Venice hotel or apt---time to choose.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Venice in October for 3 days/2 nights. 2 ladies, first -timers so helpful on-site staff is desirable. We depart VCE at 19:30 on the 3rd day, so must keep in mind storing our bags , return to the hotel to get them, then get to the airport. Prefer a canal view, but price is also a factor. Here are the offers we have. Please help us decide.

<u>CA' SATRIANO</u>--120eu
Far side of S. Marco district near Accademia Bridge. Their smallest room (Mask) overlooks the canal and music conservatory. It looks beautiful and gets exc reviews. They offered a much larger room (Mermaid)for 140, but it overlooks the garden.
http://www.ca-satriano.com/

<u>LOCANDA LEON BIANCO</u>--140eu
Near Ca' d'Oro. Double room &quot;on the side canal&quot;. Gets exc reviews, but most reviewers were in the larger, grand canal rooms. Some said the side-canal rooms can be dark and undesirable. Too iffy?

<u>PALAZZO FOSCARINI (apt)</u>--120EU
Unsoliticited email thru Veniceby. The few reviews are good.
In Dorsoduro, across the Rio di S. Margherita from the Accademia...vaporreto C&agrave; Rezzonico. Garden view. 2nd floor. Lots of space. Separate sleeping areas...that's nice. The apt looks lovely. I've written to confirm it's the same apt shown on the website. Don't know about this locale.
http://veniceby.com/palazzofoscarini/pages/profile.htm

-----------------------------------------------

We're leaning toward the small room at Ca' Satriano, just for the canal view. (Too bad their larger room is garden view!) Anyone have any input re: 2 ladies walking that area at night?
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:55 AM

JeanneB
The apartment Palazzo Foscarini is priced per person......I'm looking for an apartment in Venice so I checked the web-site &amp; found that info in the &quot;FAQ&quot; section.

I have found Venice to be very safe for &quot;two ladies&quot;......my sister &amp; I have been to Venice several times....have felt comfortable in all of the sestiere's.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

That seems very misleading. My email says: &quot;120 EUR <u>Per Accommodation</u> Per Day, which sums 240,00 EUR (Approx. 283.70 USD) for the whole stay, all taxes included&quot;.

I guess &quot;per accommodation&quot; means per person...that wouldn't have been my first guess.

Thank you sooooo much for pointing that out. It could've been disastrous.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I find it hard to believe that &quot;per accomodation&quot; means &quot;per person&quot;. Are you telling me that since they say 5 people can stay there, that they would charge 600 euro per day for 5?? Please tell me that isn't true!

Although I see by clicking on FAQ as you did, that it is INDEED true. I think posting rates as per accomodation meaning &quot;per person&quot; at such outrageous rates would make me never use the firm Veniceby.com! Don't pull the language barrier excuse on me. If they wanted to be clear they would say &quot;per person&quot;.

If I am looking for an &quot;accomodation&quot; to me that means an apartment or a hotel room. I see nothing wrong with listing prices per person, but there is something misleading about the way they do it, and totally crazy to charge 5 times as much for the same apartment when 5 people are staying there as when only 1 is -- although I suppose they would never let one person have it for 120 euro.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Patrick:

From a post you put up last September, I thought you had stayed at the Foscarini. It had a link to something like the world-world travel site...no longer working.

I guess I could write them...again. But I'm fairly put off by just the confusion of using that word &quot;accommodation&quot;.

At this point, the Satriano is looking better and better.

Anyone have any comments on the Leon Bianco's &quot;side canal&quot; doubles?
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

One more warning:

The offer from Foscarini was <i>unsolicited</i>, as often happens with the &quot;_____.by&quot; sites.

When you write to Hotel X for info, there's a box you can check to say do NOT send this to other properties. If you forget to check it, apparently your info goes to other unkown properties and you will get offers from some you didn't inquire about.

So beware.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:31 AM

1. Too bad about the Foscarini flat. Purest coincidence: I discovered it this morning while checking out accomodation for a possible winter holiday and thought it looked like a real &quot;keeper&quot; for us 2.

2. Re canal view: Canals are the traffic arteries of Venice. Canal view -- especially of the Grand Canal -- can be a very mixed blessing, as we discovered in February 2004, when garbage collection started at 6:30 am outside our ground-floor canal-fronting flat.

Vaporetti, motoscafi, garbage scows all ply the canals.

No matter where you stay, you will be falling over, though I hope not into, canals.

