Reload this Page >

Vatican Necropolis

Search

Vatican Necropolis

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 08:56 AM
av

Vatican Necropolis

Did anyone visit Vatican necropolis under Saint Peter basilica and does it worth a trouble. Also do you absolutely have to make a reservations? Guidebooks give a fax for Vatican reservation office, but also mention a possibility get into the same-day tour. <BR>Thanks

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:04 AM
Ed

Definitely worthwhile. <BR> <BR>Same-day admission very rare, if not impossible, as the tours of the Scavi have become better known. <BR> <BR>Can also book by e-mail. Info at www.twenj.com/romevatican.htm <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:42 AM
pam

AV, <BR>Have you searched this forum? My mother and I took this tour in early March and I posted regarding our experience. It is worthwhile, and if you seriously want to take this tour, I would make reservations in advance as advised. At any rate, the Scavi office opens at 9am. I made reservations by email and sent a personal check by way of payment before we left the States. Upon our arrival in Rome, I telephoned the Scavi office to confirm that our payment had been received and that all was in order.

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:55 AM
Gerry

AV: <BR> <BR>Depends on your interests. If you are religious it can be a very moving experience. If you are interested in history or archiology, you will find it fascinating. Our guide was a seminarian from Nebraska and very good. <BR>When we went in March there were 12 of us on the tour. I would guess probably 2000 people visiting St. Peter's at the same time. A thousand more at the Vatican museum, trying to see the Cistine chapel. Those other people didn't get to see it! Only 12 out of thousands. It makes you feel privileged and special. Add to this that there is considerable pressure to further limit or close this tour completely. They are very concerned that the site may be damaged. <BR>I e-mailed the dates I was to be in Rome. They picked the time of my tour and the date. I just felt lucky to get it. You can show up and wait on stand-by. If someone doesn't show up, they'll let you go. An Italian couple made it onto our tour. She didn't speak English! Tours are given in several languages so you have to specify the language you want and adults only. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps and Good Luck. <BR> <BR>Gerry

Old May 2nd, 2001, 03:04 AM
Bob

Hi! <BR> <BR>Will be taking the Scavi tour on May 31st!!!! 29 more days to go!! Can't wait!! <BR> <BR>Bob

Old May 8th, 2001, 10:35 PM
Char

Gerry is right - I felt the same way - so lucky to be there. Do reserve ahead. You can do that through twenj.com <BR>I didn't send a check but did bring my confirmation with me. Wonderful guide. <BR>Beware if you are claustrophobic. No way out once you're in. You see tourists through floor holes above you walking in St. Peter's . Wierd feeling.

Old May 9th, 2001, 04:17 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I recently emailed the Scavi office myself about reservations for later on, no reservation yet but they did send a response saying they'd received my request. <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Mike

I just received my confirmation of an upcoming tour of the Necropolis, but am somewhat confused as to whether the ticket price only includes the tour of the Necropolis or does it also include admission into the Sistine Chapel as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:21 PM
pam

Through the Ufficio Scavi you should only be paying for admission to the excavations/necropolis. Admission to the Sistine Chapel is gained via the Vatican Museums.

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Ed

Mike: <BR> <BR>There's no connection between the Scavi and the Sistine Chapel, other than both being in the Vatican. The escavations are under the Basilica, the Chapel in the Museums. The Scavi tour fee covers only the tour of the excavations. <BR> <BR>I'd be curious to know what the Scavi had to say that lead you to ask the question. Sometimes translation can cause a problem. <BR> <BR>

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Isabel

Hi Bob, <BR>What time are you scheduled for your tour on May 31st? I have tried to book with the Scavi for the earlier dates of my trip, but I haven't heard from them -which by now probably means there is no available spot. I fly back to NY at 4pm on the 31st, but if the tour is early enough and there is a spot for me, maybe I will see you there! <BR>Thanks

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:56 AM
av

Never get answer from Scavi. Probably will visit it next time in Rome. Anyway we were so tired by the time we got to Vatican, that I didnot even try to get in. I defenitely can recommend to visit San Clemente - absolutely no hassle and very interesting

Old May 18th, 2001, 08:41 PM
Michelle

I e-mailed them last week about a tour for any of the three days I'm in Rome (early June). I know it was late to contact them but I never know my vacation dates until the last minute. I recieved a confirmation of receipt and a processing number within an hour, but about 4 days later received another e-mail saying I was unsuccessful this time. I guess the moral is - give as much notice as possible.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:20 PM
Isabel

Anyone considering a tour to the Necropolis should really make the effort. It was one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen. I had a reservation, but my friend did not. The office was nice enough to allow her to go in even though they turned down others(the office told people they were completely booked through June). My friend, who lives in Athens -surrounded by ancient sights, says that the Necropolis was incredible.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:06 PM
bbook

Gulp...how claustrophobic, Char? I can get a little edgy in tight spots like elevators sometimes. Will you explain a little more about your experience inside the necropolis? I was hoping to get reservations for October, but now I'm not so sure I want to do this.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Ed

Nothing claustrophobic about the Necropolis. Quite open and spacious for the most part, and at worst nothing tighter than an average room in an average home. The basilica floor above you (in one part of the tour) is about 10-12 feet above you ... this is not a mine tunnel! <BR> <BR>Julie's a bit of a claustrophobe and didn't for a moment think about it.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Gerry

My wife is claustraphobic and it didn't bother her. She never even mentioned it. No more claustraphobic than a train, airplane or your hotel. <BR> <BR>Gerry

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Rod

I don't consider myself a religious person whatsoever, but I just returned from taking the tour of the Necropolis and found it very moving and quite fascinating! One thing to be aware of. Make sure you go to the left side of the Vatican to go on the tour, however, check in ALL bags in the security area to the right side of the Vatican. We failed to do so and almost had our tour cancelled as the manager of the Scavi was extremely rude to me and two senior citizens and threatened to cancel our reservations if we weren't back in two minutes before the tour started. (TRY running across the Vatican to check in bags in two minutes and then have the changing of the Swiss guards take place during this process). A pleasant seminary who was leading the tour was quite embarrassed at this gentleman and asked for us to hurry and that he would hold the tour for us. We had arrived 30 min prior to the start of the tour and had difficulty finding the Scavi office.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Jeann

I tried to book for the second week in July and all the available tours were completely booked.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Rod

I sent an email to them three months prior to my departure. It took quite awhile for them to email me back.