Venice & Bellagio

Search

Venice & Bellagio

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice & Bellagio

Hi all! I hope you can help me. My husband and I are planning a week long trip to Venice and Lake Como during the first week of April. Flights and hotels are booked, but I do have a few questions:

1) We arrive at the Venice airport at 6:50 pm on a Sunday. We'll just have carry-ons, so hopefully, it won't take us too long to get out of airport. Ideally, I'd love to be able to have time to check into our Dorsoduro hotel and still have time to have a modest dinner nearby. Realistically, what are our best transporation options? If we take Alilaguna, will we get in too late to have dinner? Is a bus the fastest option? Is a water taxi worth it?

2) That Wednesday, we plan to travel to Lake Como, by train (via Milan and either Como or Varenna) and ferry. Should we buy tickets now, or will it not be a problem to buy them in Venice? Will the fact that this is the week before Easter have any impact on seat availability? Which is easier, the Como or Varenna option?

3) Saturday, we plan to travel to Milan for a day before our flight back to the States early Easter Sunday. What would you recommend for transportation to the airport from Milan's city center?

I hope this is not too much to ask! Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 04:56 PM

I would bus to Piazzzle Roma and then vaporetto to your stop.
Cannot tell you where to eat since you are keeping the hotel a secret.
Buy the tickets in Venice. Cannot advise about which Como option since you again are not telling us which hotel or even city. Are you staying in Varenna?

Which airport in Milan?
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM

I'm guessing since you said Venice and Bellagio in the title of your post, that's where you are staying.

I did this trip in reverse a few years ago. Flew into Milan, stayed overnight, and then went to Bellagio for a few days, then on to Venice.

Just buy your train tickets in Venice. Take a train to Varenna (the station is Varenna-Esino if memory serves correctly)then take a ferry to Bellagio. You'll switch trains in Milan. The ferry from Varenna to Bellagio is maybe 10 minutes.

If you are flying out of Malpensa, you can take the Malpensa Express from Cadorna station. It takes maybe 40 minutes.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:22 PM

If you are interested, here is a link to my trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ay-07-2008.cfm
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Your trip sounds great!! Bellagio is heaven!!
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer the Milan-Varenna-Bellagio routing because of the views of the lake as it comes into view as you walk from the station.

There are trains from both Milano Centrale and Cadorna Nord to Malpensa. Search Milan to Malpensa Aeroporto, and results will include all options.

http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM

The water taxi is quite expensive, about 110 Euros. When we arrived in Venice, it was 5:30 PM but impulsively decided to take the water taxi. We were exhausted and, as first-timers in Venice, we wanted to get to the hotel as soon as possible to settle in, and then find a pleasant place for dinner. We felt it was worth the splurge. The entrance onto the Grand Canal was fantastic, and then winding through the small canals to our hotel door was really special. We didn't have to worry about trying to find the hotel in the dark. Now that we are familiar with Venice, I'm not so sure we would splurge next time. But if you are concerned about arriving late, the water taxi will certainly get you to your hotel quickly.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your kind responses!
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 06:31 AM

Well, I am not sure, if the taxi is worth the price of 100 and more bucks - except you are exhausted or do not want to miss a special experience like this. I myself (living in town) always take the bus from the airport as the most reasonable choice. Ticket is 5 Euro one way and a ride takes 20-30 minutes to Piazzale Roma (from where a Vaporetto should take you close to your hotel). You can choose between the Airport shuttle and the public bus Line no.5 (about 10 min difference, same price without travel card). Have a nice trip!!
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 06:37 AM

In answer to your Easter question:

YES.

Get tickets as fast as you can. If you cannot buy them from abroad, buy them the minute you encounter a train station Italy.

If you have any wish list for restaurants, make reservations in advance. Like now.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Think I will try to buy those train tickets early.