Vegetarian Visit

Search

Vegetarian Visit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegetarian Visit

I love Paris and am going again. Happily, my daughter has decided she would like to go, too. I'm very excited.

Of course, Paris is as much about the food as anything else, but she is a vegetarian. Any ideas? I know that creperies will be a good choice, but I never paid any attention at regular restaurants. Are there vegetarian choices or will we need to find specialty vegetarian restaurants? Any recommendations?

My favorite restaurants have always been Fodor's bulletin board recommendations, so I'm counting on all of you. Thanks.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:07 AM
ira

Hi cc,

This is from a previous thread.

You can find more info if you search "Paris and vegetarian" in this forum.

For vegetarians: http://www.vegetarianguides.co.uk/paris

http://www.nwfolk.com/vegparis.html

http://www.ivu.org/avf/VisitFrance/visitfranceMAIN.html

http://www.vegetarianguides.co.uk/sa...einparis.shtml

also, timeout.com has a listing of vegetarian restaurants in its Paris section

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:23 AM

For a real splurge, go to La Varenne, on rue de Varenne. This 3 star initially wasn't vegetarian, then became so a few years ago, and I've heard that there are some non-vegetarian dishes on the menu now.

Wonderful food and service to the nth degree.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:54 PM

I don't go to too many vegetarian restaurants but we tried one a few weeks back that is conveniently located, laid-back and reasonably priced: Le Genier de Notre Dame, 18 rue de la Bucherie. Here are notes on it:

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...+restaurant%29
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:30 PM

I don't know about vegetarian restaurants in Paris, though I know they exist, but my daughter has always been pretty much a vegetarians (no red meat, an occasional bite of chicke or turkey, lots of carbs and greens, beans and legumes of all kinds), and we've never had a problem finding food on an ordinary Paris restaurant/bistro/brasserie/café that she would happily eat. There are salads of all kinds, of course, and always omelettes and frites, and in at least a few places when she has requested just a plate of vegetables or rice or whatever, waiters have always happily obliged.
Of course, we wouldn't try this in a very fancy place, but for an average restaurant or bistro, it shouldn't be a problem. I doubt you'll have to seek out strictly vegetarian places.

Also, if she eats Chinese or Indian or Thai or Vietnames, there are plenty to choose from. I don't think this is an issue. Just check out menus before you go in.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM

I may be wrong, but nearly all frites in Paris will be fried in lard or in animal fat. Does that work with a vegetarian? On the other hand most restaurants have at least one or more vegetarian choices even as main courses. Even easier for entrees.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:07 AM

In my experience you will probably need to choose restaurants carefully - otherwise she will end up eating omelettes and cheese sandwiches the whole visit. I wouldn't recommend the veggie restaurants. Some places I have eaten in that do offer a tasty vegetarian option are:
JULIEN 16 rue du Faubourg St-Denis,
Maceo 15 rue des Petits-Champs,
LE SAFRAN, 29 rue d'Argenteuil
LE VIOLON D'INGRES, 135 rue St-Dominique

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM

My earlier post was mistaken; the name of the place is l'Arpege.