Venice Accommodations

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Accommodations

I could use some advice on where to stay in Venice. My family of four (kids age 11 & 8) will be staying for only 2 nights at the end of March before heading to Rome for a week. We will have slightly less than 48 hours which includes our jet-lagged arrival.

Given that scenario, I would prefer to be close to the typical sites, be fairly close to a vaporetto stop to minimize luggage hauling, and like the fact that San Polo, for instance, is closer to the bus/train than say San Marco.

Budget is somewhat flexible, but I'd prefer <= 150 Euros/night for the quad accommodations.

From some research on here and other places, I've found 3 options that I'd like to get your opinion on. Other suggestions welcome:

1) Corte 1321 (B&B, 150 Euros/nt): http://www.corte1321.com/en/index.htm

2) Ca Paradiso (2BR, 130 Euros/nt): http://www.venicehr.com/caparadiso.a...azione=english (seems a little harder to get to)

3) Al Campaniel (2BR, 92 Euros/nt): http://www.alcampaniel.com/ (spartan, further from Rialto & San Marco, not sure I'll get spousal approval on this one . . .).

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:15 PM

I’ve not stayed at Al Campaniel, but I know the location very well – walked past there dozens of times. It is about half way between Rialto and San Marco, probably 20 or 25 minutes walk from San Marco, 10 or 15 to Rialto. You can get there easily from the San Toma vaporetto stop, with no bridges to cross, it’s about 50 yards, and easy to find. Being easy to find is no small advantage in Venice – it can save you an hour of wandering around.
Campo Margherita is five minutes away, and there are restaurants, a pizza place and a gelatti shop there, along with a Punto supermarket.
The Campo San Toma is pretty quiet, but the kids can kick a soccer ball around it. The chocolate shop just across the way is tempting in the extreme.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Look at Corte Grimani for apts.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 07:29 AM

I have stayed at Corte 1321 and highly recommend. The location is great and you will not need to cross any bridges when walking to/from the nearest vaporreto stop with luggage. A good, simple breakfast is served in a lovely and peaceful small courtyard. The hosts are very friendly, warm and helpful. My room (Superior) had lots of space, the bathroom was huge, and the decor was very well done.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Although not a rec for a place to stay, you should take a day or two off of Rome and add it to Venice. Venice is magical a 2 jet-lagged days will not do it justice.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:01 AM

I agree - more time in Venice and less in Rome. It would be much more preferable for your children too as Rome is hectic and it's difficult to escape the crowds whereas Venice is so unique and there are delightful boat trips to entrance your children & wandering away from San Marco and Rialto easily gets away from crowds of tourists.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

bob: Thanks for the suggestion. They do look nice. I'll look into them a little more, but they are a little pricier (210 w/o view).

zoecat: thanks. Corte 1321 is probably the leading candidate right now.

MichelleY: so many places and so little time! We'll have to make another trip if we like what we see. Only time for a taste of Venice on this trip. The primary purpose is Rome. Thanks!

Keep the comments coming!
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Rome is full of fabulous things to see and experience, even more so for kids. I also think that 2 nights in Venice is enough - then you can decide if it deserves more time in the future. I have never felt the pull personally but have been to Rome a dozen times and never tire of it.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 09:59 AM

BTW, Indy was my home back when--left in 1974.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Venice is cold the end of March. Make sure you layer and have light gloves and a hat. We are from northern Canada and nearly froze on the vaporetta trip from Murano back to Venice. The wind was nasty and the air was very damp. I would personally stay in Rome. Venice deserves a visit, but maybe with older children or by yourselves. Just my opinion though...
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Didn't mean to turn this into a Venice vs. Rome discussion. Any more thoughts on where to stay?
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 02:15 PM

pensione academia...5 minutes from the vaperatto..around the corner from the academia museum......just left there 3 days ago.......it is a restored villa...bkfast included.......LOVED IT.....
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 02:22 PM

I agree- Pensione Academia would be another good choice.

You could check with Anna, the owner of these apartments, and see if she has your 2 nights available. I have stayed in the smaller apartment (Palazzo Foscarini) several times and love it. You would need one of the larger apartments. They are well located (Dorsoduro), quite large and recently renovated.

http://www.palazzofoscarini.com/
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM

<Didn't mean to turn this into a Venice vs. Rome discussion.>

People on this forum just cannot resist providing unasked-for advice...
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

What are the pros and cons of staying in Dorsoduro vs. San Polo? It seems that much further away from the airport/train station but perhaps that's not a big deal . . .
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

ttt -- anyone else? Thanks!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 02:53 AM

Rather than getting the Vap or Bus from Marco Polo airport into Venice I would strongly recommend you stretch to a water-taxi (approx €80 for the family).
It's quick and efficient which is probably just what you want at the end of a long journey but more to the point it'll make you feel like a film star as you skip across the lagoon towards the city. It'll blow those cobwebs away and give you all a badly needed fillip - enough to enable you to make something worthwhile of your first, jet-lagged day.

Have a great trip!

Dr. D
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:05 AM

I just spent a week in the Corte 1321 garden flat which does sleep four (two on a sofa bed.) The location is convenient, close to the San Silvestro vaporetto stop with no steps or bridges on the way. The large space of Campo San Polo is not far away for the children to run around, and there's a Coop supermercato just around the corner for essential supplies. Breakfast is unusually good for Italy and the staff are very friendly. Also it is very quiet at night - highly recommended!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:17 AM

Just an observation: Unasked-for advice can be very useful.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM

<<What are the pros and cons of staying in Dorsoduro vs. San Polo? It seems that much further away from the airport/train station but perhaps that's not a big deal . . .>>

You will need to take the Vaporetto to the train station to either area, taking roughly the same amount of time. The areas are not far apart. I see no pros or cons for one area over the other.

From the airport, you have several options for arrival- private water taxi, bus/vaporetto combo, or public boat/vaporetto combo. Again, no pros or cons with either area.

Venice is not a large city, so either area will be fine for your visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -