Search

Venice Gondolas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Gondolas

Is it worth taking a gondola when in Venice? How much does it cost to go one?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:30 AM

I've seen prices here quoted at between €80 and €100. I suggest you wait until you get to Venice before you decide. Ride a vaporetto for the experience of being on the water, ride a traghetto (gondola that ferries you across the canal for € 0.40) for the experience of being in a gondola, and if your heart is still set on it, go for it. If it's always been your dream, I daresay you'll find the coppers. Enjoy Venice.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sue for your advice.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:46 AM

Hi
I agree with Sue, wait and see. I found it too contrived, after all it's not a current means of transportation, any more than horse-drawn carriages around Central Park in New York City are. It's an experience only for tourists, and while you are trying to feel decadent and romantic in the boat, the gondolier is looking at his watch and wondering about the next fare. I have found that strolling and enjoying Venice, even as a tourist, is equally, if not more atmospheric and romantic.
Still, many people enjoy it, at least once, and I wouldn't leave Venice with a regret.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:49 AM

Only you can decide the WORTH of something. Everyone does not share the same dream. Sue, gave you good advice.
If it is YOUR DREAM, don't go home without doing it. Sunset is a magical time in Venice.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:22 AM

I too felt like it was an expensive cheesy thing to do, but dh and I took a ride on the night before our departure and I must say it does give you quite a different viewpoint of the city, more interesting if you have walked the city beforehand; there is a gondola area where you line up and share the gondolas with other people, it's less expensive than having your own private one.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:59 AM

On our first visit to Venice a couple of years ago I was adamant about not being "ripped off" by some arrogant gondolier. My husband insisted it was something we must do while in Venice and I'm so glad he did. It was a wonderful experience. We did "shop" for a price we felt we could manage and ended up with a delightful young man, who explained things and pointed out points of interest. Most of the ride was not on the Grand Canal, which actually made it more interesting to us. I think we paid about €60 and he was so pleasant and nice my husband gave him a tip.

You must make your own decision on whether or not you wish to spend a rather large amount of money for, in our case, about a 45 minute ride, but we will always remember our gondola ride with great pleasure!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:51 AM

As you walk around Venice, pay attention to the gondoliers. Most act like they are bored to tears, counting the minutes until the ride is done. But a few really "act the part", talking and singing. One we saw even had an accordionist along to accompany his singing. If you're going to spend the money, you might as well pick the best gondolier you can find!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:59 AM

On our last night in Venice we also "caved in" and took a gondola ride during sunset. It ultimately was an unforgettable experience, touring the narrow canals between those old majestic buildings... really worth it. Just find a guy who looks interesting and he will make it worth your money, also try to bargain a bit and you may get a better fare.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I don't quite understand what is cheesy about trying out what was a major mode of water transportation in Venice for a long, long time. The advantage of the gondola is that you can see places that most tourists don't even know exist. The gondola is not well suited for the Grand Canal these days--there is too much motorized traffic to contend with, and you can get a nice, inexpensive ride down the Grand Canal on a vaporetto.

But to see smaller canals in less seen parts of the city, many without sidewalks, nothing can beat a gondola. You want to shop around and talk to some gondoliers--if you take time talk to several, 9 times out of 10 you will find one who is enthusiastic and enjoys giving a real tour.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:28 AM

To get back to the cheesy issue--riding in gondola in Las Vegas is cheesy; riding a gondola in Venice is not.