Chester --who's been?

Feb 8th, 1999, 12:26 PM
travel

Chester --who's been?

I am wondering how much time I should alot to the city of Chester. I am thinking I will get there maybe 3:15PM? I figure this is an overnighter, but is it a two nighter?

thanks!

Feb 8th, 1999, 01:13 PM
Deb

Chester has a pretty downtown with quite a few in a Tudor-style along with some Roman ruins and medieval city walls. It is definitely worth visiting but I recommend for one night.

Feb 9th, 1999, 03:48 PM
Mike Miller

It is worth a half a day to a day and not much more. The downtown area is pretty, the Cathedral worth a look and there are alot of Roman ruins in town.

Feb 11th, 1999, 06:44 AM
leechase

I agree.....just a one nighter!

Feb 11th, 1999, 08:56 AM
Joe

Yep, a one nighter, but the cathedral is worth some time. I attended evensong there, and it's impressive.

Feb 14th, 1999, 07:34 AM
Joan

We were there in June of 1996. In a three week driving tour of England and Scotland it was our least-favorite city. One night is enough and really try not to be there on a Saturday. Crowds are awful during the day and the "party" noise at night kept us awake until the pubs closed. It might be a nice place to visit offseason as the buildings are interesting.

Feb 16th, 1999, 04:10 AM
kimerley

We spent 2 dreadful nights there in September 1998.
Pretty depressing place. B&Bs were not so good. Some nice buildings to view which will take a couple of hours.
Maybe use it as a base for touring some of Wales. A visit to Lyme park (Pride &Prejudice) is about an hour away.

Feb 16th, 1999, 07:39 AM
Susan

It has been 20 years since I saw Chester, but it remains one of my favorite memories. It was a lovely town w/beautiful red brick everywhere and a pleasant area to stroll by the river Ouse. The people were esp. friendly. My father was there about 10 years ago and it was a favorite place for him also. One night would be enough, but I wouldn't want to skip it.

Feb 16th, 1999, 07:41 AM
Susan

It has been 20 years since I saw Chester, but it remains one of my favorite memories. It was a lovely town w/beautiful red brick everywhere and a pleasant area to stroll by the river Ouse. The people were esp. friendly. My father was there about 10 years ago and it was a favorite place for him also. One night would be enough, but I wouldn't want to skip it.