Venice Apartment

Search

Venice Apartment

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Apartment

Our family of 5 are considering renting an apartment on Giudecca, overlooking the canal. The apartment is part of the Molino Stucky complex and is owned by Apts-in-Venice. Any opinions would be appreciated. We have also been asked to supply full name, address, Date of birth- evidently required by Italian law. I have not come across this before,
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Hi, JoMark. Just want to be sure you're aware that the Giudecca is not connected by a bridge to the main parts of historic Venice.

Not a terrible problem as you can hop a vaporetto to get to the historic center, but something to consider none-the-less.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks RufusTFirefly, yes I did realise and I'm hoping catching a Vaporetto isn't too big a deal or expense as we'll need to do it quite often.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:12 AM

JoMark, if you feel you will be using the vaporetto often, I would suggest getting a pass for the time you are in Venice. It would be less expensive than paying 5 euro for a 90-minute ticket each time you need one. I think we paid 22.50 euro for a 72 hour pass on our last visit.

Also, when renting an apartment in Venice it is common for the agency to want to know your name, DOB, etc. They will also ask you to bring a copy of your passport so they can register you with the city upon arrival. It's common practice for both hotels and apartment rentals in Italy.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:04 AM

Giudecca is not my prefered part of venice - but it is never the less only a vaporetto ride away - but you do need to take a vaporetto to get anywhere. There is also still a lot of work going on at Molino Stuckey (as of last week when I was there).
There's a vaporetto about every 15-20 minutes from the Molino Stuckey end. The vaporetto prices have just gone up (1st Feb) - 12 euro for 24 hours, 25 euro for 72 hours. or you can buy a Venice Card for 7 days use for 47euro.
I've always had to supply those details - and a copy of my passport, when renting in Italy.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Statia and MaryK for your input. Have decided to go ahead with the apartment as it appears to be quite spacious and has lovely views at a price we can almost afford. Our stay in Venice is towards the end of our 5 week trip, we might all need not to be stepping over each other by this stage. Venice is definitely the most expensive city for accomodation that I've come across& booking 2 budget hotel rooms is just as expensive as a less well positioned unit with cooking facilities, so the unit has it for this time. Glad to hear that it's normal practise to request all that info- this was just the first time.