Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2011, 11:30 PM
RSF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice

Hi,

We are planning a week long trip to Italy. Apart from Rome and a few other places, we were thinking of Venice. One of my friends who was in Europe warned us that Venice has lost of its shine because of the effluent odor from the canals. The trip is planned for August. If this is true and should we still hazard Venice? Thanks
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 02:14 AM
J62

Venice has not lost it's shine. It's one of the truly unique places in all the world.

In my experience there is no offensive effluent odor from the canals.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 02:37 AM

I have sometimes run into naysayers when I am planning a trip. I ignore them, and do what I want. Venice is a great place to visit, and I wouldn't skip it.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 02:54 AM

RSF I was there in August a bouple of years ago. No odour just heaps of tourists but that doesn't matter the place is wonderful. Don't miss it.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 03:11 AM

I've now been to Venice 5 times for a total of 6 weeks and I've maybe noticed a slight odour in a particular spot about 3 times. I've not been in August but I have been in June and September and it's usually been hot, so I don't imagine August would be much different.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 03:39 AM

www.venice-tourism.com is a magical water city

any time of year a do not miss for me.

However have been several times in August it is

hot and chock a block usually stay out in the cool lagoon

during the day off the beaten tourist path.

I have noted the pungent odor of sewage from a few

small canals in some remoter areas would not say the smell is

pervasive though perhaps rarely when extremely hot it reeks.

When I go in August always try for a nice 5* with AC(a must)

Usually for me Hilton Stucky Molino bidding Priceline $120/nt

www.betterbidding.com

Have fun,
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 04:17 AM
ira

Hi R,

Go.

Old Feb 18th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Even if the canals stink (it doesn't), I would NOT miss Venice. Truly a unique and magical city.

Go.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 05:45 AM

Nonsense. I'd be a lot more worried about the heat and tourist than about the smell.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Agree. Venice should not be missed. HOWEVER, you say you are planning a "week-long" trip?

If you are planning only one week, you will not be able to get in "Rome and a few other places" and Venice.

I would pick no more than two places or you will be spending the bulk of your time packing/unpacking/traveling.

3 days Venice and 4 Rome. Unless you are able to tack on the second weekend and have nine days. (And one of those will be travel to Europe.) Then 3 Venice, 5 Rome.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 07:04 AM

Sarge, I was thinking the same thing.

Are you including your travel days when you say "week long trip"? Where are you traveling from? If you're coming from North America a 7 day trip is more like 5 days, assuming you land early and deal well with jet lag.

In any event, to answer your original question, I've met people who adore Venice and those who hated it. DH and I decided to find out on our own.

I learned that many who disliked Venice either A) stayed on the mainland to save $$$ on a hotel or B) were there with a cruise. Those who love Venice always point out that its most beautiful at night when the crowds are gone.

That's not to say that you can't enjoy Venice if you stay on the mainland or if you cruise there. That's just a common factor among those that I've spoken to that have disliked Venice.

If you have the time, I would advise you not to fear a foul smell here or there. Go to Venice and decide for yourself.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Ira: <i>Go.</i>

You rang?

FWIW, I think Sarge has it about right. And abenedek's observations about the experience of staying there vs. visiting there are spot-on.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 08:46 AM
J62

k9 has a good point as well. I found the hordes of cruise ship passengers & bus day trip passengers to be far more annoying than anything else, including the summer heat.

What's the expression? Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

The good thing about day trippers is that they don't arrive till 10 am or so, and are mostly gone by 5pm. If you are one of the day trippers you won't see anything but crowds. If you stay a few days you'll get to see a whole different Venice.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 09:45 AM

The most important thing to remember about Venice is to get off the beaten path and wander up and down the little alley ways away from the hordes of tourists. Sure you want to see the tourist spots and you should, but to equal it all out you MUST get away from them in order to experience the true Venice. We stayed one week and it was absolutely one of my favorite places on our 13 week trip. Can't wait to return.

On another note. If we had listened to everyone prior to going on our trip about things 'they had heard' about a certain city or place we probably would not have gone. I can't tell you how many times we have had people ask us how we were treated over in Europe since we are Americans. I am so tired of this one. We were treated great. If you are polite and nice, you will be treated in kind.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM

That recurring tale about "stinking Venice" is always nonsensical, but has never been as nonsensical as in the version that your friend told you, making the supposed smell seem like a novelty. The contrary is true: once upon a time, the canals smelt on hot summer days, yes. Thanks to the efforts of the city of Venice to keep the canals as clean as possible and to collect drainage waters, the canals didn't smell anymore in the last 20 or so years.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM

That recurring tale about "stinking Venice" is always nonsensical, but has never been as nonsensical as in the version that your friend told you, making the supposed smell seem like a novelty. The contrary is true: once upon a time, the canals smelt on hot summer days, yes. Thanks to the efforts of the city of Venice to keep the canals as clean as possible and to collect drainage waters, the canals didn't smell anymore in the last 20 or so years.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM

Absolute nonsense! I have been to Venice last August. It was packed and hot, but no odor at all! Loved it as always!
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM

Oh, and I would suggest to stay in the Dorsoduro area. Beautiful and relatively quiet.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:31 AM

I met a woman with her granddaughter in the Venice airport. The woman was returning after 50 years. She said Venice is so much better now. The odors were a factor in the past but no longer as the Venetians have learned the importance of keeping the canals dredged.

My hub and I have spent weeks in total and pined to get to know Venice better. Don't know if you've been to Rome or not but one week isn't a long time. Does this include your travel days?
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM
RSF
Original Poster

Hey thanks a lot, guys. This really helps. I will definitely include Venice in my itinerary. The week in Italy excludes the travel days. We kinda kept them apart to give us a breather between traveling different time-zones

We will be spending 3 days in Rome, a day in Assisi, a day in Sienna and rest in Venice (approx. a day and a half)

Ciao!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -