Venice accommodations

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 04:56 AM
Karen Walker

Venice accommodations

I'll be going to Venice in the end of October and these two hotels were suggested to me; Hotel Europa&Regina and the Sofitel Venezia. Looking for any feedback on these accommodations and any other info. which might be helpful. Thanks!!

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 10:48 AM
Evan Nadler

I'm not very familiar with either of those hotels but I did stay at the Hotel Bisanzio. This can be reserved through the Best Western reservation service. It's a small hotel about 5 minutes walk from St. Marks on a very quiet alley. All the rooms are different -- we had a very nice room with a small terrace overlooking the roofs of Venice. The bathroom was marble and nice-sized, with a big tub/shower (and curtain). They also served the best coffee on our two week trip. The cost of the room in late May of '96 was 280,000L (about $185 then, $160 now). It's common rooms aren't as well appointed as some of the 'nicer' hotels, but we thought it was well worth the money. <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 01:18 PM
Richard Vicek

Good afternoon, Karen <BR>The Hotel EUROPE E REGINA is located on the Grand Canal about one block west of the Pza S. Marco , it is a five star hotel with over 100 rooms, and natuarallysome face the Grand Canal, also has terrace canalside and ristorante. <BR>The Hotel SOFITEL VENEZIA is located on a smaller canal but about 200 yards from the Ferrovie Statizone S. Lucia and about 100 years from the Pza S. Roma. <BR>also has ristorante. <BR>On location alone the Europa would be the best choice as from the Sofitel it would take at least 15 minutes to walk to the Ponte Rialto and another 10 minutes to the Pza S. Marco..... <BR>If you need any rist. recommendations, drop me an e mail. Richard of Hickory Hills. IL.... <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 09:16 PM
kevin

We also stayed at the Bisanzio. Nice hotel - clean, comfortable, good value. Staff is very pleasant and speaks English well. Have fun!

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 04:27 AM
joelle

We stayed last March at the Europa & Regina and definitely enjoyed the location. Rooms are very nice and the bar & restaurant giving on the Grand Canal offers a wonderful view. <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 10:13 AM
Carol

Hi Karen-- <BR>In my opinion there's no contest! Europa $ Regina is a really elegant hotel right on the Grand Canal--you can't get better than that for a Venice location I can't imagine why you'd rather be near the railroad station than the Grand Canal! Venice is marvelous, don't miss visiting the Accademia, it's a fantastic museum. And you must take a gondola ride at night--no matter how touristy it seems--it's a total unique, totally Venetian experience. And believe it or not, Venice is a walkers' city--you should start off with a goal in mind and then don't stick to your plan--turn down little alleyways that seem interesting, there's probably a big piazza (aka campo)at the end! Don't worry about getting lost. You'll find many signs pointing in the direction of the RR station (Ferrovia) or St. Marco! Have a great time.

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 03:12 PM
steve

<BR>The Euoropa &Regina is a top hotel and would be the better of the two if price were no object. Other top tier hotels include the Danielli, Gritti Palace, Bauer and Cippriani. However, I too have stayed at The Bisanzio and for a moderately priced hotel I think it's great: pleasant rooms, nice breakfast area and a most helpful staff.

Old Sep 4th, 1998, 07:02 PM
l.martin

Our vote is the Europa-Regina where we stayed 2 years ago. My parents had stayed there and that was the only suggestion I went on and I was SO glad we did: we had arrived at night and as most tourists, we did not know exactly where our hotel was so we just boarded the water taxi. I believe we looked up after the 1st or 2nd stop and were pleasantly surprised to see our hotel right in front of us so we just got off at the next stop (by Harry's Bar) and walked straight there! We heard horror stories of other tourists wandering the streets trying to find their hotels at night--toting luggage,etc--not for me!

Old Sep 6th, 1998, 12:24 PM
Don McIntyre

Does anyone here have a phone/fax number or Net site for the Europa & Regina. <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 11:15 AM
geno

I'm with the others who applauded the Hotel Europa & Regina. Stayed there at the end of June for our honeymoon and found it spectacular. Location, service...everything top notch. FYI, it's part of the ITT Sheraton Luxury Collection, so it can be accessed via the Sheraton web site. Also, the chain participates in frequent flyer discount programs, but you must book in advance. <BR>Have a good trip. <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 12:49 PM
Kam

One more vote for the Europa----if bathrooms matter, it had one of the largest I've ever had in many trips to Europe!! Perhaps you might want to forgo the room on the Grand Canal--lots of noise and vaporetto fumes, but also lots of excitement and fun to watch--you decide. Fax 011-39-41-5231533, but I thought it was a Ciga Hotel--has it been bought out?? <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 06:05 AM
Steve the Guide

Hotel Europa&Regina web site: http://www.vol.it/veneto/hotel/europa/index.htm <BR>Phone: +39 041 520 0477 fax +39 041 5231 533. <BR>Some good informations also in: <BR>http://usa.dolcevita.com/travel/itin...ia/vegusto.htm <BR> <BR>