Search

Venice hotel: Select from the shortlist pls

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice hotel: Select from the shortlist pls

Hi,

First timer in Venice / solo female traveler / love to walk around / but taking into account July heat, expensive transportation & limited time in Venice (3N) / no more than 80-90E per night / must-have air-conditioning, wifi & private decent bathroom

Please help select from the following shortlist (if you think I am quite off from what I should be looking for, please comment):

1. Hotel San Salvador - San Marco 5264 - Calle Galleazzo, Venice

2. Palazzo Selvadego - San Marco 1224/B - 1235, Venice

3. Hotel La Fenice Et Des Artistes - San Marco, Campiello della Fenice 1936, Venice
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 04:43 PM

Don't know any of those hotels - it isn't our price point.

Have you checked them out on tripadvisor?

San Salvador may not have an elevator and says the room is "tiny" which means it will be about 2 feet wider than a twin size bed. And have you checked the price for your date - they say STARTS at 100 euros but more in high season.

Palazzo Selvadego does not mention AC for the basic room - only the upgraded ones. And the rates are WAY above your budget.

The 3rd hotel seems to have singles starting in your price range but the web site is not very informative. It look slike they may chrage extra for AC - and I would check the status before booking it.
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 07:13 PM

That's a very low budget for Venice and you probably want get all of your wish list unfortunately.

If you provide links to the hotels it is helpful.
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you going later this month? If so, you don't really have time to seek opinions. Or do you have something booked and are just considering other options?

Would you consider a convent or monastery stay?

http://www.donorione-venezia.it/en/index.html

http://www.monasterystays.com/?a=des.../Veneto/Venice
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 09:22 PM

1. Join the Choice Hotel program.

2. Check on availability at the Hotel Diana, which is a great hotel two blocks off St. Mark's. Rooms there and elsewhere in Italy are currently on sale for 10,000 points per night, and in fact have been offered at reduced point prices for three years or more off and on, mostly on.

3. If there is availability, buy 20,000 Choice points at $11 per thousand, or $220. Use these to buy two night's lodging in a very nice hotel at an effective rate of around $110 per night. They will charge you an additional $3 for some type of city tax. The breakfast is quite good, but not scrambled eggs and bacon or anything.

It is too late to do you any good for this year, but Choice Hotels has made points available through an offer called "dailygetaways" for several years now at a rate of about four cents per point. This promotion is offered in May or June each year. I have bought more than 400,000 points and have stayed at the Hotel Diana a couple of times at an effective rate of about $43 per night. This is a good rate for Venice.

I might add that this hotel has pretty reasonable rates anyway, although they do jump up and down. I just checked a date for a few weeks ahead and it came out at 117 euros for a single room. As someone who has stayed there, it is worth it just to be a few steps from St. Mark's.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Sorry for disappearing when all of you are trying to help me. Basically, my trip has begun and I am in Amsterdam. It's been 2 days here. It's been great!!

I should have specified I have a tentative booking with cancellation facility with San Salvador & Palazzo hotel both.

Price wise, San Salvador is 80E per night. and Palazzo is 90E per night.

As per my booking, San Salvador room is AC and the hotel is only 1 floor and has 10 rooms total. Palazzo room is 'standard single room' which is described to have AC.

Which of the two would you recommend based on location and any past stay experience, if any?
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 06:13 PM

I have not stayed in either. Both are located in main tourist areas. but in the evening you will find its more peaceful and the hordes and I mean hordes of day trippers are gone. so its really lovely to take a walk, take a ride down the grand canal, have a meal.

Venice is a pretty safe city (though watch your purse in crowded areas as in all cities full of visitors)

the difference of 10 euros is about $14 . Not all that much but the Palazzo includes breakfast. the san Sal does not have breakfast at all and you will have to go out.

Of course you wont need to spend $14 for a typical continental breakfast, . I personally prefer to be able to have breakfast and then go back to my room, and use the bathroom before heading out for the day. but again that is up to you. either one will be fine.
Old Jul 26th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. I selected the palazzo hotel ultimately. Looks like a good location and a nice hotel.

Right now, in Salzburg. Loving it. Salzkammergut is so beautiful.