Reload this Page >

help...opinions about the airport in Milan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 05:30 PM
zelda

I am flying out of the Milan airport. how expensive is it to take a taxi from downtown? Is there any other way to get there? Is this a larger airport and how well is it designed?

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 07:20 PM
Al

Malpensa airport in Milan is about an hour from
the center of the city, and taxis are probably
expensive. There is a bus service which conects
Stazione Centrale- the main train station - with the airport, with departures about every 30 min. The
cost is about 13000 Lira, or about $8.
The current airport is fine, but is being replaced
by a new one, which should be open soon; I'd heard that, when the new terminal opens, there'll be a metro station with a direct connection to central Milan.

Old Apr 5th, 1998, 04:33 PM
Tom

Be careful...there are two airports in Milan. I wasn't aware of that and had a hotel booked near the wrong airport , with no refund available. We had
take a bus into the main train station and then take the bus out to the otherairport.

Pleas be certain whcih airport you are using.

Old Apr 5th, 1998, 06:41 PM
Dave DiPietro

We are planning a trip to Italy this summer. We will be flying into the Linate airport in Milan. Is the Linate airport closer to the downtown then Malpensa? How close to the auto strada as we will be going to Turin by car.

Old Apr 9th, 1998, 08:04 AM
John Anselmi

Yes, Linate is much closer to the city than Malpensa, and as an intracontinental airport, is less congested.

Old Apr 13th, 1998, 11:14 AM
Becky

I've flown from Malpensa many times and try to stay near the Stazione Centrale (usu Hotel Florida) so I can get the first or second bus to Malpensa in the morning. Taxis are terribly expensive...and the bus is just fine. I find travel to and from Italy very tiring because of the airport situation however I go back at every opportunity!

Old Apr 13th, 1998, 11:39 AM
kam

Could I try to convince all of you to think about travel to Italy differently? We go very often--almost always to Tuscany and we fly BA or United to Heathrow and then BA or Alitalia to Pisa. Many of the medium sized cities in Italy have smaller airports that are served by Alitalia from Frankfurt, London, Zurich, Paris etc. Among the ones I know of personally--Torino, Bologna, Pisa, Venice, Naples, and Palermo. I think but AM NOT SURE that the airport in Florence is now open to commercial flights--previously it was private only. You need to check on this if that's where you're going. It's true that sometime this can get more expensive, but it's certainly something for all of you to think about. Don't cross Italy off your list because of Malpensa--and if you do stay near the Stazione Centrale, have a drink at least at the beautiful old Excelsior Gallia in the Baboon Bar! Have fun!