Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Turkish Airlines? Good/bad??

May 19th, 1999, 08:08 AM
Ben

Thanks.

May 19th, 1999, 11:50 AM
Joanne

We flew Turkish Airlines business class from Athens to Istanbul in 1997 - great service, on-time, luggage arrived, etc.

May 19th, 1999, 05:19 PM
Linda

I flew onTurkish Airlines last Sept. from Ephesus to Istanbul and Istanbul to Cappadocia and back again. All flights were fine. You have to point out your luggage to an employee before you get on the plane. The luggage is loaded on carts and you pass by them as you're boarding. I didn't know to do this on the first flight so they paged me and I had to go and ID my suitcase which was no problem.

May 19th, 1999, 07:35 PM
Denise

Flew Dalaman to Istanbul last September, and all was fine. Lunch comes in a box the lid of which they ask you to use as a postcard. It says, "first look at this picture and what is around you. Feel the Republic. " Turkish Airlines cancels tickets if the consumer has not booked in 20 minutes before the flight. Don't be late!! Denise

May 27th, 1999, 03:25 PM
BILL KANE

Turkish Hava Yollara Airlines is teriffic. We flew from Istanbul to Adana and back last year while on vacation.

On time, pleaseant people, and nice plane.

I would highly recommend it.

BTW, I found most of the foreign arilines to be superior to the u.s. airlines. Last year we flew on Alitalia (lots more room), KLM (lots more room, also). The food was excellent and the planes were nicely furnished.

May 28th, 1999, 04:30 AM
Paul Rabe

Couple things to be aware of--
1) don't ask for a pork chop while on Turkish airlines :^) They specifically say that NO PORK was used in the preparation of their meals.
2) security will be VERY tight at many of the airports in Turkey. When I got off the bus and headed for the wrong door at Ataturk Airport in Instanbul, a guy with a machine gun started motioning to me to go to another door. I didn't understand his Turkish, but his machine gun spoke volumes that I shouldn't be walking towards that door!! We then went through seven(!) points where we had to show our passports.

Jun 21st, 1999, 04:49 PM
Javier Galvan

My wife and I just flew from Istambul to Izmir last week. The flights were just fine. However, we had to buy our tickets within Turkey because Turkish Airlines would not accept credit cards over the phone in the U.S. This made me a little suspicious, so I called a travel agent. They say that several travel agents do not issue Turkish Airlines tickets because they often do not honor them at the airport. Anyways, the tickets purchased within Turkey are about 30% cheaper than inthe US. Service was on time and good.

Jul 21st, 1999, 04:55 AM
Go

Flew Turkish Airlines from Tokyo to Istanbul and can not wait for my visa to expire so that I will have to fly with them AGAIN <---Woo

Aug 6th, 2000, 07:50 PM
Tracy

So glad to read that Turkish Airlines is a comfortable carrier. We will fly Chicago - Istanbul in December, and we are very tall. Shall we splurge for business class...or are the economy seats adequate?

Aug 7th, 2000, 03:32 AM
kenny

I travel on Turkish Airlines regularly. I've always found the in-flight service good and the flights punctual, but the ground staff leave much to be desired.

I've lost my sense of humour on at least two occasions at Ankara when there has been a 45 minute delay at check-in, reason only one representative on duty. When I pointed out that I was likely to miss my flight, she made some extremely unhelpful comments about foreigners not understanding the way things are done in Turkey and even suggested I turn up at least 2 hours before an internal flight!

To make matters worse, my bags did not turn up on the apron for the pre-flight security ID (and I can't emphasise how aware visitors must be of this procedure). I suspect our friendly check-in clerk had deliberately routed them to the wrong flight. Uggghh.

Aug 7th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Gay Maloney

We flew from Marmarus to Istanbul. The taxi ride to the small airport was about 40 min. and the cab was late. We got there and all the reservationists were gone. Someone finally saw us and we waved our tickets (yes get them in advance in US) and STOPPED THE PLANE and rush us to it. They were obviously helpful and very friendly.

Aug 8th, 2000, 12:56 AM
roger

We flew Turkish airlines business class Newyork-Istanbul route,we were dissapointed with the service.The quality of food,drinks were inferior compared to other business class flights of western airlines,the in _flight entertainment was also dissapointing,they showed the same old movies both on the outbound and the inbound flights from the USA .The planes were new and clean but they lacked the business class service the other airlines offer.I do not know their economy class but they do offer reasonable rates therefore if you are not too much interested in luxury I suppose you could fly Turkish airlines but if you are willing to pay the business class price,since all airlines have just about the same business class fares,you might prefer another airlines such as Swissair-Delta-British Airways or Lufthansa.

Oct 16th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Resurrection

I'm resurrecting this thread as we have just returned from Tokyo via Istanbul. Flight from Tokyo was great, best airline food I've ever tasted, better than a lot of retaurant meals I've had. Staff great ( they were trainees with an experienced hostess to monitor them ). Flight from Istanbul to Manchester couldn't have been more different. Food was the WORST I've ever tasted, PIGSWILL !!!. Staff ( Turkish Airlines & Government Officials left a LOT to be desired also.... Amazing difference from the same airline.

Oct 16th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Ferit19

Welcome to our selection of the most charming hotels in the center of Istanbul. Envied locations, calm and cosy atmospheres, elegance, we offer you the best in quality and service.
Ferit 19
http://www.istanbulshotels.com

Mar 21st, 2001, 06:22 AM
Debbie

Is it true that you are not allowed any carryon other than a purse? For a 13 hour flight? Anyone have any comments on their experience in economy section?Thanks-

Mar 21st, 2001, 12:39 PM
cb

Just got back from Turkey and flew Turkish airlines between JFK and Istanbul (9-hr flight). Between my husband and me, we had 3 carry-ons. By the way, due to the recent hijacking, Istanbul airport security is tight. My carry-ons must have been xrayed 5 times, and my passport checked even more. No knife, scissor, or anything that can be used as a weapon should be in your carry-on.

Mar 21st, 2001, 02:19 PM
ann

Flew from Bangkok to Istanbul in Nov.
2000. Great food and service.