vegetarian spain and portugal...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone who has travelled spain and portugal and has come across really good vegetarian retaurants,please tell me about them....do you realize that the spanish have about 20 vocabulary words to describe pig meat????
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:25 AM

You need to narrow it down as its too vast an area. To be honest I found it harder in Spain to find more veggie food and started eating similar dishes each time Patatas bravas, Tortilla etc. Very nice but heavy after a week of it. Do a search on the web for particular cities you will be in. Also I find in most european countries at least 1-2 veggie options on menus. I am sure there is also the 1 veg restaurant every so often! I assume portugal will be similar
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:37 AM

My wife and SIL are vegetarians and did fine for a week in Portugal, but I don't think any places were particularly spectacular for them. I'll ask though.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:38 AM

The most widely-eaten Spanish supper dish is called a tortilla, although it Italy it would be called a frittata and it doesn't resemble a Mexican tortilla in any way. The Spanish tortilla is scrambled eggs and onions and often potatoes and other veg cooked as pie and sliced, sometimes served at room temperature. It is most often a vegetarian dish, although sometimes seafood or meat is added.

English also has about 20 words to describe pig meats if you stop to think about it.

Where are you going? In the major cities, you are going to find vegetarian restaurants and there are websites that list them. In other places, you might have a harder time finding many dishes other than tortillas, although soups like gazpacho, or cold almonds soup, are popular depending on the region. Most rice and pasta dishes in Spain can be made without meat on request. Sliced cheeses, often served with peppers or olives, are commonly found througout Spain. You can almost always find salads and sides of green vegetables.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Yes, where are you going--what region at least?
I did fine in Andalucia. If you order something like scrambled eggs and potatoes, make sure you say no jamon. You need not seek out vegetarian restaurants though, most places I went had excellent vegetable dishes, but again Spanish cuisine is somewhat regional so more specifics would result in better replies.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:44 AM

yes, make sure even if you ask if there is no meat or fish you also need to say no jamon as well, apparantly it is often not considered in the same category as meat. We had a big laugh one time when I asked about a pasta sauce and the waiter proudly responded, no, no meat, only ham !!!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Just back from Madrid & Barcelona. I found many vegetable dishes available
with soups and salads prevelant. And the ever popular huevos are on all menus 24-7.