Venice at night

May 31st, 2006, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Venice at night

Hello I just got back from Venice last week, can someone please tell me where does everyone go at night in Venice, it was 9:00 pm and my husband and I where walking at Plaza San Marcos and it was very dark hardly anyone there and we got a little bit uncomfotable and went back to the hotel, what did we miss at night.
May 31st, 2006, 09:28 PM
jgg

We were in Venice last March and found the same thing. Not that we felt uncomfortable, but that things closed down early. It was particularly difficult after being in Rome, but the hardest part was no late night gelato!!
Jun 1st, 2006, 02:20 AM

> 9:00 pm and my husband and I where walking at Plaza San Marcos and it was very dark hardly anyone there ...

True, Venice may not be like big cities at night and clubbing may not be too obvious but that's actually one of the reasons I like Venice. Piazza San Marco is illuminated till about midnight, isn't it(?) but not too brightly. I wonder, you didn't see muscians playing on the terrace at Café Florian and Quadri? That makes quite an animation.

Midnight gelato ? Not exactly mid night but while I was wandering (I do wander a lot at night in Venice) around san Marco area, I found a couple of gelaterias open on small steets. That was around 11pm in November but I agree many shops close fairly early.
Jun 1st, 2006, 02:49 AM

On that same Globe Trekker show I watched last night about Venice, a comment was made that restaurants all close by 10. It will be different from Rome and Sorrento where there's always something going on late into the night.
Jun 1st, 2006, 03:06 AM

It's true that Venice does not have very much night life, but Piazza San Marco dark at 9:00 p.m.?!?

After seeing an opera at La Fenice, I sat for at least an hour outside at Caffe Florian; the duelling orchestras were doing their thing and there were many people sitting in the cafes or strolling in the piazza.

Returning from a late meal with Venetian friends, we walked through Campo Santa Margherita. The many cafes there were full of people; I understand that it's where the university students like to hang out.
Jun 1st, 2006, 03:55 AM

How many people day trip to Venice? Perhaps that played a part.
Jun 1st, 2006, 04:02 AM

We stayed in Venice overnight and after dinner..not sure exact time but would have been between 9:30 and 10pm...we strolled to Piazza San Marco and there was a string quartet playing from one of the restaurants. We sat and enjoyed the music and ambience for almost an hour and we could still hear the music as we strolled back to our hotel. This was in late September and I can't really recall if it was a weekend or weekday. There were not many people around...but it was not deserted. We never quite make it to midnight...always too tired from all the walking. Venice was known for their nightlife centuries ago...but today most of the young people have moved to the mainland to find better job prospects from what I understand. I kind of enjoyed the tranquillity.
Jun 1st, 2006, 05:46 AM

For chamber music lovers, every night in Venice has a church venue with concerts usually beginning at 8 or 8:30. This is one of the things that makes Venice so special. Also, we like to eat late and never booked dinner earlier than 8:30. The dark alleys take some getting used to. Being from NYC, I was pretty intimidated during my first visit - cardinal rule of the city is never walk down alleys with blind corners. After being reassuerd by low crime numbers, during my next visit I enjoyed the unique feeling of Venice by night. I find that staying in a hotel that has a lounge also gives you an option for nighttime activity. At the Foscari Palace last year, each night an English language movie was shown at 9pm and twice they had a three piece chamber ensemble during a cocktail reception for their guests. I'm sure other hotels probably offer similar entertainment.
Jun 1st, 2006, 06:13 AM

I think it now said that about 60,000 people live in Venice, but most of them live at the periphery and I'm not sure all that number lives there on a daily basis. My experience of Venice was that many of its residents were quite, quite old, and they turn in early.

Of the 12 million people who visit Venice each year, only 3 million overnight in the city.

By the way, apart from purse snatching in San Marco and perhaps around the Rialto bridge, I think few Western cities are a safe as Venice at night. The absence of supercharged street lighting may make those of used to glaring nightlights in cities uncomfortable, but I have yet to hear of a single story of a woman or man being assaulted in Venice.

I think the charm of Venice at night is its quiet, dimly lit alleyways. I remember walking into an internet cafe one evening after 10pm, and it was filled with raucous music and a TV and glowing computer screens, and the effect was depressing.

Jun 1st, 2006, 06:14 AM

> Foscari Palace last year, ... twice they had a three piece chamber ensemble during a cocktail reception for their guests. I'm sure other hotels probably offer similar entertainment.

Margaret, not as far as I can tell, that's only at Foscari Palace (I may be wrong). They were not doing it when I stayed there Nov.2004 but yes, in Nov-Dec 2005. Nice touch isn't it? I really like this hotel and staff there. The costume music however is not cup of my tea so I just had a glass of prosecco and gone out. I'm prejudiced maybe as I had had rather so-so quality of costume concert at San Theodore.
Jun 1st, 2006, 06:22 AM

> I have yet to hear of a single story of a woman or man being assaulted in Venice.

nessundorma, a woman told me, one evening on her way to Santa Lucia station from San Marco area, she got yanked into a dark alley and menaced by two men with a nife so she had to give away her belongings. This is not to unnecesarrily over warn you. I still don't believe her (and she is my neibour) and as I said above, I still wander anywhere in Venice until midnight.
Jun 1st, 2006, 06:35 AM

I'm sorry to hear that! Both sorry to think it might have happened and sorry to hear that somebody might make up such a tale.

Given what the world is, no doubt there is bank robbery, murder and rape in Venice, but I can only point out that probably all of us read a lot of travel writing, and while we hear lots of stories on unpleasant experiences in most major cities, and get warnings about where not to travel at night to be on the safe side, especially for women alone, one simply doesn't hear these stories from Venice. Purse and wallet (or camera) snatching around the big toursist draws? Yes. People report back that happened to them in Venice. But this is the first story I've heard of a dangerous situation.
Jun 1st, 2006, 06:54 AM

that's the beauty of actually staying in venice than just day-tripping there...you have the place to yourself it seems, at night. It is definitely not the party town but I love to walk around in the quietness of it. Never, ever felt unsafe. I just wish I could take night images with my camera.
Jun 1st, 2006, 07:48 AM

Campo Santa Margherita also has a lot going on well after dark and sometimes even quite late.
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:21 AM

> Santa Margherita also has a lot going on well after dark and sometimes even quite late.

Statia, I can imagine with all the student polulation in the area.

Jun 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM

I stayed in Campo Santa Margherita on my last trip in 2003. It was lively until past 11pm. All age groups just hanging around drinking spritz aperol (sp). Tourists and locals mingling.
Some of my most enjoyable evenings in Venice.

I love this forum. I was just transformed back into a time of enchantment.
I didnt even hear the buzzer on the dryer go off.
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM
ira

Hi trib,

>...what did we miss at night?<

A vaporetto ride from the Rialto down the Grand Canal to the Lido and back is one.

Jun 1st, 2006, 08:48 AM

We were in Piazza San Marco until 11:00 or so last October, it was pretty lively, two orchestras etc. Had a drink or two at Cafe Florian. It was a Friday, though.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM

We also found Venice quiet after dinner.
It was surprising after our late night piazza sitting in Rome.

We are usually there in March though, and I just assumed it was the cooler season and early nights.

We are returning this November, and HOPING the weather will be nice enough for us to enjoy the dueling orchestras.
Jun 4th, 2006, 06:08 AM

We loved that it was quiet at night. One night we walked along the Riva all the way to the public gardens and the military complex at the end. We then turned into the Castello neighborhood. It would be dead quiet and then we could hear some music- we would turn the corner and there would be a cafe open with musicians playing, great memory. We wandered through dark alleys until way after 11pm. We walk to our apt in the Dorsoduro area. I think Al Volo pizzeria in San Margherita campo is open til 12mn or so. lynclarke

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO