Venice & Catania as DayTrips

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and two other adults have a week in Florence (1st wk in Oct) and are thinking about taking advantage of intra-Italy flights to get to Venice. What are your thoughts on the following:

Leave Florence early a.m. to Catania, overnight there
Leave Catania early a.m. to Venice for the day
Depart Venice that night back to Florence

A day trip was suggested after reservations were made (air & apt rental), so we’re trying to figure out what might be best. We’re finding, so far, that the cost of this three leg trip is comparable, $-wise, to taking something like a Viator day trip to Venice, but we’d see so much more – like part of Sicily, instead of the inside of a bus. Is Catania/Mt Etna worth a quick trip like this? Our other thoughts are to A) Rent a car & driver/guide for a day trip b/w Florence & Venice OR B) Take the train with an overnight in-between on the way to Venice and then return, straight shot, the next night back to Florence (if we can effectively manage our way through trenitalia.it!)? Thanks so much!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:08 AM

I'd skip Catania; it's not worth the effort. (What's the appeal of Etna? If you want to see an active volcano, go to Hawaii. If you want to see an exploded volcano, go to Santorini or Crater Lake or Mt. St. Helens.)

An overnight in Venice would be a good trip. If you just go for a day with the other day-trippers, you miss much of the experience. And the train would be better than flying. It takes you city center to city center. No need to get yourself out to the airport 2 hours ahead of time. The experience of coming out of the Venice train station and seeing the Grand Canal spread out before you is unforgettable.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM

That's not really a realistic idea.
Florence to Catania is about the same distance as NYC to Columbus OH. Venice is positioned about like Washington DC from the other two. A quick trip to Venice via Catania is just not realistic. (I'm assuming you are American and these distances are familiar, sorry if not.)

You could drive or train Florence to Venice one day, overnight in Venice, then back to Florence late the next day. The trip is about 3 hours each way.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't see the point in a day trip to Catania. It's too far and Sicily deserves more than a day. Save it for another trip.

You should train to Venice. It's only two hours.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM

Insane. Anyway, a week isn't enough time to see everything in Florence properly. If you do want daytrips to break it up, just stick to the Tuscan countryside & smaller towns there, by bus or train. Btw 1) I would not put Catania in my list of top ten best places in Sicily, 2) Venice is my favourite place (& I live there now) but horrible as a day trip when you'll just see the most crowded spots.
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:26 PM

But why?
Just train to Venice.
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I shall report back to my travel partners, train to Venice!

capxxx: I am American, so that was helpful geographically speaking. Thanx.
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Take train to Venice and if possible spend two nights there, not really worth the hassle of journey just to spend one night.

I would skip Catania, there are many nicer places to visit in Sicily.
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Day trip to Siena. It's only an hour by bus (about 7€ each way).

http://www.sitabus.it/sita-toscana/F...-Siena2010.pdf