Reload this Page >

VENICE - 2 days to see it all!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 12:47 PM
Fiona Alleyne

I will have just over 2 days in Venice in mid July. What do you suggest that I do & see so that I leave this wonderful city knowing what it is about. I really appreciate any information that you can give me. Thanks - Fiona

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 02:58 PM
Barbara

Fiona, you will not "see it all" in two days, however, to get an overview of Venice ride the vaporetto that circles the Grand Canal, climb to the top of the Campanile, if the line is not too long; have coffee at Florian, walk through the Rialto Market, get a good walking map and walk the neighborhoods and, most importantly, do a little reading before you go. It will be packed with tourists in July, so everything will take longer to do. But, just standing on the Accademia Bridge or the Rialto Bridge and gazing out at the view is enough to make you fall in love with Venice and call you back for another visit.

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 07:10 PM
Rod Hoots

Agree with Barbara's comments. In addition, want to recommend getting an air conditioned hotel near San Marco square - the heat and humidity will be brutal and you will want to take a break now and then. If you arrive by car or train, take vaporetto #1 from the train station stop. It goes all the way through the Grand Canal before arriving at San Marco. Get all the information you can from the Fodor's Trip Planner - it's very good. If you're there on Sunday, go to mass at San Marco Basilica - the choir is great. Take in Florian's Cafe at sunset or late at night - or both. Have a martini in the lobby of the Danieli Hotel - superb people watching. Check out ricksteves.com "Venetian Pub Crawl Dinner." There are some good walking tours on www.portve.interb. Take the American Express tour of Frari (?) church followed by a gondola ride - it's a real bargain. Take some time to wander the back streets - find an outdoor cafe in the afternoon and just watch the people. Bon Voyage.

Old Apr 3rd, 1998, 10:05 AM
Joe Lomax

If you want a different way to explore Venice rather than just the Grand Canal and S. Marco (though this is a valid method), stop by my page: Orienteering Venetian Style on the In Italy pages:
http://www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/ovensty.htm. If you can get the book, "Venice for Pleasure" by H.G. Links you will not regret it. I have to go to a meeting, so if you want more suggestions, please e-mail me.

Old Apr 13th, 1998, 11:30 AM
becky

You've gotten very good advice; I have been to Venice numerous times and one never sees it all. However if you follow your forum guides you will have a good overview. The last time I was there in July we stayed in the Hotel Panada...nothing special really BUT it is very close to San Marco and it IS air conditioned...and not terribly expensive. You will be grateful for the a c in July. Venice is wonderful!