Venice Accommodations - What Area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Venice next Spring and am looking for recommendations as to what area to stay in. We like to be centrally located ... in Rome we stayed at Piazza Navona, and in Florence near the Duomo. We like mid-range B&B's. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:20 AM

I have stayed in Cannareggio, San Polo, and Dursoduro.
I prefer Dursoduro. Campo Santa Marguarita specifically.
There are great cafes,gelaterias,markets,and shops
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM

I'd endorse Campo Santa Marguarita - we stayed near there (Campo San Barnaba, just over the Ponte de Pugni). It's a very "alive" place, but not crowded. Lots of students, good bars.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM
ira

Hi Bab,

Venice is not a large town. Pick a hotel rather than an area.

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:54 PM

I agree. Location is more important in Rome than in Venice. Haven't seen many parts of Venice that I would not want to stay in.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM

I've stayed at the Bed and Breakfast Happy Venice, and it's great: http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldet...e/Venice/17540. Don't let the fact that it's on HostelWorld throw you for a loop; it's actually an apartment, so there's a chance you wouldn't have anyone else staying with you. There are also reviews on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...ce_Veneto.html.

It was centrally located, and such a beautiful place overlooking one of the canal bridges. The little kitchen was stocked with yogurt, cereal, and other small provisionals, which we were free to help ourselves to. Andrea, the caretaker, was there every morning ironing the sheets and making sure the place was spotless. Her English wasn't the best, but that only added to the charm. The only drawback is that you have to share a bathroom if there are other guests. That happened to us, but it was no problem at all.

The place was clean, comfortable, and well-priced: €151.50 for two nights/two people. Just another option if you're looking for something that's not a traditional hotel
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions!
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Venice is the only place I recommend staying away from the most central spots, specifically Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. These areas can get very crowded with tourists. Otherwise, Venice is not very big and very walkable--of necessity! So almost any neighborhood is good; my only exception is the island of Giudecca.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM

I've stayed in three different areas, and the only one I woudn't stay in again was close to San Marco. Nothing wrong with it except more crowded as Mimar said.

In Cannaregio I love this place:
www.casamartini.it

Owned for generations by the Martini family - the youngish owners will send you to little out of the way restaurants if you like that kind of thing. It is charming and you really feel as if you are in the local's Venice. It may not be as central as you would like, but I like this area. Near the Jewish ghetto and a convenient vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal.

Also loved the Dorsoduro neighborhood; near the Campo Santa Margherita (as mentioned above) is Ca'Turelli, a simple B&B in an excellent location if you are looking for quiet and access to the Dorsoduro area. We booked it through:
www.veniceby.com
Look under B&Bs - there are many lodging choices on this site; most could be booked directly (could be cheaper) but we never found a direct site for Ca'Turelli.