Vegetarians in Scotland

Feb 6th, 1999, 01:16 PM
David

Vegetarians in Scotland

We are thinking of taking a two week trip to Scotland, and wonder how challenging it will be to find vegetarian food as we move away from the larger cities. If any vegetarians want to share their experience of Scotland, we would like to hear from you.

Feb 6th, 1999, 05:15 PM
catherine

I have heard that the Scots love deep fried mars bars.Unfortunately I don,t think that they stuff their haggis with tofu.

Feb 9th, 1999, 02:08 AM
MollyDonnelly

David: I have been living in Scotland for almost a year now and are surprised at how many places serve vegetarian foods. The restaurants always have at least a selection of vegan choices and the grocery stores are full of foods acceptable to vegetarians. Even some of the cookies (biscuits) are labeled "suitable for vegetarians." You may have a little more trouble in the smaller towns, but can always ask for salads and, of course, fish is a big thing here, if you eat that. The people are so nice here, they may not have any problems with fixing you up something that meets your needs. By the way, I'm not a vegetarian, but have wondered about the "vegetarian haggis" that is served here.(???) Could that be considered an oxymoron? Anyway, good luck and come on over. You will enjoy it...guarenteed.

Feb 9th, 1999, 10:38 AM
Tony Hughes

How many times must i post the same message until the server decides it likes the look of it?

Scotland leads the world in the heart disease/heart attack league table, David so i am not going to tell you that you will find all sorts of culinary delights here. In saying all that, we have come a long way since the 'soup-in-a-basket' days of the 1970's and in all restaurants, however provincial, you will come across a vegetarian option.

Deep fried mars bars are indeed a Scots invention but not actually that common. Haggis is stuffed with far more nasty things than tofu, let me tell you (although Macsweens haggis is lovely). Molly i also wonder, even as a Scotsman myself, exactly what they put in vegetarian haggis...its a strange strange thing.

Feb 13th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Sheila Ritchie

As A Scottish vegetarian, I can categorically confirm that you will not have a problem. There are even guide books on the subject.

In the very "Chicken in a Basket" type of pubs you may find that you are faced iwth vegetable lasagene or guolash, but it will at least be there.

And MacSweens vegetarian haggis is excellent. The main ingerients ae oatmeal, onion and nuts.

Sheila

Feb 13th, 1999, 09:55 AM
Tony Hughes

Well, that's me told then ...

Feb 15th, 1999, 04:52 AM
MollyDonnelly

David, there is a guide book called, Scotland the Best that lists all the best of everything in Scotland, including vegetarian restaurants. It concentrates on Edinburgh and Glasgow, but has lists of vegan restaurants in all other areas of Scotland. It costs 10 pounds, but had been invaluable to my family for spot-on suggestions.

Sorry about the haggis remark earlier. I was told this weekend that haggis is no longer made in sheep stomachs which would negate the vegetarian haggis oxymoron. I may have to try that afterall!

Feb 16th, 1999, 04:48 AM
Brian

I've been twice and about everywhere I went there was at least one dish on the menu that was vegetarian!