Search

Vegetarian Eating in Basque Country

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegetarian Eating in Basque Country

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Basque Country for 10 days in August (Bilbao, Lekeitio and San Sebastian). We would like to partake in the foodie scene but I am worried that we may have trouble given that we don't eat meat or shellfish. I know that many of the higher scale restaurants only have tasting menus. I'm sure they can accommodate our dietary restrictions but I'm wondering if it's worth it. That is, should we pay 100 Euro per person for some vegetables? Does anyone have experience at some of these restaurants? Or does anyone have suggestion for places with a la carte menus that would fit our needs? Thanks in advance.

Michelle
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Please note that the chef's your are referring to in this 'higher scale restaurants" are not cooks, but creative artists and usually offer only a limited menu for lunch or dinner. So no, it would not be worth it unless you eat fish at least, which is on every menu in the Basque country.

Besides the tasting menu, some higher end restaurants also offer a menu del dia for lunch and all have a la carte selections for both lunch and dinner.

Take a look at Maribel's Guide to the País Vasco for some suggestions on where to dine.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 06:16 PM

The tapas rstaurants should staify your veggieness and your palates. Very often the Spanish standard or veggieness is less ham in the soup.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 07:40 AM

What a shame. La Cepa serves a nice plate of wild mushrooms though. The only other things I can think of are Patatas Bravas and Ensalada Mixta.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM

There are a lot of vegetarian tapas/pintxos particularly if you eat eggs, cheese and fish (tuna, hake, fresh anchovies, cod and sardines, etc.)

The fish is generally wonderful and served as often as shellfish in Basque restaurants.