Venice - early morning flight out

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2024, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight out of Marco Polo airport is at 6:30 am. We will be staying in an airbnb while in Venice, and trying to figure out our best strategy for getting to the airport by 5 a.m. at the very latest. Are we better off staying at a hotel near the airport the night before - or trying to find early morning transportation the morning of the flight? I think if we were staying in a hotel, I might be more trusting of ordering an early morning water taxi to the airport - but from an apartment, if the taxi doesn't show up, we're stuck. Not much enamored of our final night being at a hotel by the airport, but if that's our best option, I guess that's what we should do. Anyone have experience with this - or suggestions?
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 01:45 PM

Where is the airbnb? You can take the vaporetto to Piazzale Roma and then the airport bus, or take Alilaguna if you have a stop close by. The first ATVO bus is at 4,20 and the city airport bus 4.35, I'd go buy tickets the day before, though.

Old Jan 16th, 2024, 01:56 PM

I would spend my last night in Venice. The first run of the Aliliguna blue line arrives at the airport at 5:00am. Depending on the location of your AirB&B you might find this convenient. The timetable: https://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/linea-blu/orario

Taking a water taxi will definitely be more convenient and time efficient, since you won't have to make all the stops. I can't recommend a particular company, but when we've needed a taxi they've been reliable.
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 10:03 AM

HI!!

I might consider an alternative: Stay in a hotel in Mestre the final night. Taxi from there to airport takes 10 minutes, I think (check that). And I've heard there are some excellent restaurants in that suburb. I first got the idea about this from Franco, who was such an informative poster on this forum. He was a big fan of spending a final night in metro, and he would even go to Mestre for dinners. Just an idea

Old Jan 17th, 2024, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
HI!!

I might consider an alternative: Stay in a hotel in Mestre the final night. Taxi from there to airport takes 10 minutes, I think (check that). And I've heard there are some excellent restaurants in that suburb. I first got the idea about this from Franco, who was such an informative poster on this forum. He was a big fan of spending a final night in metro, and he would even go to Mestre for dinners. Just an idea
Great idea - I've looked at hotels in Mestre and decided on Park Hotel Ai Pini - beautiful grounds and a well-reviewed restaurant - and an airport shuttle. It should be perfect for our final night in Italy. I was feeling sad that we might end up in a generic airport hotel - but this one looks like somewhere we will really enjoy. Thank you!
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by scdreamer
Great idea - I've looked at hotels in Mestre and decided on Park Hotel Ai Pini - beautiful grounds and a well-reviewed restaurant - and an airport shuttle. It should be perfect for our final night in Italy. I was feeling sad that we might end up in a generic airport hotel - but this one looks like somewhere we will really enjoy. Thank you!
That's great!@. Franco was so knowledgeable about the Venice area and he always advised doing just that....I hope you have a wonderful trip..I've not been to Venice in a long time and always dreamed of renting an apartment there..will be eager to hear how the trip turns out!!
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I remember one water taxi ride early on a foggy morning on the lagoon. No compass on the boat, the skipper a tad confused, me thinking about the large ships I'd seen the day before . . . we made it, but I learned my lesson: You fly into Venice, and out at another airport!
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 07:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had problems leaving Venice very early one morning due to extra low tides. Very stressful.
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 12:57 AM

WhilePark Hotel Ai Pini says they have a 'shuttle', they also say that this shuttle can be provided for a fee if arrangements are made in advance. This might mean that they call you a cab (should be around $35) instead of having their own vehicle - - you might want to check with them for clarification.
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfourh
WhilePark Hotel Ai Pini says they have a 'shuttle', they also say that this shuttle can be provided for a fee if arrangements are made in advance. This might mean that they call you a cab (should be around $35) instead of having their own vehicle - - you might want to check with them for clarification.
Yes, I am aware of that. We're happy to take a cab - and as we will have to leave so early in the morning, I think a cab will be the most reliable option. I read reviews for this hotel, and a few mentioned that the front desk is open 24 hours, so that is a part of the reason I chose it - if we have any issues early in the morning, there should be a staff person available to help. Well worth the cab fare for peace of mind.
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 02:52 PM

DH and I took the night vaparetto to Piazzale Michelangelo and cabbed to the airport. This was pre-covid but iirc, the airline desk was just opening at 7! Do check current schedules but I don't think you need to move.

Anyone with current info???
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TDudette
DH and I took the night vaparetto to Piazzale Michelangelo and cabbed to the airport. This was pre-covid but iirc, the airline desk was just opening at 7! Do check current schedules but I don't think you need to move.

Anyone with current info???
Our flight leaves at 6:30 am --- let's hope the Lufthansa desk is open!
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 04:56 PM

OK, I found my notes. We took the 4:15 night Vap to Piazzale Roma (not MA) and were at the airport at 4:49! If you can get up early, I still say no need to move. We were on Campo San Stefano...is that near your bnb?
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TDudette
OK, I found my notes. We took the 4:15 night Vap to Piazzale Roma (not MA) and were at the airport at 4:49! If you can get up early, I still say no need to move. We were on Campo San Stefano...is that near your bnb?
Our apartment is just about a kilometer from Campo San Stefano - I think we'd be stressed with the logistics of taking a vaporetto to Piazzale Roma so early in the morning. Thanks for the info, but I think the hotel in Mestre is our best bet for our final night in Venice (out of four nights) - we can stay in Venice until the afternoon, and then have a relaxing dinner at the hotel's restaurant, which looks very good, and not have to stress about more than one transportation option in the early morning.
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 06:23 PM

Do report back about how it works out. Others will want to know about this option too. I hated early rising!
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 07:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I do think moving to Mestre is the best option. I'd arrange for a late check in so you won't lose much useable sightseeing time. Leave your bags at you Venice hotel until after dinner then head to Mestre in the late evening. Being closer, more convenient to the airport will both let you sleep in a little later and not have any worries about transport.
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 01:00 PM

We've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott when we had an early flight. Can walk to the airport in a few minutes.
We stayed in Venice until late and took the ATVO bus which dropped us off right in front of our hotel.
(Hotel also had a shuttle that goes straight to departures)

We like easy on flight days, & this was extremely easy.