Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Early morning flights out of Rome or Venice (and other Italy flight options)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a trip to Italy in late Dec./early Jan (either into Rome and out of Venice, or vice versa). I'd visit Florence in the middle.

One flight option (out of several that I am considering) involves flying out of either Rome or Venice on KLM to Amsterdam at about 6:30 in the morning (and subsequently catching a KLM flight from Amsterdam to Seattle, followed either by a NW/Alaska flight to Vancouver or a coach service to Vancouver).

My concern: getting to the airport at that time of the morning. What is the best method I can use to get to either FCO (Rome) or VCE (Venice) by 4:30 AM, presuming I am staying in central locations in either city? Which city airport is a "safer" option in terms of not being delayed en route, and which flight is more likely to proceed on schedule?

If I don't choose the NW/KLM option, then
the other options I am considering are:

Air Canada flight to London with budget airline connections (BMI, EasyJet, or Ryanair) to Rome/Venice. This would include an overnight stay in London.

United Airlines consolidator flights (through TravelCuts) connecting through ORD (Chicago O'Hare) to London or Amsterdam, with budget airline connections (Virgin Express and BasiqAir from/to Amsterdam). I can also do an open jaw flight into AMS and out of LHR, etc. This would include at least one or two nights in Amsterdam.

All these options are very close in price when all factors are considered - around $1050 Canadian +/- $50. I've had very good luck with the various low-cost carrier flights I've taken so far.

Advantage of NW/KLM - everything is on one ticket.
Advantage of UA to Amsterdam - I haven't had the chance to see Amsterdam
Advantage of AC or UA to London - Familiarity

Another advantage of UA or AC - more Aeroplan miles

Any advice?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:23 PM

I'm considering an itinerary to/from SFO to Rome and have seen that 6:30 am flight that you're referring to. I believe, though I'm not absolutely sure, that there's a later flight (maybel 11 am) from Rome to Amsterdam (KLM) that may connect with your Seattle flight. Look at all the schedule options carefully, not just the first two or three that the websites give you.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Betsy, sadly I don't seem to be able to get around that 6:25 AM flight on KLM if leaving out of Rome, no matter what I try at the NWA.com site. Maybe because there are reduced flights in the winter.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:01 PM

WillTravel, I looked at www.actv.it/ , the Venice vaporetto site, and www.atvo.it/airport/ , the Venice bus site. I'm assuming you would stay in Venice itself and would want to take the vaporetto to Piazza le Roma (the bus station), and then take the bus to Marco Polo airport. (EasyJet operates out of M. Polo, RyanAir out of Treviso airport.)

#1 vaporetto leaves Lido south at 4:16 and arrives at P. le Roma at 5:12 am. The first bus leaves at 5:00, too late for you.

The Red Line route of Alilaguna starts at 4:20 from San Marco and arrives at Marco Polo airport at 5:45 am, again too late for you.

A water taxi would probably be possible, but I'm guessing at E80 (? - search this site for better estimates) and maybe more for such an early hour.

As a fellow west coaster that KLM routing is a toughie. Last fall I flew YVR to LHR via BA, took the National Express to Stansted, stayed overnight nearby and then flew early the next morning via EasyJet to Rome. It worked well, the only change I'd make would be to stay closer to Stansted airport. Coming home, I flew from Venice to Stansted via EasyJet again, and all worked well.

Venice is a small city and a 20 min. bus ride to Marco Polo airport. I don't know about accommodation closer to the airport.

My vote would be either AC or BA to London, and staying overnight at/near Stansted.

Cheers,
Linda

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:06 PM

Another thought: Rome's Fiumicino Airport is a fair distance from the "ancient" part of Rome. If you decide on the KLM routing flying out of Rome, I think you'd want to change hotels for the night prior to leaving, to a hotel closer to the airport. I've seen several postings on that subject, so you might want to try a search.

Linda
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a similarly early flight out of Venice in March and found the water taxi was the only practical option. The airport didn't open until 5:00, though, so I timed the taxi to arrive around then.

By the way, there was fog in the lagoon the morning we left, so the water taxi took us to Piazzale Roma, from which we caught a land taxi. The water taxis do not go to the airport if the fog is too thick. Cost was approximately the same.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 02:10 AM

WT - Getting to Rome FCO at that time is not a problem. There is a night bus service.

It leaves Stazione Tiburtina at 03.45 and picks up at Stazione Termini (Piazza dei Cinquecento) 5-10 mins later.

Termini will probably be more convenient, depending on where you're staying.

Alternatively you could book a limo.
These two usually get good reviews here:
www.limoservicerome.com
www.airportshuttle.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi will,

You haven't told us about the alternative return flights.

Are they also at 6:30 AM?
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Ira, if I take United from LHR or AMS, the departure times are between 10 and 11 in the morning (or with one routing 15:20). If I take Air Canada from LHR, the departure time is 13:30. So those are all very civilized.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Steve_James, the night bus service sounds good, but it does sound a bit intimidating to be waiting outside at Termini before 4 AM in the morning in the winter. Presumably I'd have to get to Termini from where I was staying, as well. But I'm glad to know of the option.

Linda, I would consider BA also, but so far on all the routings I have checked, BA is more expensive than AC. The cheapest price I have seen recently on AC (through Destina.ca) is $868 CAD. With TravelCuts, the United Airlines flight to AMS is $838 CAD, and the UA flight to LHR is $861 CAD. Those aren't student fares, but regular adult consolidator fares.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:41 PM

This is a great question. Our family of 5 will be departing Venice for a 6:50 a.m. flight. The flight is a Sabena flight to Brussels. When should we arrive and is the water taxi the best way?
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
For five people, the water taxi is even more likely to be the best alternative. As I noted earlier, I believe the airport doesn't open until 5:00 A.M., so that would be when I'd plan to arrive.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 03:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Does the $1050 price include your travel between Seattle and Vancouver? If not then it may be cheaper to use one of the NWKLM E-cert coupons. Mine came in the mail this week and I will be using them but there are always people trading/offering them on some of the airline talk sites. The price for zone C (Seattle) to Europe is $499US for Nov.1 through Jan. 31 - no blackout dates but does not include taxes etc of $112+$10+$18US. I'm pretty sure they allow open jaw. On the Fodor's airlines forum you can post asking if anyone has one that they don't intend to use.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 03:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Ctkathy - Are you sure you are flying Sabena? I thought they were bankrupt since 9/11.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 06:39 AM
jay

Will,
we have taken that exact flight. The front desk at our hotel had a cab waiting for us at 4:00am and at that time of day no italian in their right mind is up. the roads were empty and all 6 of us got there for our flight.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 07:01 AM

I was told by American Airlines that Swiss Air is the old Sabena Airlines. Swiss Air flys from Marco Polo Airport to Brussels. They are a code-share partner with AA.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:22 AM

The airline is SN Brussels Airlines, but AA told me it is Sabena.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon, that ~$1050 CAD price did include my estimated budget of $175 CAD for transport to/from Vancouver to the Seattle airport as well as one night airport hotel. I had never heard of those NWKLM certs - thanks for the tip.

Jay, how much did the car to the airport cost? I've read some stories here of people whose prearranged transportation never arrived, which makes me nervous.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:11 AM

We had an early-morning flight out of Venice Marco Polo and had plenty of time when we caught the earliest Alilaguna boat. Bear in mind that this is a very small airport, and the processing is very quick, especially for the common early morning flights when there are no crowds. I think that the airport doesn't even open until 5, so they don't really expect you to be there a full two hours before departure time. If there were a problem with a lot of people missing the early flights because of public transportation, I would think the airlines would have adjusted their departure times.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:16 PM

There's a UA flight departing Venice at 10:50 AM for Frankfurt, with a connection to Portland and then on to Vancouver. Can your consolidator offer that?

The last time I had to leave Venice very early in the morning, my hotel in Dorsoduro arranged for a land taxi to come to the end of the Zattere to pick me up. The driver came to the hotel and carried my bag to the taxi, about a 10 minute walk. The fare was about €40.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Shellio,

What hotel where you staying at? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -