Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vatican Museum Tour email no longer working?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have emailed [email protected] three times since May 30 to try to reserve guided tour tickets, but have yet to hear anything back. I was within 30 days of our visit and I've checked my spam filters.

Here is the text of my email:
"We would like ticket reservations for the Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel Guided Tour in English on July 1 at 10:30 am. If that date and time is not available, we can also tour at the later time. We would also be interested in tours on June 30 or July 2 at either time. The family members are(names & ages supplied)"

Has anyone had success with this recently? Any tips for me? We're leaving in 12 days! What are the next best tours?
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Some ISP screen out e-mails before your spam filter so you don't even know about it. AOL is one. Use an e-mail that won't screen and in your next e-mail, I would apologize for sending so many and explain that you weren't receiving replies.

If you still don't get a response, have your hotel call and make the reservation for you.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. My only other email is my work one, but I'll give that a try. We're staying in an apartment, but maybe I can ask the owner if they will try.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Yea! I finally have my tour booked. What a relief. I wrongly assumed that my home Roadrunner email was less locked down than my work email. Not only did I get my reservation confirmation from the tour office, but they sent this information as well:
"We have just sent your reservation. We answered to your former email but (and we don't know why) all email whose domain is @xxxx.rr.com are refused by the server." I will be sending this on to the Roadrunner folks.

For everyone out there who hasn't heard back, try a different email account. The email request system IS still working! Thanks kybourbon for your suggestion. We were sick about maybe having to stand in line for hours or missing the Vatican altogether.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:33 AM

onto:

I'm glad you got your response from them. It's an amazing place to see. Enjoy your tour!

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM

You need to fax your request. They'll either fax or e-mail back. This is what I did last October. Great tour!
Tom
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:55 AM

We just got back from Italy and had an easy time before we left with email and the Vatican Museum tour.

What was disappointing was the tour experience. It was extremely crowded (early June) and the Italian guide's English was a bit difficult to understand. Additionally, the earphone system leaves a lot to be desired. I had three change outs of my receiver box during the tour because of the breakup and static. Eventually I had to stay a few feet from the guide to maintain a decent signal from her transmitter. Because of the crowds, by the time the guide had described an area or pointed out a design in the tile floor, it was difficult to see.

Perhaps they let too many people in at one time and allow the tour groups to be too large. Others may not have had this experience, but we did. One solution might be to book your tour later in the day...ours was 10:30 am on a Saturday.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM

ontoeurope- I have been in recent e-mail discussions with [email protected] to that exact e-mail address. Just today as a matter of fact.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Sent fax this morning (in many e-mails going back and forth but they wanted order in fax), ran errand and upon return had my confirmation from e-mail I posted above. It says to go to certain door, away from lines, pick up my tickets and pay there.