be about 5 mins walk and <BR>another 5 mins to the Pzs S. Marco. <BR>Have a good trip, ourselves will be <BR>there in early November and am looking <BR>forward to it very much. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il..

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 07:48 PM
Jim Mohundro

We're 50-60 and stayed at the Hotel Bisanzio which is about 100 meters from the San Zaccariah vaporetto stop and about 150 meters from Piazza San Marco. <BR>I'm not sure what a "medium priced" hotel would be. We paid about $200 a night for three nights, which was our big splurge on our first European trip. One of the modest benefits of the Bisanzio is that it is a Best Western (but you'd never know it from the furnishings or service)--so you can reserve a room through an 800 number. <BR> <BR>Its location is very handy as I've indicated above and, since I left the Boy Scouts and the Army a long time ago, I enjoy the amenity of a bath in my room and other comfortable surroundings. Altogether, we were very happy with our choice (which was one of the recommended hotels in Gustafson's "Cheap Sleeps in Italy." If you're not familiar with the book, it discusses the best deals in great detail (not necessarily the cheapest) in each price range in Florence, Venice and Rome. We recommend it highly.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 06:26 PM
Cheryl

just stayed at the Giorgione 3 weeks ago-nice clean hotel with varied rooms and suites. Lovely and quiet-nice breakfast-good desk personal-- There are a group of hotels and inns called Sunflower-Girisol in Italian and we stayed at many of them and they were consistanly good. I will look up the correct spelling and the website for you.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 10:25 AM
Cheryl

website appears to be www.notturno.it----no guarantees but it worked for us. They phoned from each hotel and booked us in at the next one. Good luck--incidently I am deep into my 50s and my husband is a tad older-we didn't feel we comprimised for different North American-European standards. Fell free to e-mail me for more info.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 01:15 PM
Bob

We are also in our 50s and stayed at the Al Gambero with another couple last fall. It is located on Calle dei Fabbri, midway between the Rialto and St Marks. Remodeled rooms, clean remodeled baths. Small, but very clean. I would stay there again.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 03:35 PM
Daniel

Just returned from a stay at the Pensione Accademia and found it quite accessible to San Marco without the crowds. Lovely courtyard, nice rooms, very helpful staff. The walk to San Marco was only about 10 minutes even when we took our time, and the sights along the way were lovely. I'd definitely stay there again. You might do a search to find others' comments on the place. That's how I chose it.