Search

Vatican tours?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vatican tours?

My husband and I will be visiting Rome for about 5 days in August and we would definitely like to see the Vatican-ean earlier message suggested going through the Vatican website to help bypass the long lines. Another suggested to look into Selectitaly.com. I looked up the latter and the tours looked good-smaller groups of people 4-8, but the price seemed kind of steep-$120 pp plus the entrance fee. I would welcome any advice or experiences! Thanks
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Not sure what you mean by the Vatican. Are you talking about WSt Peter's? Or the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel? Of the private Vatican tours (excavations, gardens etc - which must be ticketed in advance by the Vatican)?

We did the two former on our own with a guide book and did just fine. (Better than some of the tour groups we overheard). The others naturally you have to do through the Vatican - ufficio scavi.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:46 AM

My family visited the Vatican on a recent trip, with a tour guide for around 4 hours. She was kind of expensive, but an expert on the history and the art, so I did enjoy the perspective she provided. That said, I think you could enjoy it very much without a guide, just read a good guidebook before you go.

As far as the line to get in, the advice we received was to go at mid-day, as the line to get in is often much shorter at this time. We went at 12:30 (after eating an early-ish lunch) and only waited 40 minutes on line to get in , and the line moves pretty quickly. We met some families during our trip who never did get in to the Vatican, because they encountered a 3-4 hour line, so perhaps the time of day we went made a difference.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:15 AM

$120 is a ridiculous amount of money for a tour - they really shouldn't cost you any more than 40 euro or so plus the entrance. Have a look at www.wheninrometours.com for an example of a comprehensive Vatican tour at 40 Euro.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:56 AM
MaureenB

If you search this site, I previously posted the exact information on how to reserve directly with the Vatican. It is the least expensive way to go, and the only way to get a confirmed entrance time. You have to fax to and from the Vatican for your confirmation.