One day in Venice in January.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 07:04 PM
marie

One day in Venice in January.

My husband, myself and my 12 year old son are spending 4 nights in Rome and 4 nights in Florence in January. Is it feasible to do a daytrip to Venice at this time? I know this is not enough time at all but we would like to get a "feel" of Venice before we schedule another longer trip in the future. All our hotels and flights are now booked and it is quite expensive to change. Any advise on this is greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 07:16 PM
flygirl

I really don't think you'd want just a day trip for Venice. sure you could do it, but you wouldn't enjoy it, much anyway.<BR><BR>UNLESS you could get the first train out (and I do mean first train - but what time is that, might not be early enough) and are willing to sit 3 hours, rush around in Venice, then take the LAST train out - whatever time that may be. The last train might be earlier an you think, in which case it is a wasted day. <BR><BR>then why bother? 6 hours to spend perhaps 10 in Venice? if you are lucky?<BR><BR>if you could stay overnight just one night, maybe - but even then wouldn't advise. you'd likely have to pay for your Florence room as well as a Venice one. (at least then you wouldn't need to drag all your stuff, just a days change).<BR><BR>plus, you'd just be frustrated when you saw such beauty and knew you had to turn around so fast.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Mick

Sure it's possible - just get an early start and count on a long day. Go for it.<BR><BR>http://www.iht.com/articles/72643.htm

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Sandra

I agree with "flygirl." You simply cannot get a feel for Venice on a whirlwind sneak peek at it. Venice is a place to be savored -- to walk and walk and get lost and see that it is not just a big tourist attraction, but a place where people live and work and shop and cook and go to church, etc. If you just go for a few hours and you go to St. Mark's, you will see the Venice that is in every movie, that is on every post card, and you will have no idea what it is all about. You'd do better to spend the extra time in Florence. Or take the train to Lucca for the afternoon -- be sure to walk on the walls! Have a wonderful time.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 07:56 PM
alan

Go for it. Strongly suggest you spend one of those 'Florence' nights in Venice. Grab the first train if you must and the last train back. Take the fast train, I forget the name, and reserve your seats. Venice is wonderful. Get an all day ticket for the vaporetto and have some fun. You can buy these at the the vaporetto ticket booth outside the train station or in the tourist information booth just as you leave the station to go into Venice. You will regret it very much if you do not go.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:46 PM
marie

If we decide to go and spend a night do we have to reserve a room in advance or can we easily book a hotel there the day of arrival (since it in January)? Thanks again for your advise.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:36 AM
flygirl

I'd be careful - I went in January and had trouble finding a place to stay. Then again, I wasn't looking at the higher end places either, so maybe if you are willing to shell out you could find something - there is always the tourist office who could find you a room.<BR><BR>when in January? <BR><BR>it is said that Venice has no off season. January was pretty darn quiet - thin crowds and all, but, I still called at least 30 places before settling on a room.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Ira

Hi Marie,<BR>You can find the train schedules at www.trenitalia.com.<BR>My wife and I decided to spend the night. <BR>http://www.italyhotelink.com/ or www.venere.it are good places to search for hotels.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:22 PM
marie

We will be in Italy from Jan 1 to Jan 10 and IF we go to Venice, it will be sometime between Jan 6 or 7. Has anybody tried the CAF day tours to Venice from Florence?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:40 AM
rar

I would certainly subtract a night in Firenze and add it to Venezia. You dont want to do a hectic one day trip there, and dont do it with a guide. Venezia is better explored by chance. Go there and get lost, it is half of the fun of visiting the city. Oh and dont miss the Rialto at night, or you'll be missing out

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:55 PM
rose

You won't enjoy it. Think of the time you wasted just getting there. that can take almost half a day from Florence if you get perfect connecting train, bus whatever your mode of transportation. Plan it well next time and plan to spend a least 3 full days there and don't forget to get a vaporato 3 day pass.