Venice - day trips and lodging

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice - day trips and lodging

Friends are taking a trip this summer and flying in/out of Venice. Would like to have a "home base" somewhere near Venice to be able to travel into Venice but also make day trips to other towns/countries. Any suggestions of places to stay, itineraries? They will be traveling w/ 2 children (4 & 14).
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:09 AM

We took a driving trip (flying in and out of Venice) with two kids (12 and 7, I think) -- stayed 3-4 nights each in Venice, Bolzano, and Innsbruck, with drives through Verona, the Neuschwanstein area, and other castles in the Alps. Its an easy day's drive back to Venice from Innsbruck.

Verona is a logical central location for all this, but we found it kind of noisy and hectic, with lots of traffic.

But the smaller towns were great, with parks and interesting things like castles, alpine zoos, and cable cars. Don't miss the Ice Man museum in Bolzano.

Venice is best after 5 pm, after the day-trippers leave and things cool off. I definitely recommend spending some time in Venice proper.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:11 AM
ira

Hi L,

If they really don't want to stay in Venice, I suggest Padua.

However, one can certainly do daytrips from the city itself.

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:14 AM

We took such a trip (flying in and out of Venice) with two kids (12 and 7, I think) -- stayed 3-4 nights each in Venice, Bolzano, and Innsbruck, with drives through Verona, the Neuschwanstein area, and other castles in the Alps. Its an easy day's drive back to Venice from Innsbruck.

Verona is a logical central location for all this, but we found it kind of noisy and hectic, with lots of traffic. I don't think it would be pleasant to stay in the center of town, anyway.

But the other towns were great, with parks and interesting things like castles, alpine zoos, and cable cars. Don't miss the Ice Man museum in Bolzano.

Venice is best after 5 pm, after the day-trippers leave and things cool off. I definitely recommend spending some time in Venice proper.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Oops, sorry for the double post.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

what about the viability of car rental? Are they better renting a car before heading to Venice, doing some sightseeing at the places mentioned and then turning it in for public transportation in Venice? What would be some neat/interesting things for the 4 & 14 yr old to see in Venice?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:47 AM
ira

Hi L,

>...what about the viability of car rental?

What's the whole itinerary and when?

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

They will be going in mid July - I know, not the best time but they have to work within the constraints of FF miles and summer vacation. Will be going for 9 days total.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Padua was the choice of friends of mine traveling on a tight budget but wanting to see Venice. They took the train each day.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 11:54 AM

There are no cars in Venice -- a rental car will just sit in the parking garage costing you money two ways (rental + garage fees). So either go to Venice first and pick up the car on the way out of town (what we did); or go there last and turn in the car upon your arrival in Venice.

Fun things for kids in Venice: (gosh what a long list this would be... here is a short list.)

Before going, read out-loud ``The Silent Gondolier'' by (the guy who wrote the Princess Bride, Goldman? ). It is laugh-out loud funny. Then visit the sites mentioned in the book -- like the `final exam' canal that all gondolier students must successfully negotiate. Also read ``Vendella in Venice'' a picture book about a girl's adventures, and JoJo the Mellon Donkey, about a donkey who saves Venice from a flood.

Climb up the campainilla tower.

Climb on the lions near St. Marco's and get your picture taken. Watch the moving figures in the clock tower. Walk under the arcades. Enjoy the street merchants' wares.

Climb to the roof of St. Marco's where the golden horses are.

Feed the pigeons in St. Marco's square; watch the boats come and go.

Conduct a multi-day test to discover the best gelato in town.

Ride the vaporettos all day.

Take a coin-toss walk: Toss a coin at every piazza to decide which way to turn. Let the teenager guide you home when you are thoroughly lost.

Take the Doge's dungeon tour (maybe not for the 4 year-old, but its not scary, just a little creepy.)

Go to Murano and enjoy the glass-blowing demonstrations and the amazing glass displays. There are some nice green parks to play in on Murano.

Play soccer in a piazza. Cool off by splashing your face with water from the fountain (there's always a fountain).

Eat pizza and spaghetti at outdoor tables every day.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Wow, Capxx, what a great list. Makes me want to go back and do them all over again!