Venice-help with choosing neighborhoods for hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all of you who gave me input about parking in Venice. Now I am hoping you all can help me with the second part of my question-logistics around choosing a neighborhood and a hotel.

My friend in London suggested Leon Bianco or Galleria. Because I am bringing my mother-in-law who has difficulty walking long distances, what I am most concerned about is getting to the hotel and walking around "touristing" afterwards. Do water taxis take you "right to your door" as opposed to vaperettos which I assume have stops?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for nice hotels where we can minimize the walking-in the sense that it is centralized to see the main tourist attractions. I realize Venice by its very nature must require a fair amount of walking-but what I am after is an arrival/hotel/neighborhood strategy to make it as nice an experience for my mom-in-law as possible. She can walk fairly well, manage stairs, etc. Since this is a first trip for her-I really want to make sure she doesn't feel exhausted-but has good memories of the trip Even though we only have 2-3 days in Venice-I would like to make the pace slow enough for her really enjoy what we see of it-so I figure being in the right neighborhood is important.

Any other things that you guys think I should think about in planning this would be greatly appreciated. The last time I was in Venice I was 18-so very much in the low budget, walk everywhere mode. And this definitely won't be that kind of a trip.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Water taxis will take you right to the hotel if the hotel has a canal entrance. Otherwise they will take you to the nearest place they can.

Distances in Venice are much shorter than they appear on the map. I have trouble walking long distances and I went almost everywhere on foot. Lots of steps going up and over the bridges, though.

We stayed at the Hotel Kette, which is very centrally located not too far from San Marco but off on a very quiet street.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 09:42 AM

what is your nightly budget? I can make several suggestions based on that and your dates....
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi bams-I am hoping to stay under 125 euros for a double room, but would go higher for more convenience (versus just more amenities)

jpie
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 11:50 AM

what are your dates or time of year?
125.00 euros won't go too far in Venice - unless you want to be near the train station (uggh)...let me know.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

hi bams-yeah I am seeing thatas I research-so I would be comfortable going up to 175-200 euros if necessary-so if that opens up other thoughts-let me know-we will be going the first week of November-so some hotels consider it medium or low season and others count high season til the 8th or so....
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 12:24 PM

..check venere..just avoid the train station and at this time of year the lido.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 12:28 PM
ira

Hi jp,

Here are hotels within your budget that have been recommended on this board:

http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/
http://www.theinnkeeper.com/bnb/7514
http://www.hotelbernardi.com/en/hotel.html
http://www.veniceby.com/hotelacalcina/
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM
awbaker

I loved our room in Venice for 125 euros at La Calcina. It is very close to the Accademia bridge & museum. Our room was beautiful with white linens, antiques, large bathroom, and a large terrace with a partial view of the Guidecca canal. A watertaxi can take you right to the hotel since it is on the canal, and there is also a vaporetto stop closeby -- 5 minute walk. Zattere is the vaporetto stop name. The hotel has a canalside restaurant and also a roof terrace available for guests.

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 12:39 PM
awbaker

jpie -- la calcina has their own website, too. lacalcina.com

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM

heres some good choices:
Metropole has a 150.00 euro special in November.
Hotel Londra Palace next door also has a special of 248.00 euro/nt
both are situated on the lagoon - full service..
Sounds like your companion has some difficulty walking - Dorsoduro area for the Accademia and La Calcina are great places to stay - quieter - but a bit of a stump across the bridge or you can take the canal gondola across at around .50..
Other options in the San Marco area:
Hotel Ala - have great rates - right around the corner - 110.00-160.00 euro/nt w/breakfast - standard to deluxe rooms.
Also hotel Flora and Novecento - sister properties.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks-this gives me lots of ideas-I will let you know in mid-November where I end up if I make the trip I will probably choose with not too much lead time since I will probably wait til mid-October and get to Paris to see if my mother-in-law is up for the trip-I am hoping so! I haven't been to Venice in a long time and would love to make a nice relaxing trip with her-we get along well on trips-so at least that makes it easier!
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 02:29 PM

..if this will be a last minute reservation, try ratestogo..
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 10:20 PM

Hi jpie-
We stayed at the Hotel Galleria on our honeymoon Sept. 2003. I think the location is great in terms of what you are looking for.
The hotel is literally at the foot of the Accademia bridge and there is vaporetto stop just a 100 metres away from the hotel itself. There were some stairs in the hotel - my memory recalls two flights to the reception area - nothing extreme at all. It was definitely convenient for both arrival and departure as we simply took the vaporetto to/from the train station. We paid 110 Euro with a grand canal view in early September.
As an aside, this was a very, very narrow room with a double bed. Most of the room width was taken up by the bed - as I understand it they do have larger rooms available but they were all booked when we were there. Breakfast is served in the room - simple but adequate. Enjoy Venice!