Venice & Rome

Aug 8th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Venice & Rome

Hello all, I will be in Venice and Rome the first week of Sept. I am a Chef and I'm looking for the small chef owned or family owned restaurant that gives ou the real feeling of being in Italy. I feel the best food comes from the heart, real people that care and work hard. The kind of restaurant that you want to hug everyone on the way out because they made your day.
question #2. I'm looking for the hole in the wall kind of places that make the local favorites. This can be like what the Jewish Knish is in New york, the Phily steak sand is to Phily. The special foods that we walk around town with, or say when you get to Italy you have to try this.....Thanks for all the help......Bill
Aug 8th, 2005, 05:57 AM
DRJ

Bill, I travel to Italy twice a year, but can only recommend a restaurant that you desire in Orvieto, Umbria. I Sette Consoli is run by a woman (friend of Lidia Bastianich) who recently had a Michelin star. (I don't know how she lost it.) Orvieto is a one hour train trip from Rome and IMO, worth the trip.

I recommend that you visit eGullet.org, Chowhound.com and Slowtrav.com for lots more opinions.

BTW, if your interest includes pizza, I recommend Pizzaria Remo in Trastevere. A neighborhood institution. Take the Metro to Piramide, walk west on via Marmorata past Volpetti's (the best food store in Rome) and turn left. Ask anyone for directions for the few remaining blocks. Some fun.
Aug 8th, 2005, 06:04 AM
DRJ

I should have mentioned that the train station in Orvieto is across the street from the funicular that takes you to Orvieto Alto. ISC is a walk of a few blocks. I'm certain that in September the outdoor dining under the tents will be useable. Great food and local wine with perfect service. And if you can speak a little Italian the chef-owner will be happy to give you the time.
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi DRJ, Thanks for the info the restaurant sounds great. I am thinking of taking the train from Rome ($66 round trip)in the morning and having lunch there. I think that would make a great day with a bit of site seeing...Take care and I will let you know how it goes...........Bill
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Bill: Where do you get a price of $ 66. for return train to Orvieto? Even in first class on an IC train, Trenitalia gives 18.08 Euro, so return should be 36.16 Euro or $ 45. at the most...

Don't in heaven's name buy from Raileurope or EuropeRail or whatever it's called. And you don't really need to reserve ahead for Rome-Orvieto.

It might be a good idea to buy a ticket (including reserved seat) on the Eurostar Venice-Rome though. You can do so at

www.trenitalia.com

You can try to get one of the promotional fares, but it's probably too late for that, unfortunately.
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:15 AM
DRJ

Bill: I, too, get about 13E for second class and 18E for first. The 30E you just saved can be applied toward a bottle of Sagrantino.

I assume that you know of the magnificence of the duomo in Orvieto. Not to be missed.
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Actually, Pizzeria Remo, which is wonderful, is in Testaccio, not Trastevere, but Dar Poeta is in Trastevere and is very good.
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM
DRJ

Testaccio it is, Barb. Thanks.
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi DRJ, thanks for the info on the trains, I will wait and book it in Rome. I will also visit the Duomo, your right its not to be missed......Bill
Aug 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM

I second I Sette! It was one of the best meals of our trip. Eat in the garden and make a reservation!

Also near the Duomo, if you are standing facing the front of the Duomo the restaurant in the far left corner of the piazza...really good wine selection and food. They have a great terrace and you can order wine by the glass. Enjoy!