Vatican secret tour???

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Vatican

Vatican secret tour???

Anyone ever heard of this? I thought I read a posting on this a few months ago. I did a search, but couldn't find anything. Maybe I imagined it??

I'll be in Rome soon and I've already done the regualr Vatican tour, I'm interested in something more in-depth.

Thanks!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Mylips

Sorry, I can't tell you. It's a secret.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:40 AM
jpm

Perhaps you are thinking of the tour of the Necropolis beneath St. Peter's. I took this tour in November 2000 and it was one of the greatest things we saw, unfortunately, I believe these tours have now been closed. See this article:

http://www.cathtelecom.com/news/101/22.asp

Hopefully they will be reopened in the future.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:05 AM
ellen

The previous poster is citing old news - note the article is January 2001. I took the Scavi tour a month ago. It's a tour of what's known as the Necropolis and it is fascinating. You must make advance reservations. You can e-mail them at [email protected] and tell them when you will be in Rome, how many people, what language. They will then e-mail you back with the day and time of your tour. You should do this well in advance for peak tourist months. To read more, go to the Vatican's website at www.vatican.va. Then go to site map, click on the letter "V" and go to Vatican Necropolis office. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Vatican

Thanks Ellen! This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for....

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:15 PM
kelvy

Go to the link below for the cached page of TWENJ's website (which is supposedly coming back up in the future per recent postings here on Fodor's); the link below will take you to Google's cached page. When you get to the cached page the links on it are dead, but the text info there will give you plenty of good scoop on the Scavi tour.

NOTE, the email address for the Scavi office that I used last August to get a reservation is the same one that you see on the TWENJ page:
[email protected]

I did the Scavi tour in October 2001 and to the best of my knowledge the tours have not ended. Do NOT miss it when you are in Rome - downright Wonka-esque!

An aside re. the tour I went on, we had the standard 10 people (max) in my group and I was surprised talking to my fellow Scavi-ites that day and learning about about all of the different hoops folks jumped through to get on the tour...Some people had their local Parish priest do it in writing; others did it on their own via snail mail and got into a back and forth w/the Scavi office, were required to send payment in advance, etc...lots of hassles. I just emailed, and it was a breeze! The whole event is pretty cool...you have to approach the Swiss Guards on their guardpost to the left side of the basilica and conduct your business with them, they OK you to go back to the office. I paid when I got back to the office, in 10/01 it was 15,000 lire...I'll bet they're charging 10 Euro for it now.

As TWENJ says, when you email, give them a wide open window of times you will be in Rome and be able to go, rather than just one block of time on one day, which will increase your chances of getting a slot. Be flexible and willing to adjust your sightseeing schedule in Roma once you get your reservation!

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...avi+tour&hl=en

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 12:36 PM
nina ansel

I just received my confirmation by email that I got a reservation for this tour for Feb 5 at 9:00 in the morning. I just emailed them 2 days ago. The cost is stated as 9 euros. It was a very simple thing to do. I can't wait til we leave for Rome on Feb 1.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:19 PM
jpm

I am so glad that the article I posted is no longer accurate. The tour was one of the best we took. We also just emailed, had our reply the next day, and I snail mailed them a check. Very simple.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:11 PM
nina ansel

regarding scavi tour. Payment of this tour is not done until you arrive .(10 minutes before the tour). They only ask that you confirm 2 days before.

Thanks

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Sherri

I have a question - how long is the tour?

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Michael

They state that it is 1 to 1.5 hours. I have reservation in July at 9pm.

Michael

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 08:17 PM
bkf

TTT
+
going to Rome in Feb. while spouse does meetings. What is the DO NOT MISS item?
thanks
.b

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Michael

Don't miss the tour of the Necropolis. You will have to contact the Uficio Scavi in the Vatican to pre-arrange a scheduled tour. Well worth it. Also, make sure you climb the steps to the cupola of St. Peters Basilica. Enter to the right of the main entrance, clearly marked. The view is breathtaking and half way up you enter into the rotunda itself. Very wow. If you are interested in mass at St. Peters...the 10:30 service is real nice. Get there as early as 9:45 for a seat or you will stand....

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Helen

Thru this particular post I first learned of Necropolis tour and jumped on it emailing right away for late April. We are on cruise so only have one day and I could only give them window of four hours and there are four of us. However I was thrilled to get an apointment. Info said charge is now $10 american pp and they wanted a check sent to them 30 days prior plus a confirmation phone call a few days prior to appointment. H

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Patricia

While reading info on the cached page it says no one under 15 is admited to these tours. Is that still the case?

I guess that would leave us out, as I can't just leave my 10 and 13 year old sitting out on the Vatican steps! I can understand they don't want 2-year-olds in strollers on the tour, but 15 seems a little excessive.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Redds

One other question - what is the best way to get there? Is there is metro stop close by or should I take a taxi?