Vatican Museums Cafeteria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having read somewhere that there is a cafeteria within the Museums, I'd appreciate some info from anyone who's eaten there. We have a Vatican Gardens tour at 10 am and a Museums tour at 2 pm. Although it might not be my top pick for lunch in Rome, eating there would be convenient and probably superior to some of the lunches available just outside the Vatican.

If you've eaten at this cafeteria, please comment on its location within the Vatican, as well as the variety, quality, and price of the offerings. Should we go early/late to avoid long lines?

Thanks a bunch!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:55 AM

It is located near the entrance to the Museum (or exit), after the paid entrance, but before entering the bag security area. I did NOT eat there, sorry.
While there are decent places to eat near the museum by avoiding the immediate viciny of the Vatican, I don't know how you get back into the museum.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:29 AM

There's no re-entry with your Vatican Museums ticket. Once you leave you'll have to pay again to go back in.

How did you book the garden tour and where do you meet for the tour?

Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:37 AM

I ate in the cafeteria a few years ago, it was surprisingly good. Lots of cooked meats carved while you wait, salads, sanwiches, vegetables, desserts, all kinds of beverages including water. Rest rooms down the hall I think.

I actually had taken a break after a guided tour. After lunch I went back to the Sistine Chapel for a second look.
I don't remember exact locations, but it was easy to find, plenty of signs.
It did get very crowded by 1pm or so.

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:39 AM

we ate there in December. There's a cafeteria where you can get a full-blown multi-course meal or there's a seperate area that has multiple pizza ovens and you get in line choose pizza as they're coming fresh out of the oven...yumm..it was really good pizza.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Eating in the cafeteria definitely sounds doable.

Adrienne, I booked the Garden and the Museum (including the Sistine Chapel) tours through the North American College's Bishop's Office for US Visitors to the Vatican. I read about it on this board. As I understand it, American graduate students lead the tours. I was directed to phone their office once we arrive to find out the meeting point. If you're interested in the tour, you can phone 011 39 06 6988 4676 or email at [email protected]
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Thanks Betsy...I just sent an email. I had previously looked on the Vatican web site and couldn't find tour info on the gardens.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:00 AM

We ate at a cafe about halfway round the museums, which I think must have been Sandi's pizza-only place. (We weren't on a tour, just going at our own pace.) We had a slice of pizza & a beer each, and I don't think anything much else was available to eat. It wasn't brilliant but was OK & a very welcome refuelling stop halfway round. We entered the museums c.12.30/1pm, I think, & by the time we got to the pizza cafe it wasn't crowded.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
We ate at the cafeteria in the museum and it was nice to be able to take a break and sit down a few minutes. The cafeteria is very large and modern and can easily handle large crowds. There were many choices and prices were reasonable. The food was good and you could even get wine in a box like the little juice boxes that kids drink. It won't be like American cafeteria food.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:54 AM

we hadn't even noticed the full course cafeteria until after we ate our pizza, then walked further down the hall and saw the other place. The food looked really good.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM

We had a late lunch in the cafeteria last Sept. The food was good and they had wine. When we arrived at the Vatican that morning we stopped in at the store [not the museum store]. Always thinking of the next meal, I asked the nice, British ? sales woman where there was a restaurant and she seemed rather shocked. "Not in the Vatican!", she responded.