WRT the Grand Canal in particular: Can you imagine any other city in the world of which people said &quot;We insisted on a room overlooking the city's busiest thoroughfare -- the bus traffic was an especially welcome addition&quot;? (LOL)

Venice's hidden gardens, by contrast, are a largely unsung treasure......
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Hmmm. Jeanne, no, that Foscarini apartment doesn't even look familiar to me. I did stay at a place that was on a website like that, independently owned, so maybe that link used to work to it? In fact I can't seem to locate a link to the apartment we did rent!

And maybe the mixup happened because our favorite and daily breakfast spot, as well as for great pizza is the little &quot;Bar Foscarini&quot; next to the Accademia Bridge! We had breakfast there almost every morning.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 11:01 AM

I believe this is the apartment Patrick last stayed in while in Venice:

http://www.world-world.com/site/user...&amp;ad_id=516
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Another apartment, right around the corner from the Taverna San Trovaso, is:

http://www.jesolo-venice.com/venezia1.htm

Beware: the website makes the apartment look just a little bit lovelier and larger than it really is. No washer, though.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Holly, that's it. I couldn't get the world-world.com website to work before, but your link brings it right in.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

I wrote them back asking whether the Foscarini rate is per person or the total. May as well resolve this. If &quot;per accommodation&quot; means per person, I'll post a separate thread to let people know to watch for it. I've never encountered that before. It's only fair to the establishment that I try to straighten it out on this thread.

=========================================

Meanwhile, I'm really torn between the small room/canal view or the much larger room overlooking the Satriano's courtyard. The larger room also has a lovely bath with jacuzzi tub.

The canal view is on Rio del Santissimo between Cpo S. Maurizio and Cpo S. Stefano. The B&amp;B is across from the music conservatory.

Does anyone know if this is a small dark canal or would the view be worth giving up the larger room?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:43 AM

From the hotel's own map, it seems as though:
1. the canal is a little &quot;pencil&quot; leading, at some small distance, to the Grand Canal
2. there is no fondamenta -- i.e. no canal-side sidewalk to permit access, though there is an opening to the canal near the hotel

It thus looks to be a smallish canal, without larger views and, perhaps, apt to be dark because the space is not enlarged with a fondamenta.

Central, convenient location though.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:02 AM

JeanneB, I emailed them also to ask. We'll see if they answer us both and the same.
I went back to that site and saw other apartments that also stated &quot;price per accomodation&quot; and then when you go to their FAQ, it states &quot;per apartment&quot; so there is a clear lack of consistency on that website. I still can't believe that the price of 120 euro per night would be &quot;per person&quot; for 5 people or 600 euro per night for the apartment!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

<i>I still can't believe that the price of 120 euro per night would be &quot;per person&quot; for 5 people or 600 euro per night for the apartment! </i>

When I enquired, I told them it was for 2 persons. If it IS a per person rate, then maybe it goes down as the number of persons goes up. Now I'm really curious.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Patrick:
It seems we misjudged the Foscarini!

They've replied that the 120 euro quote is for the apartment, NOT per person. They also confirmed that the apartment has 1 double bed in the bedroom, 1 double sofa bed, and one single bed in a mezzanine.

Though I can't tell much about the bath from the website, this looks like quite a good deal. I also don't know about the neighborhood, but I haven't read anything bad about that part of the Dorsoduro.

Now I feel bad. If someone were to do a search on this apartment, they would come across this long thread about their
&quot;outrageous pricing practices&quot; and might not get this far down. Do you think I should post a separate thread?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:03 AM

No, I wouldn't do that. And anybody who reads this in the future, SHOULD read to the end. I hope they change their clearly stated phrase on FAQ that the Foscarini price is &quot;per person&quot;. I just knew that couldn't be right!

By the way, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't actually call that part of Venice the Dososduro -- sort of removed from what I thought the boundaries were. I'd think that is part of San Croce. It's not terribly convenient, but on the other hand not bad either. It does look like a nice value at the &quot;per apartment&quot; prices.

The easiest traghetto stop to get to would probably be San Basilio on the Giudecca. Or you can wind around and eventually get out to the Grand Canal at either San Toma or San Samuele. That is the area I never fail to get hopelessly lost in.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:21 AM

What readers SHOULD do and what they WILL do ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Nobody can control behavior which is why it's best to accrue many facts before ever jumping to negative conclusions.

Unfortunately, many readers won't get to the &quot;bottom&quot; of this thread. So few have time or the inclination to read that far. Oh well, not everyone has access to the holy grail of knowledge and this sure ain't a perfect world.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

The website says the nearest vaporetto is San Toma.

I think we'll stay at the Satriano since it's closer in and this is our first visit. But I will keep this apartment in my favorites for future reference.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

I went ahead and posted a short thread clarifying the term &quot;per accommodation&quot;. I think it's only fair to the apartment owner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -