Search

venice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venice

we are travel newbs planning a couple days in Venice before boarding a ship to cruise back to South Africa. We are 7 people, including my 78 yr old father in law (cant walk far) and my 10 yr old daughter. We have an evening, a full day, and a morning to explore Venice before boarding.

I'm looking for
* accommodation.... CHEAP (we are travelling on a very weak Rand) within walking distance of the major sights in Venice and the water taxis.
*info on best way to get 7 ppl plus luggage from airport to accommodation.
*info on how to get 7 ppl plus luggage from accommodation to harbour
*suggestions on free and cheap things to see and do in Venice.

I have been googling, but it's quite overwhelming - there is SOOOO much info, and personal recommendations are always better than advertiser's splurbs.... ;-) Also, if I get this wrong and make bad choices, I will even *more* unpopular with my in-laws .....

Can anyone offer me suggestions? (this is for Oct 2016, btw)
thanks,
Alice
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 04:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Alice,

firstly, to get from the airport to Venice proper, you have two main choices - a water taxi which, or the ATVO bus,

Firstly the water taxi, which will cost about €100 between the 7 of you. The advantage of the water taxi is that if you choose your hotel wisely, it will deposit you right outside its door. however, apart from the cost, the disadvantage is that it's quite a long walk [though flat] from the airport out to the water dock. You book it at the enquiry desk which is on your right as you walk towards the airport exit doors, once you have exited the customs hall with you luggage.

The ATVO bus, which is about €5 each, goes from right outside the front of the airport, and takes you straight to the Piazzale Roma which is the bus station at the edge of Venice. You can either buy tickets at the ticket office which is on the left as you leave the airport building [opposite the enquiry desk] or on the bus. You then need to catch either a water taxi to your hotel or water bus [vaporetto] from Piazzale Roma to the vaporetto stop nearest to your hotel. Single tickets are now €7.50 each, so that makes €12.50 pp for the journey or €87.50 for your group, making the water taxi possibly more attractive.

[I'm discounting the ACTV bus - it's about the same price but has no luggage compartment underneath and stops a lot, which I would think would make it less suitable for your group]

you can make the Vaporetto journeys cheaper by buying a pass -24 or 48 hours - depending on how much you think you'll use it.

for accommodation, I would suggest looking on trip advisor and booking.com and booking as early as possible. Presumably you will need 2 doubles/twins and a family room that can take an extra bed for the 10 year old. I'm sure that others will have their own ideas but i would have thought that one of the hotels along the rio terra list d'espgna would be a good bet. I know that sounds like a mouthful to pronounce but all it means its that it's a filled in canal. It runs from the station along past a water taxi and vaporetto stop so it would be easy for getting around for your FIL and the water taxi could drop you near the hotel.

As for free things to see and do in Venice, walking is cheap but obviously not suitable for your FIL. A compromise is buying a pass for the vaporetti and using them to see as much as possible - hopping on and off when you get to something that you have decided you want to see. Entry to the Basilica San Marco IS free, and to avoid queuing you can book an entry time.

Regarding the in-laws, I would suggest finding a range of accommodation in price, convenience and comfort and giving them the choice - no reason why you should take all the responsibility let alone the blame.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 04:48 AM

The airport bus arrives at Piazzale Roma.
The people mover to the cruise port starts at Piazzale Roma.
Piazzale Roma is the starting place of most intercity transport (motoscafi and vaporetti to Rialto, San Marco, Lido, etc.)
The most useful pedestrian lanes accross the historic city start at Piazzale Roma.

For all these reasons, I would book a hotel close to Piazzale Roma. You may check Hotel Airone and similars.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 05:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The maritime museum is free and a good visit.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 06:10 AM

All things considered, I'd reserve a water taxi from the airport, as described by ann above. Once you reserve accommodations, you can plot the closest WT stop to your hotel. When you break down the cost for 7 people, it turns out to be a not-too-bad deal, and is a fun and convenient way to enter the city. The walk from the terminal to WT pickup spot at the airport is about 5 minutes. (I seem to remember some travel-book writer actually plotting it at 7 minutes.) You'll probably need hand carriages to transport your luggage there.

If you opt for the bus, then you're stuck getting and paying for another form of transportation to get to your hotel, unless it's close to the train station, which IMHO is not a central location in the city.

Accommodation: Am I understanding you need two nights? You might consider the apartment(s) option. Because of the short stay, that could be tricky, but not impossible. That often works out to be quite economical for 7 people -- though you'll probably need two apartments. Sometimes you can find two in the same building. There are tons of recommendations here by people who have stayed in apartments in Venice. Suggestion when you're booking for several others: Let them look at the online pix, recommendations, and costs, and ask, "So, what do you think?" Takes some of the pressure off you, even if they say, "Whatever you decide is fine." (No complaints later because, hell, you asked them.)

Venice is a walking city, but not an always-easy city in which to walk, especially for the impaired. There are countless small bridges to traverse, and the crowds. Look for attractions near vaporetto stops
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 06:24 AM

If you haven't already done this, you should ask your questions on the message forum for Cruise Critic. Most people here don't take cruises, and on that message forum you will get a lot of people who have already done 2 or 3 or 10 times what you need to do, and many of them have done it with people who have a lot of trouble walking.

You might need to brace your father-in-law for the reality that Venice is too difficult for him to do any extensive sightseeing, and work up a plan whereby he and at least one other member of your family go to some easy places while the rest of you try to take in more. If nothing else, and everyone wants to include FIL so he isn't feeling excluded or a burden, then you and your daughter should plan to run around without the crowd. Make the excuse you are going off to do "kids' things".

How far can your father in law walk, and why can't he walk "far"? How does he do with stairs? With gettng on and off boats and buses? Does he need to sit down frequently, and would bringing a walker with its own seat help? Knowing those things might help people decide whether you need a hotel right near the cruise docks.

You are going to be in Venice such a short time, I wouldn't really make a huge project of getting democratic approval of the sightseeing tour. Just remind everybody that the group is limited by money and mobility issues, that it's too short a trip to see everything, and you'll be guiding them to a couple of free highlights that are easy to get to, and building in some free time for those who have a specific desire to see this or that thing, or go shopping.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Venice is definitely NOT a city for those who have trouble walking.

It isn't like London or New York where you can go door to door by taxi.

Huge crowds and many little bridges make walking difficult in Venice.

I would suggest booking a hotel near a vaporetto stop.

You want cheap, but have not stated a budget.

I have no idea what the rand/€ exchange rate is.

No one can really help you unless you state your budget.

Venice is a tourist city. Very little to do for free. Many of the churches charge admission unless you go to Mass.

You can go into Salute for free, but you have to pay to see the Tintoretto paintings.

San Pantalon is free. You should see the ceiling.

Thin
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 08:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I echo everything thin says. Venice is very VERY difficult for people with mobility issues. The crowds are thick, the pavements are often uneven, and the bridges have lots of steps.

So your father may have to make do with just riding around on the vaporetti and looking at Venice from the water. Just doing that can be fun - he should always try to sit on the back, open air decks where there are between 5 and 8 seats in a semi circle. Great views can be had from there. Then he can get off walk around a little and get back on a different route. Just depends on how limited he is.

We do need to know your budget.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 08:53 AM

Just a note about the open-air areas of the vaporetto: When the weather is good, you and every other tourist in the city will have the same idea -- grab an open-air seat. So realize it can be a bit more challenging than just hopping on board and sitting down. During busy times, you're more likely to get stuck in an indoor seat or in the crowding standing area near the boarding ramp.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 09:16 AM

Agree that Venice is challenging for those with limited walking. It would help if you tell us how far your FIL can actually walk. As mentioned above Venice is an issue for non-walkers. He should probably plan on some cafe sitting to watch the world go by as well as seeing things from vaporettos. But do avoid rush hour and the most crowded stops - since then they are often standing room only, which will be a big issue for him.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 09:32 AM

Making a sightseeing plan based on the idea your father-in-law can get an outdoor seat on the vaporetto is not a great idea.

Although this map is geared for wheelchair users, it can be a great assett if you are traveling with someone who can walk but cannot handle a lot of stairs and needs flat surfaces:

http://www.comune.venezia.it/flex/cm.../IDPagina/1318

But I think what you need to deal with first is how you are going to get from the airport to a hotel that is convenient to getting your luggage to the cruise ship docks. Once you figure that out, you can begin to look at a sightseeing itinerary that works for the group, starting from your hotel.

The message forum on Cruise Critic for Italy's ports probably has experienced folks posting

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum...595&order=desc
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 09:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Last time I was in Venice I rode vaporetti probably 10 or 11 times and only once was I not able to sit in the stern if I wanted.

But it may depend on the time of year - I was there in the first week of October.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 10:05 AM

so agree Venice is a walking city city but this is doable for sure. First as much as I like the water taxi...unless you book a door to door transfer ie they take you to the boat from inside the airport that walk is a bit much considering the situation. Maybe take a bus right from the terminal is better/ Then maybe a hotel right close to the bus stop in Venice? Also you need to consider where your cruise leaves from. Another comment about nothing being cheap etc. well honestly some cities you must go to museums....for me Venice IS a museum and from the vaporetto you really can get some great views or from the cafes. Really just being IN Venice is more than enough. I was far more impressed with every scene I saw from the Vaporetto than inside buildings. I agree cruise critic may be helpful.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 11:37 AM

Cheapest way from airport is via the ATVO airport bus to Piazzale Roma. This is 8 euro per person. I would also choose a hotel in this location as you can take the people mover to the cruise port. This minimises moving around for your elderly father in law.
The Hotel Santa Chiara is budget priced and close to the people mover. I haven't stayed there but it claims to be 'disability friendly'.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel...o.html#REVIEWS

Some information on public transportation in Venice
http://www.veneziaunica.it/en/content/public-transport

Some information on how to navigate Venice with limited mobility

http://www.veneziaunica.it/en/conten...thout-barriers
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:15 PM

You're getting good advice above, and these are helpful links.

I'm another who gets a vaporetto pass for as long as I will be in town and uses it daily.

I think which vaporetto stop you use matters. For example, to get to Piazza San Marco, you could take the San Marco stop (walking past Harry's Bar etc.) rather than the San Zaccharia stop, which requires going over a very packed set of stairs.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 03:02 PM

I was in Venice in mid October. There were people walking from the public boat landing at the airport, in to the airport, and they were having difficulty. The reverse situation would be the same, no matter if one is taking the public boat or a water taxi. It's a hike with luggage.

At the airport, the bus stop is right outside arrivals. That's the least walking arrival, I think.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 03:47 PM

We tried to get cheap accomodation and ended up in Hotel Flora,a 3 myabe 4 stars 5 min on foot of San Marco. Maybe better suited for old folks ?

We got a family room for the 5 of us and paid around 200 € per night - we didn't find something remotely as nice for that price and we found cheap rooms (not sexy at all) for about 100 €/night - and we needed 2 rooms in that configuration.

So yes, definitely look into ideas such as family rooms, appartments but 'normal' hotels will end up costly imo. And since you have very little time, being in the center may be appealing and confortable.

No idea about the rand - but Euro is quite weak too.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 10:01 PM

The walk from the air terminal to the water taxi and ferry dock is about eight or ten minutes. It is on a level footpath, so easy walking.

When we go that way, we always use an airport baggage trolley, easier than hauling a wheeled bag. You need a one euro or two euro coin to obtain a trolley.
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 03:11 AM

Peter: I had mentioned above that someone actually timed the walk: 7 minutes, though we'd have to assume some people walk faster than others. As you noted, it's a level path easily traversed with a baggage trolley or with one bag on wheels. I don't understand why some people are making a big deal out of that part of the trip or why a normal person would be "having difficulty" with it.

If a 7-minute walk on a level footpath is too great an obstacle for someone, I would advise skipping Venice, as that walk is likely to be one of the least strenuous someone will encounter on a visit there.
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 05:07 AM

They can't very well skip Venice as the ship seems to depart there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -