Venice Airport - how do we get to City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be first time visitors to Venice this August flying from Paris to Marco Polo Airport with Easyjet and wondered how to get to the City? Is there a train/bus?
Where should we stay, near the train station or somewhere closer to St Mark's Square?
What are the NOT TO MISS sights?
Thanks for you help!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:05 AM

Lazy people are SO boring.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:33 AM

Hi Deb,

How you get into Venice depends on where you're staying. Usually the easiest and least expensive is to take the Alilaguna boat from the airport. There are several places it stops in Venice.

There is a bus but it takes you to the Venice bus terminal and then you usually need to get a vaporetto to the stop closest to your hotel.

The most expensive is to take a water taxi directly to your hotel.

There are many posts here on the Alilaguna and the major sights of Venice. Put the words Venice and Alilaguna into the search box. You'll also come up with people's suggestions on their favorite sights to see. Also lots of posts on Venice locations and hotels.

This question has been asked so many, many times and is recorded here on this board, that a lot of people may not respond since they have responded multiple times before. I suggest you take a look at the posts here and at a guide book and then come back with more specific questions.

Venice is a wonderful, magical city and you'll love it.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 04:02 AM

If you read the guide books some will tell you the water bus stops from the airport to specfic loactions in Venice.
From there you take other water buses to get closer or you walk. The land bus takes to you to a piazza at the far end of Venice. There are many different transports modes from there, meaning water taxis, water buses, with multiple routes. Water taxi from airport will run $50 to $100. You can also buy waterbus route maps of Venice at the big chain bookstores. One word of caution. If you depart with a lot of luggage, or heavy luggage, becaus eyou buy a lot of stuff like I do; pick a hotel where you keep bridge crossing to a minimum. With all of my preplanning, never thought about that. I arrived on the bus at Piazza Roma, 7 bridges to the apartment I rented in Cannareggio, nearly all the bridges have steps, what a challenge. One piece of luggage was discarded upon my return. Fotuneatly I found a shorter route for my depart , only 3 bridges and a direct water bus ride from my stop to Marco Polo. The water bus is called vaperetto. Choose your hotel carefully by getting familiar with a map & layout of the city. Determine where you will spend most of your time. You'll do a lot of walking.
In the evenings when your "pooped out" and it's dinner time you'll want a good pick of restuarants close by. If you want to post your Email address I/ll send you plents of URLs with Venice info and more tips from my experiences.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi Deb,

This thread will help you.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne, Lorenzi and Ira
Many many thanks for your assistance! I have spent ages looking on Fodors and your info was just what I wanted.
Deb
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 01:36 PM

Hello all, as our hotel is near the Venice train station we intend to take the land bus to Piazzale Roma. Could anyone comment on the ease of locating the ACTV bus stop at the airport, and can you buy tickets on the bus? Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:58 PM

If it's your first time to Venice, I'd suggest the water taxi (different from water bus). You'll have your own boat - they are very cool - and you'll fly over to the city in no time. It will cost about 85E but worth it. (Just follow the sign to the water taxi window in the airport). We stayed at the Giorgionne Hotel, about a 10-15 minute walk to St. Mark's. Great hotel and nice to be a bit away from all the tourists and we never walked the same way twice, so lots of exploring to do! Fun things - a gondola ride, St. Marks at night - listening to the orchestras and having an after dinner gelato. Don't plan too much in Venice. The most fun is just wandering and exploring. Have fun!