Venice - Hotel or BB

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice - Hotel or BB

Looking for a reasonably priced place to stay convenient to St. Mark's Sqaure in November. Considering Ca'Angeli or Al Teatro. Any comments on their convenience to St. Marks? Any other suggestions? I don't want to get lost at night returning to my room.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:06 AM

In November 2005, I stayed in a lovely hotel, Palazzo Foscari, which is located very near the Ca' d' Oro vaporetto stop. This is about a 10-12 minute walk to St Marco (easy) This is a lux hotel with a fantastic breakfast buffet. Booked via hotels.com for an average $130 a night (weekends were higher). This was my bargain accomodation of the century!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I can't seem to find a web site for it. How far is it from St. Mark's Square?
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, 2 more questions. Is this the same hotel as: Foscari Palace and when did you book?
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:20 AM

I second the Palace Foscari. We stayed there for three nights last year. It's a small hotel right on the Canal. Our room was larger than most we've had in Europe and very elegantly decorated. If I get back to Venice, that's where I'll stay. I booked it through Expedia.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 05:50 AM

rutgers, I think you are right. That's Foscari Palace (not Palazzo Foscari nor Palace Foscari) at Campo Santa Sofia, with the traghetto stop of the same name, that links the campo and the famous Rialto fish market across the Grand Canal, that Margaret is talking about.

I stayed there twice, first time in 2004 the year they opened, in one of their deluxe double, a corner room with frontal view of the Grand Canal (great room at €160 per night), and in Gonzaga Suite (€230 per night) last year. Gonzaga WAS FABULOUS with two windows with balcony on the Grand Canal and their low season rates was so affordable (Late Nov-Dec). Very good hotel from almost all the aspects. If you do a text search with " Foscari Palace" and/or Gonzaga suite, you will find posts about this hotel by me and by others.

If you are considering this hotel, contact them directly on this site to :
http://www.hotelfoscaripalace.com/eng/foscari/home.asp

The two hotel you mention get good reviews too. Ca'Angeli seems to have a "better" Grand Canal location than Foscari. And Al Teatro is the closest to Piazza San Marco, isn't it? But even from Foscari Palace, it's maximum 20 minutes walk. I don't know what is your resonable price but I would take Foscari Palace for its affordable price to get the Grand Canal view but any of the three wouldn't be a bad choice. As to getting lost, it happens but it's not a big deal. You will found your way eventually.

If you go to tripadvisor.com, you will find many reviews about Foscari Palace. I posted mine with photos in December 2005 or January 2006.

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:24 AM

If you are considering this hotel, contact them directly on this site :
http://www.hotelfoscaripalace.com/eng/foscari/home.asp

Above because you can get info/help directly from the hotel's recpetion. You cannot for example request a particular room (especially the suites) on the booking site.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:15 AM

rutgers77, as kappa pointed out the correct name is Foscari Palace. I booked in April 2005 for late November (25th to 30th). Another couple, friends of ours, also booked for the same time via hotels.com and Davina (desk clerk) made the correct supposition that we'd be traveling together when she saw the same booking dates and reserved rooms next to each other for us. Kind of an indication of the professional service at the hotel. The most direct walk to San Marco is really nice, passing the Rialto Bridge and through the Mercurie (sp)shopping streets. But there are many different routes you can take. As the Foscari Palace is right off Strada Nuova and close to Ca'd'Oro, you can always hop on the vaporetto at night. It's true that the streets (or I should say alleys)are darker then most of us are used to and my first trip I avoided many at night - I guess my NYC survival instincts wouldn't allow me to walk down blind alleys. On my second trip, I had no qualms. kappa's advice to contact the hotel directly might be a good idea, too. When we checked in Davina told us that, had we booked directly, they would have probably matched the rate. IMO, it's always nicer to deal directly with the hotel. Of course, it doesn't look like the Euro will be going down so using the US$ website is advantageous. I posted a review on tripadvisor-here's the link:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ce_Veneto.html