Venice help with hotel

Old Jul 30th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice help with hotel

Hi all,
I will be traveling to Venice in October for 4 nights.
I am a single woman and would love hotel recommendations.
Thanks.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Budget?
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 07:14 PM

We really enjoyed staying at the Locanda Orseolo on our last visit. Very nice, helpful, staff and a good location right off San Marco square but slightly tucked away so easy to get away from the hustle and bustle.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 07:40 PM

Ai Cavalieri. We stayed there in April and loved it. It is a short walk from St. Mark's and the Rialto but just far enough off the beaten path to give the feel of being in a quiet and secluded neighborhood.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 07:59 PM

I second KTravel’s recommendation of the Locanda Orseolo. My stay was at the end of August last year in a room with a canal view, gondoliers and delivery boats gliding by under my window.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

I prefer not to spend more than $150.
More concerned about staying in a safe, quiet area, close to things to see.
I always say it's better to go a second time when you know the lay of the land, etc.
Have never been to Venice.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 06:47 AM

I usually follow the advice of sites such as booking.com or Hotels.com : you can range them according to the ranking given by customers. You can also preselect the range of price. Doing both gives a good idea.
Then you can read the comments or read TripAdvisor's comments. Taking those with a biger pince of salt since you are not even sure people stayed at the hotel in the first place..
Doing this on hotels.com right now for a date in october (23rd) my rec would be Ca Furlan 260 reviews, 9.8/10 as final note. 126 € per night. One apartment was quote 10/10 but only one review, so I would discard it, one was A little cheaper but 3,6 kms from center of the city so I would discard it too. Another one was nearly as good but only 17 reviews, so in the end I'd go to Ca Furlan.
That is how I do, I prefer to follow large numbers of recs on these kinds of site than random recs from travel forums or blogs.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 08:00 AM

I use a similar strategy to thibaut for research. However, I always book directly with the hotel. If they quote a higher rate than booking.com or hotels.com, I'll let the hotel know. Usually, they will match price. That way I don't have to worry about a third party travel service botching up the reservation.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 09:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
$150 euro, usd, canadian?

https://www.lacalcina.com/
I love this hotel. I've stayed here twice, once solo in one of the smaller single non-view rooms, and once with a friend in a corner view room. I checked random dates in early October and see 213 euro/night rate.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've stayed in La Calcina but the singles are small and I found the staff unfriendly. Also sounds like it's too expensive. My last trip I stayed in a much cheaper B&B in Sant' Elena, but although it was steps from a vaporetto stop and convenient for the bicentennial it's not central.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 10:43 AM

Well I loved my stay there. The staff was nice enough to me. It is where my friends living in Switzerland choose to send their visitors and guests. Yes the single rooms are small, but gorgeously furnished. More important, it fits perfectly the request for: safe, quiet area, close to things to see... so I felt it worth mentioning even though somewhat over the desired price.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not say that mine was "gorgeously furnished", although it did have a sliver of a side view from a mini balcony. I objected to the note in the room forbidding doing your own laundry since the bathroom got wet when you showered (I ignored the note, given the very high prices for hotel laundry).
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:03 AM

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay there. I still think it might be a perfect for Goldie. Fits all of her requests if she can stretch her budget a bit. I loved the patio out over the canal where you could eat breakfast.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:20 AM

I too use thibaut's method of choosing a hotel. Unless I get a very good personal recommendation at my specified price, I stick with that method.

I once was a little frightened in Venice staying in an apartment between the Orto and Fondamente Nuove vaporetti stops. We walked late at night from more central areas. I told my husband that I was frightened.
He said, "I'm not."
I said, "You haven't seen Don't Look Now."

Venice is very safe, but don't watch Don't Look Now before you go.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The debate re La Calcina is semi-moot since it may not fit in the budget. Don't know the specific dates in Oct but random 4 night bookings brought up the most basic 'classic' room without view to be €865 for the 4 nights (they are running a 4th night free special so this is 25% off their normal rates). But there were no single rooms available the 3 booking I tried. IF your dates are a time they have single availability, then it would be much cheaper.

$150 US (assuming US) = about €129. Oct is very much high season in Venice.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
and a lot of those Booking.com recommendations come directly from TripAdvisor or at least they used to.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 02:55 PM

Are you arriving by train, plane or ship? Actually all three are at the "upper" end of the Grand Canal, but depending on what you wish to do, you may wish to avoid the crowds right up at the train station/port area. We liked staying off the Accademia Bridge, which is easily accessed without bridges/steps from the Vaporetto. We are arriving by plane and will take the Alilaguna directly to the Zattere and not needing to reboard from bus to vaporetto. You can access a water taxi but it's pricey. This area is close to the Peggy Guggenheim, San Marco Sq (advise against staying in that area), and the Dorsoduro easy to explore on foot. You need to map out the city and choose accordingly. We stay at the Agli Alboretti.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Just looked it up and no availability for my dates which I can't change.
Any advice about what neighborhood to stay in? Restaurants?
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

HI,
Thanks for your recommendation. Just looked it up and no availability for my dates.
Any advice about what neighborhood to stay in and or restaurants, shops, etc.?
Thanks.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for your recommendation.
Looks lovely but way out of my price range.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -