Venice Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going on a Med cruise leaving and arriving back into Venice. This is our first trip there. I am looking for recommendations on a 3-4 star hotel for 2 nights before the cruise and 1 after in a convenient location. Are there any more convenient to getting to the airport after the cruise?
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Most convenient after the cruise would be to stay close to Piazzale Roma for easy access to the inexpensive airport bus.
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM

On our last 2 visits to Venice we have stayed at the Residence Corte Grimani. It is conveniently located between St. Mark's Square and the Rialto Bridge. It may not be the most convenient to the docks, but it is our favorite place to stay. You can always get a water taxi to drop you off and pick you up right outside their front door.

www.cortegrimani.com
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 03:28 AM

Again, talking up my tried and true favorites, and this friends and I stayed at and loved! Accessible, nicely staffed as always, and for me service is always key. And though Venice is an especially expensive city in general, at least the rates were quite comparitively good.

http://www.italiancollection.com/en/...el-nobile.html
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 03:37 AM

We liked the Giorgione and also La Commedia, both nice 4 stars, well located.
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM

One that is very convenient to the train station (and thus the airport buses, and cruise ship port, is Grand Hotel Principe. http://www.hotelprincipevenice.it/en/index.htm

The Principe (4 star) is in easy walking distance to the buses (Piazzale Roma), roughly half a mile from the ship docks, and less than a couple hundred feet from the train station. It is on the Grand Canal, and is a converted palace.
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Is the grand principe close to all of the sites, and would it be convenient pre and post cruise? Or should we stay at an airport hotel on our last day (there is a courtyard marriott there).
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM

You want the Blue bus from Piazzale Roma to VCE---only :20 and about 6E---the bags go in the belly of the bus. The Pricipe is convenient for that. So is, Hotel Gardena--even closer.
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

The Principe looks more like our taste than the Gardena... trip advisor gives it 3.5/5... some like it, others not so much...any others that are convenient? How far to St. Mark's square and other sites from the Principe?
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 11:34 AM

If you want to be close to Piazzale Roma for the blue ATVO bus (which, incidentally, costs 3 Euro per person), choose a hotel on the same side of the Grand Canal rather than one like the Principe, which is on the other side.

Look at Antiche Figure and Carlton & Grand Canal.

From any hotel near Piazzale Roma/Ferrovia, it's about 20-30 minutes to Piazza San Marco by vaporetto. The No. 1 makes more stops, so it takes longer than the No. 2.
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM

I also stayed at the Corte Grimani, the rooms were a nice size. I think we didnt look like the right types so they were overly friendly. The rooms were very nice though.

Has anyone stayed in Lido?
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

What do u mean by the "right types"? What is the difference in which side of the canal one stays at?
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 10:09 AM

My Dad Famousuncleart and I Iook somewhat poor to stay in an upscale hotel. When I walked in they said can I help you like we didnt belong there. This was after getting their horrible directions to the hotel and walking around for an hour. They were nice to us on our last day.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

I read in Rick Steve's Venice that the area around the P. Roma is too crowded... any feed back?
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM

I wouldn't necessarily choose a Piazzale Roma location for both parts of your stay, but for the one night after the cruise it is ideal for being near both the cruise port AND the land bus/taxi station at Piazzale Roma for your departure the next day.

I think the San Marco area is just as unpleasantly crowded (if not more) \.

The "right"side of the canal has to do with the hotel being more "walkable" to Piazzale Roma. If you are on the "wrong" side of the canal, you may have to drag your luggage over a high bridge. This may not be a problem for you.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

so where would u recommend for before the cruise... after we will stay near the p. roma
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 06:12 PM

I've enjoyed staying in a number of areas of Venice, my least favorite being diretly near Piazza San Marco. I've always enjoyed the area of Dorsoduro, on the other side of the Grand Canal from the craziness of San Marco. Similarly San Polo and Santa Croce. My recent favorite hotel, just steps from the vaporetto stop San Stae is Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo--charming and quiet yet a few minutes walk to Rialto.

http://www.alpontemocenigo.com/en/index.htm
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Ellenem:
<i>My recent favorite hotel, just steps from the vaporetto stop San Stae is Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo--charming and quiet yet a few minutes walk to Rialto.</i>

A big ditto...we were just there in October... highly recommend it.
Stu T.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

I will give it a try.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 12:40 AM

Hotel Amadeus is a good hotel, near Piazzale Roma and train station in Venice. Cozy rooms and friendly staff...plus it has a good restaurant. http://www.hotelamadeusvenice.it/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -