Finding Paris Hotel at last minute?

Feb 13th, 1999, 05:08 PM
Kathryn

Finding Paris Hotel at last minute?

I've been watching for last minute e-saver flight specials to Paris (for 4-5 day stays) and have seen flights from my hometown for under $300 for last minute bookings!--Very appealing as I would love to take my 12 year old daughter for a "lark"--my question is how hard would it be to find lodging in Paris just 7 days in advance? These low air fares seem to appear Jan-March, so our travel would not be at the height of the tourist season. Would it be best to go to a web site and try to find something that way and book by e-mail? Has anyone traveled like this lately? Thanks for your input!!!

Feb 13th, 1999, 07:12 PM
Donna

There are lots of hotels on the web where you can book via e-mail. You might want to browse through the Paris hotel messages posted in this Forum for tips and ideas. You can also try an inquiry at www.france.com (they are very helpful and their rates are among the lowest for the same hotels) or www.180096hotel.com.

Feb 15th, 1999, 12:52 AM
Harriet

Yes! Go! How wonderful for you and your daughter! Here are a few more hotel booking services to try. They'll give you prices and will email you regarding availability. You can also easily book via email. We're going at the tail end of Easter Week so we had a little trouble finding something for the first few days. You shouldn't have any trouble. Good luck. Bon voyage.
digital.france.com/hotels
france-hotel-guide.com
interresa.ca
www.paris-hotel.com

Feb 16th, 1999, 04:31 AM
Lee

Kathryn: One year ago, we took the exact trip.

On Tuesday, I received an "E-Saver" announcement about a Paris flight leaving on Friday. I faxed it to my wife at work and she called to say she could get time off from work. *Gulp*, I was only kidding...!

Well, we tried to get seats on the flight and they were taken, but they said to call back the next day as sometimes people book the "E-Saver" and don't take it. She called back and got two seats. Oh, oh.

I checked the weather forecast and it looked good, I was also able to get off from work, so all we needed was a hotel. No problem, we found one right in the Latin Quarter.

We bought tickets and booked our hotel on Wednesday, packed on Thursday and left on Friday.

Did I mention that we had a great time? We did.

Good luck, my advice is to go for it.

Feb 16th, 1999, 06:24 AM
Monica

Hi Kathryn, To add another story like Lee's, my Mother and I were supposed to fly stand-by from Philadelphia to Rome and the flight was overbooked. The agent said, "don't bother for the next 3 days!" My vacation time was ticking. So I said to my Mother, how about Paris? Yes! Since at that time (October 1997) there were two flights a day, we had no problem getting on board the next evening. My husband dropped us off at one of the airport hotels and took all of my Italian books/maps/etc, and asked that he call our hotels in Italy to cancel our reservations. Mom and I spent the next day shopping for a French language book and travel guide. Got on board, arrived the next a.m. and called one of the hotels listed in the travel book (Frommer's), and we were off! What a great time we had. We only had to stop every few days to plan for the next several days. Took in Paris, Giverny, Chartres, Versailles, and stayed in Tours for 3 nights to enjoy the town and near by Chateaux.

Have a wonderful time in Paris! My husband and I will be there this May.

Feb 16th, 1999, 06:46 AM
martha

What a great mom! Yes, go. Book the flights and do try to get a room before you leave, but remember that every summer (Ye Olde Peake Seasonne) jillions of backpacking college students arrive in the major cities of Europe and throw themselves on the mercy of the tourist information centers in train stations, and it all works out just fine. Booking ahead can get you a nicer, less expensive room with charming hotel keepers, but if you have to pay a few francs more and your breakfast chocolat isn't all that good, I suspect the two of you will find compensations.