Vatican Tous

Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:21 PM
Susyn

Vatican Tous

Does anyone recommend a Vatican Tour? A few months ago, Scavi was recmmended but I do not havea website forit. There is so much to see, and only a few days. Any recomendations? Thanks

Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Susyn;
you mighr want to email [email protected] I booked 2 seperate private tours with them.One is for the Vatican it's on a Wednesday so we got tickets to the Papal mass ( by the way thease tickets were free and no should be charged for them).We are also doing a tour of ancient Rome the next day.
Chay is very knowledgable and accomidating.
I will post a report when I return.
Sherri

Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:25 PM
Book Chick

I took a tour of the Vatican Museum & St. Peter's in January. I booked it at the American Express office in Piazza di Spagna & thought it was really good.

Buon Viaggio,
BC

Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:26 PM
VH

My husband and I did the Scavi tour in 2000 and HIGHLY recommend it! It's a guided tour under the Vatican with very few people (due to size). For information on how to obtain reservations (a must), go to: http://www.santasusanna.org/popeVatican/museums.html
The only thing we did that was more exciting was the papal audience (we were THISCLOSE to John Paul). We obtained tickets for this at the above site as well.

Jul 4th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Ursula

I have not been able to contact [email protected]. Can you help?

Jul 4th, 2002, 07:17 AM
elaine

Susyn
Just to clarify, the Scavi tour is only for a particular area under St Peter's Basilica, where there is a burial crypt.
Groups are limited in size, and advance reservations have to be made at the Vatican's Scavi office. Everyone says this is a wonderful experience. I had booked this for my Rome trip but had to skip it because my time was running out and I had other things I wanted to see.

You can also take a tour of the rest of St Peter's by booking on site at the tourist office which is on the left side of St Peter's Square as you face the church. The tour is about an hour and is excellent.

The Vatican Museums, which include the Sistine Chapel (The Chapel is actually part of St Peter's but is connected to the Vat. Museums) offer tours that you can book on site, but based on my experience I don't recommend them.
Our guide spoke unintelligible English.
You can also rent a self-guided audio tour I believe.

Then as others have mentioned, there are groups that offer tours of the Vatican, most of the tours include St Peter's (but not the Scavi.) As above, Am Ex, Enjoy Rome, and my beloved
Scala Reale offer those tours, which have to be booked in advance.
www.scalareale.org

Jul 4th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Ken Slanker

Or, you can call the American College at the Vatican directly. Then when you get to Rome, pick them up near Trevi Fountain. We went to the Wednesday Papal meeting (which was during Christmas / New Years). Wonderful. Also did the Vatican Museums, St. Peters and the Tombs of the Popes (although we made no special arrangements).

You really need to understand just a little Italian and be able to ask directions. The first time I went to Italy, I had the naive thought that English was probably understood and spoken......remember it is Italy and inhabited by Italians; they speak Italian.

I think we spent at least two whole days at the Vatican and that was not enough.

Jul 4th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Sherri Kardell

Ursula;
I do not know what's going on with the three amigos. I heard from them within 24 hours.Keep trying.

Jul 4th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Karen

itcan or Scavi Tour. Karen

Jul 4th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Karen

Susyn, My whole post got lost, I don't know how. Only the last few words came on. Definitely check out Scala Reale for tours in Rome. I took only two tours in Italy and both were with them. They are a little more expensive $50 per person, but worth every penny. I took the Forum and Coloseum tour and the Vatican tour. Both went well over the four hours. The guides are mostly grad students that are specializing in a particular area. They have a love and passion for the subject and it is contagious. I would have thought the Forum and Coloesuem were an interesting bunch of old ruins and rocks, but my guide made them come alive with history, facts, and stories. As for the Vatican, there were only four of us on the tour.Some companies will cancel if only two or four show up. I was completely awestruck when the Vatican tour was over. Even if you don't use them take it with someone. You won't regret it. The Scavi Tour is completely different. It goes down way under the church to where St. Peter is buried. They only take 120 people a day, so you have to reserve very early,(six months), you give them a requested day and they will tell you the time. Scala Reale worked around my Scavi Tour so I got to do it all on the same day.

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:59 AM
MM

I would HIGHLY recommend the Scala Reale tour of the Vatican. Hands-down the best tour group. Our guide was extremely knowledgable. Our group size included myself, my husband and one other man. It was like having a private tour. I believe their typical group size is never larger than 8-10. Check out their website.