Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice - 5 hotels in our budget and 2 budget busters

Old May 25th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Help! I've read so many earlier posts and checked availability for many, many Venice hotels.

We've narrowed it down to the following hotels and kindly request your advice and input as to both quality of rooms and location.

Hotel Palazzo Stern
Hotel Bucher
Violino D'oro
Ca' Dogaressa
Antico Doge

All of the above are within our budget.

Two hotels that are more expensive but seem highly recommende by trip advisor are:

Ruzzini Palace
Palazzo Abadessa

Which would you choose from each category and why?
Ciao
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?

Also looking at:
Ca Pisano
Hotel Bisanzio
Hotel Giorgione

All help appreciated, many thanks...
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Can youput up the web links to the hotels? Makes it easier to comment on location etc.
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:40 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Giorgione several times. We like the location in the Cannaregio, about a 15-minute walk to Piazza San Marco. Some people would find that too far away from the "main" part of Venice. The location is a bit less touristy, and we like having drinks in the nearby piazza.

The breakfast area of the hotel includes an interior garden around a lovely fountain; it's very pretty.

The rooms are well-maintained and spacious for European hotel rooms.

I can't compare it to any of the others, as I haven't stayed at any of them.
Old May 27th, 2011, 03:49 AM

We have stayed at 3 different hotels in Venice - two of which are on your list, Bisanzio and Abadessa. (The third was the highly reviewed Locando Orseolo. In many ways it disappointed us.)
Bisanzio was quite nice. Large clean room and bath, quiet, a large balcony with table and chairs overlooking the rooftops of Venice, good breakfast choice, helpful staff. Knowing Venice better now, I think the location wouldn't be my first choice. It's east of San Marco, an easy walk but the other sites are further away.
But if/when I return to Venice, I won't even think of researching other hotels, we'll be staying at Abadessa. The pictures on their website don't lie. Lovely rooms in the Venetian style, quiet and clean, (ours overlooked a small canal), good size bathroom, amazing array for breakfast (as seen on their website) can be taken in the more amazing garden. Charming staff. Complimentary aperitivo in the evening - again in the garden. The location is a block from the Ca d'Oro stop on the Grand Canal. From there you can walk to the sites in any direction - the Ghetto in one direction, the Rialto in another and San Marco in yet another. I simply loved this hotel!!!
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

will try to add links over the weekend.

Toni, palazzo a. Sounds wonderful. What size room did you stay in? We definitely can't do a suite! How were the superior rooms
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM

I can't tell you what the other rooms looked like because we opted for a less expensive choice. For us it was large enough, more than just being able to walk around the bed. If you go to the hotel on line booking, the second one down on the page, "Classic", is the picture of our room (there are two images). It was a half flight of stairs up from the lobby and still no noise issues.

My opinion of the hotel isn't so much about the room - which was perfectly comfortable for our needs - but the magic of the setting. It's a mini museum. Without too much imagination, you can take yourself back to the time when this was a private residence. The public rooms are worth time for a tour. Even arriving for the first time is special moment; you walk down a dark, fairly narrow calle (two-people abreast at most) you come to a gate, take a left and there this is incongruous garden. For a city of mostly stone and water (and that's perfectly wonderful, too) it's a lovely oasis.