Venice Hotels

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:16 AM
Hoppy

Venice Hotels

Can anyone suggest a two or three star hotel in Venice based on personal experience? If you stayed in Lido, did you find it a hassle tohave to take the water taxi to Venice?
Thankx, Hoppy

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:11 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Hoppy Have used two
three star hotels in Venice, both close
to the Pza S. Marco. The first is the
ALA which is located about three blocks
west of the Pza. and the second the
DO POZZI, which is closer used the Pozzi
about seven or eight times over the years. Two others close and for your
consideration would be the KETTE and
the FLORA, both close by to the DOPOZZI.
Check into www.veniceinfo.it for informations on each of these hotels
and others in Venice. In all these
cases you are within 5 to 8 mins walk
to the Pza S. Marco. On the Lido
the passage from St. Elizabetta vaporetto stop to S. Marco is a matter
of minutes, but from your hotel to the
vaporetto stop and be many additional
minutes, Would suggest stay in Venice
If you want a list of Venice ristorantes
drop me a line. Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:40 AM
eliana

If you are looking for a simple way to look and book a hotel visit this site and see what you think:

www.charmingvenice.com.

They have a comprehensive range of hotels and B&B's to suit everyone's pocket and the site is really easy to use. You will laso find the Hotel Ala and the Do Pozzi which were recommended above. On the site you will also find lots of photos so you can have a good look and see if you like it or not before you go ahead and biik it.

Have a nice holiday

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Mike

If your looking for a great hotel I highly recommend the Hotel Pellegrino&Commercio. It is about 50 yards from the water taxi stand and a half a block from Saint Marks. The prices as of April 1 is about 150.00 which includes a decent buffet breakfast and afternoon tea.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Susan

I highly recommend the Paginelli. It's literally 2 minutes past the Bridge of Sighs on the Grand Canal (away from St. Mark's Sq). Small, clean and very nice!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:41 AM
John H

Hotel Messner is my favorite, at 200-250,000 lira for a double. It's on the "quiet side" of the Grand Canal, one vaporetto stop from Piazza San Marco. Not huge rooms or bathrooms, but modern (they have rooms with air con -- ask when you request a room/rate), quiet and well located away from the bustling tourist crowds.

http://www.familyhotels.com/Welcome/...ssner2.uk.html

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Marty

There are so many lovely, affordable hotels on the island. Please don't stay in Lido, unless you have a reason to want to be there. I stayed in Mestre the first time I was there, and while it was a 10 minute train ride to the island which was no big deal, on subsequent trips, I could not believe what I had missed by not waking up in Venice or by not walking at 2 in the morning to San Marco.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Hoppy

Folks, thanks for all the suggestions..and I appreciate the tips about staying in Venice instead of Lido..especially since it's our first time! Thanks again..Hoppy

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 06:41 AM
marj

we were just at hotel flora. it's a great place. full of charm, quiet and nice staff with good service. i would stay there again. also great location. i think their website is www.hotelflora.com (or .it). They respond quicky to email inquiries.