Notices

Venice airport transportation Question

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Susan

Venice airport transportation Question

We are a family of four and we will be in Venice this February. Our flight home leaves Venice at about 10:00 am on a Friday morning (the day before carnival begins!). What is the best way for us to get to the airport? Should we check out of our hotel (Hotel Ala) a night early and stay near the airport? (Where would we stay?) I would prefer to stay in Venice but I am concerned about making the flight home. Suggestions and advice please!

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:50 AM
x

There's no need to stay near the airport the night before, just get up early. I was traveling on a budget and took a bus to the airport, it was about a 5 min walk from the train station and very cheap & quick. I also believe the waterbus goes there as well. If $$ is not a concern take a water taxi. Your hotel will be able to help you figure the logistics of each option. Enjoy your last night in Venice!!! 10am is not an early flight.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 04:20 PM
Rex

Worth your while to check out Ailaguna - - intermediate in price and convenience between the vaporetto ("waterbus") option and taking a water taxi.

Plenty of information here on this forum. Just search "alilaguna".

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:47 PM
mjs

I believe the Ala has it's own dock. Cost of a water taxi from the Metropole hotel in November was E90 and took about a half hour. This for 4 people including baggage. Transfer to a 3 minute shuttle bus to the new terminal. If you are flying to the US from Venice you probably will need to get to the airport by about 0800. Leave by water taxi at 0715 to the airport or take the water bus/bus or Ailaguna and leave earlier, say about 0630? and you may save around E55?

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:30 AM
Susan

Thank you for the information, Ailaguna sounds like the answer for us. Do I have to book this in advance? And, by advance, is it okay to make arrangements a day or two in advance, or should I (can I) do it now? Thanks again for the help. Susan

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:40 AM
Dale

No need to do anything in advance. Aliliguna has a schedule card that you can get at their desk at Marco Polo. Their boats seat 50 or so, so no problem.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:58 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Susan
The Ailaguna leaves San Marco and takes about an hour to get to Venice Airport.
Also the ALA is close to the vaporetto
stop of S. Giglio, did have its own
dock and about 3 to 4 blocks west of the
San Marco dock,,,The water taxi tho
expensive, takes much less time and
when splitting it four ways, is not to
bad a deal...Richard of LaGrange Park, IL

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:28 AM
gac

Susan: Alilaguna is a good way to reach Marco Polo Airport, especially since your flight leaves around 10:00 a.m. Fare is 10 Euros per person, one way. Since you're traveling in low season, you should not need to reserve. Nevertheless, you CAN reserve your seats the day before,and indeed the operator encourages reservations for early morning boats, which fill up quickly, since there are SO many a.m. flights bound for European Capitals (not to mention Delta's nonstop to JFK).