Reload this Page >

Venice - Help please

Search

Venice - Help please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 09:23 AM
jane

Venice - Help please

PLEASE does anyone have any info on how to get around near Venice. We leave on a ferry to Greece mid afternoon in May and therefore we will have about five hours to use. We thought we would like to park at the ferry terminal and then make our way into Venice for a couple of hours. HOW though!? Train, boat, taxi - never been to Venice before, only to the ferry terminal. Any guidance gratefully accepted.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Carey

get a Vaparetto ticket for a couple of hours and ride it all around Venice. I did that one time, and it took me about 4 or 5 hours, I even had enough time to go to San Marco, have gelatto, then off to Vecenzia. It's not the perfect senario for seeing Venice, but if you must, you must. <BR>Carey

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:57 AM
jane

Thanks Carey. Can we get the vaporetto from the ferry quayside? Or do we need to get a taxi somewhere first. Cheers

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:50 AM
David

Jane, <BR> <BR>The vaporetto is a good idea, but if you can, don't stay on it the whole time. Give yourself an hour to enjoy a city on foot that was never designed with motorized transport in mind. It's quite a revelation! <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio, <BR> <BR>David

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 02:13 PM
Paulo

Jane, Venice is a small city. The stroll from ANY point in town to the`closest vaporetto landing stage doesn't take 7 minutes. So, finding a vaporetto is the least of your concerns.<BR><BR>If I understood your post correctly, you do have a car. Are you taking it to Greece? If not, do you have a special scheme set up to return it in or will you return it in Piazzale Roma? If you're ferrying your car, do you know if you may check it in before departure? What about luggage? Do you know if the ferry company will check it while you're sightseeing or do you have to handle it? Do you know if you may board the ferry directly or do you have to go through a passenger terminal? I think that there are two passenger terminals in Venice: one in Santa Marta (may be reached by boat, walking or car) and the other one on Fondamenta Zattere (only by boat or walking). Do you know which one your ferry company will be using? In case you're taking your car with you, I don't think you may park you car in Santa Marta. Chances are you may have to park it on the Tronchetto island lot and pick it up before ferry departure.<BR><BR>I've never taken a ferry to Greece out from Venice, so I don't know the answers. Can't you get this info from your ferry company? BTW, which company are you using? Minoan Lines? Blue Star ferries?<BR><BR>Paulo