Search

Vegatarian Eating in italy

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegatarian Eating in italy

What are my chances of starving?

I'm looking forward to authentic Italian cooking, however whenever I look at menu samples online I find it very hard to find anything vegetarian, except for the Pizza. A girl can' t live on Pizza alone! I don't eat chicken, fish or seafood. I Love pasta, however i see that many pasta dishes are either seafood, chicken or meat enhanced dishes. Even the "cheese" pasta dishes are sometimes advertised as cheese ravioli in shrimp sauce (example). Do you have any advice on vegetarian eating during my trip? Is there such as thing as a vegetarian in Italy?!?!? I think I'll be living on bread, pizza and Gelato. Or, if you can recommend any vegetarian type resteraunts in Bellagio, Verona, Venice, Padua, Pordennone areas I would appreciate it.
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I have no personal experience yet, but maybe this helps:
http://www.happycow.net/europe/italy/

However a diet of bread, pizza and gelato, maybe with some robust red wine thrown in, sounds like it has merit!
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
There were always salads on the menus and lots of vegetable choices as side dishes. Eggplant showed up a lot. We were just there during asparagus season, so lots of dishes with asparagus. Risotto with amarone wine is very popular in Verona and delicious. Also ravioli with pumpkin was on lots of menus. I'm not a vegetarian so didn't pay a lot of attention, and can't recommend specific restaurants, but my sense is that there were food choices that will work 4 u..if not, a diet of gelato would be just fine by me!

Have a great trip - between this year's vacation and last year's we were in all the places u will be visiting.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It also depends how strict you are. if you will not eat something made with chicken broth, for example, that makes it a bit more difficult (even with vegetable side dishes, for example). Do you eat dairy, eggs, and cheese? If yes that will make it quite a bit easier. If we are talking vegan, that's obviously more difficult.

If you don't speak Italian, you can make or buy flashcards with dietary restrictions printed on them. So you could show or ask the waiter "I don't eat meat, or animal stock.. " or whatever" or "Does this dish (pointing to menu) have any animal products".

Yes I'm sure there are some vegetarians in Italy. And certainly other tourists who've gone before you!
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM

Al Mascaron Osteria in Venice. It's not vegetarian, but you can select from the platters of food, many of which are meatless/fishless. The platters are at the counter and a three- choice food plate is 20Euros and it's a lot of food. We were three people and ordered 2 plates and a big green salad of absolutely delicious tomatoes and lettuce. I ate there last month and it was really good. I'd go all the way back to Venice just to have a meal there again.

I don't eat meat/poultry and have a dairy allergy, but I do eat fish and or vegan food. However, you should be fine at Al Mascaron Osteria. Google it. It's very famous. Giada, on the cable cooking show even did an episode from the place. It's on Santa Maria Formosa, (Castello). The street is between the Hotel Scandinavia and the Bar All'Orologio , about a 3 minute walk into the street and on the right side of the street. You can't miss it. There are stickers all over the glass door. Happy Travels!
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:11 PM

Insalata Caprese -- mozarella, tomatoes, Basil

Pesto wherever you can get it

In Venice: La Zucca (zucca= pumpkin) -- wonderful! Mostly veggie, though a couple of meat dishes there. I go here every visit to Venice. Read a review if you can -- you may want to go there every night in Venice.

There's also trattoria Antico something-- I'll look it up, I have the business card somewhere--has pumpkin gnocci most evenings--wonderful! They also have a cheese course and salads. It's the first major left turn after crossing the Rialto from San Marco area, about a block down on the right.

Enoteca San Marco (not far from San Marco) has wonderful dishes -- I've eaten there without meat many times--I actually avoid meat and don't eat fish, and I've done well in Venice despite the emphasis on fish. They too have a nice cheese course.

Pasta, veggies (le verdure, also listed under contorni or side dishes), insalata mista, caprese, and eggplant/spinach/chard funghi (mushrooms) will easily see you through.

Also Panini -- often a cheese (caprese) sandwich available especially for lunch.

What I don't think you'll find is much soy product.

In Bellagio, there's a hearty veggie dish called pizzochera, also available other places but prominent here.
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:05 PM

Toodles-my DH and I are lacto-ovo vegetarians and
have survived in Italy on several trips. I don't want to see any Italian food after we get home for a long time.We have always been able to find vegetarian pizzas, pastas, salads, roasted veggies, lots of gelato, etc. Sometimes we manage to find an ethnic restaurant. I have found the "happy cow" link Nelson
mentioned to be useful also. Have a good trip!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:00 AM

Toodles - I think that Italy is one of the best countries I have been to for vegetarian food. The only city we went to on your list is Venice and, unfortunately, I thought that Venice had the poorest selection of vegetarian cuisine (and cuisine, in general) of the cities we went to. Even so, I know that you will have many options. At nearly every bacari, they sell vegetarian small dishes (almost like tapas). I am currently posting about our italy trip report so when I get to the Venice part, I will put in more suggestions.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM

Cheese ravioli in shrimp sauce????? Wherever did you come up with that? That sounds like something the Olive Garden would serve as a fake Italian entrée.

Nonetheless, Italy is full of food that a vegetarian can eat. This simply won't be an issue for you. In any town or city there will be hundreds of choices within a block or two that will meet your needs.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM

No, no, no you won't starve at all. In fact, you'll eat very well. We aren't vegetarians, but don't eat much meat. Many Italian restaurants offer non-meat dishes as main courses (secondi); they just don't list them as vegetarian. Examples are scamorza (basically, cheese that's been grilled), polenta with various toppings (cheese or mushrooms).

Also, I've found that there are always (ok, maybe almost always) several pasta dishes that do not include meat. In the worst case scenario, you could ask a restaurant to make you spaghetti aglio olio - spaghetti with garlic and olive oil. Any restaurant will have the ingredients for that.

And you'll find the pizzas are a delight - I rarely eat pizza that has meat on it, and always have a huge variety. You'll be able to get pizza with eggplant, zucchini and other vegetables that you never see on a pizza in the U.S.

Side vegetables are often served as a separate dish in Italy, and listed separately on the menu. It's common to get one or two of these side dishes and share them, though I often get them just for myself if it's an item (such as sauteed spinach) that nobody else in my family likes. The roasted potatoes are delicious, as are beans (fagioli), which are generally a Tuscan dish, but you'll see them elsewhere. It's amazing what cooking something in olive oil can do for the taste!

Enjoy
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 07:24 AM

Just tell your food server 'sono vegetariano' and you should
be fine.....Italy is full of heavenly non-meat dishes.

I've never had a problem getting non-meat meals anywhere in
Western Europe - but then I'm not a vegan. Yet.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM

I recently returned from a trip to Italy. There were 9 in our group and 2 were vegetarians, we never had any trouble in any restaurant finding a vegetarian option...I don't think you will go hungry.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the wonderful replies. I will be sure to google the reccomended websites! You've put my fears to rest. I did put an Italian translator on my iPhone in case I run into any problems explaining my food preferences.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:04 AM

I agree that you can eat very, very well as a lacto-ovo vegetairian in Italy.

If you are looking for restaurants on-line, I wonder if the menus you see may not be representative of the neighborhood trattorie and small family-run eateries that are all over Italy, but rather those of more upscale places that seek to appeal to an affluent international clientele who expect meat at every meal. I am not vegetarian, but often eat meatless meals in Italy because the offerings of vegetarian pastas and vegetables/ "contorni" are so varied and appealing that I choose them over meat items.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:32 AM

You wont have a problem. My favorite dinner entree is grilled vegetables (verdure grigliate, or verdure alla griglia). Only once have I ordered that dish and have been unhappy-because they did not prepare them fresh and warm but instead served them cold from the refrigerated case. Even if it's not on the menu, you can ask them to make you a plate. Pasta primavera is another favorite of mine. It's pasta with veggies.

I went to google and typed in "piatti vegetariani, bellagio" and got more hits than you'll need. When you see the words, "Piatti vegetariani e biologici." You'll know that they offer <i>organic</i> vegetarian dishes. Don't worry, you'll eat well. (That's an understatement) Lucky you!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM

There is no reason whatever to starve. there are plenty of pastas without any meat or fish - either plain or with cheese or vegetables. There are also plenty of salads and antipasti (you can stick to the vegetable selections). Also there are vegetarian restaurants if you google them - featuring things like eggplant parmesan.

Actually Italy is one of the easiest places to be a vegetarian.